SNY | The Boneyard

SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here’s the thoughts on the deal from Manuel and it’s impact on UConn’s relationship with SNY:
We are still working through the details,” UConn Director of Athletics Warde Manuel said. “We love the exposure on ESPN. There is more exposure in this contract with the league. How it’s going to work with men’s and women’s basketball and the exposure is still a work in progress.
“The contract is so new. We need time to look at the details…The important thing from our perspective is our fans of men’s and women’s basketball will see us and have access to our games.”

The deal kicks in for football in 2014 and in men’s and women’s basketball next year. The Huskies’ relationship with SNY will be affected on the football side the most with 90 percent of the games set to go on a national network through ESPN. Football had five of 12 games on SNY this season, the other seven were on ESPN platforms including ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3. As far as men’s basketball and women’s basketball, 63 percent of the new conferences games will be on national outlets in men’s basketball. The rest will likely be offered up to regional partners of the schools, such as SNY.

The women’s deal is different as ESPN is going to air at least 60 games this year of women’s basketball. UConn has a deal with SNY that promises a set number of games, 17 at a minimum according to the contract. How that works itself out is uncertain. The Huskies signed a 4-year $4.55 4-year deal for those games with SNY last spring. The big difference between the men’s/football deal and the women’s games is ESPN produced all the men’s and football games, and used SNY as a carrier. The women’s slate of games are produced by SNY.
“ESPN has always had first access to women’s basketball games,” Manuel said. “The games they have not shown and produced have gone to SNY. The difference now is (ESPN) has a desire to do more women’s games in the package. They may pick up more games and it still needs to be worked through. That’s good for us and good for women’s basketball and good for the league.”

Reaction Score
This is as we feared.

UConn is subsidizing the crap tv properties. There is no way around it. The monetization of UConn is just more apparent with the women. Also, Manuel is wrong. The current BE contract does not grant to espn the breadth of games he claims.

The time for sorting out the details was before the contract was ratified. As I wrote in the other thread, no way would UConn agree to give up so mucy in light of the special treatment given to Navy unless UConn believes it will never be impacted by it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Basically it sounds like Espn is going to show a lot of our football and men's and women's games on one of their channels but they are going to pay us

If this is true, then I can live with it in the short term. Not that I like getting paid , but that seemed inevitable in the NNNBE. But I'm deathly afraid of not having our sports air on tv to at least the degree that they were in the past (if not more). If we truly are going to have a high level of exposure, then I can perhaps come back off of the ledge...

Reaction Score
This is as we feared.

UConn is subsidizing the crap tv properties. There is no way around it. The monetization of UConn is just more apparent with the women. Also, Manuel is wrong. The current BE contract does not grant to espn the breadth of games he claims.

The time for sorting out the details was before the contract was ratified. As I wrote in the other thread, no way would UConn agree to give up so mucy in light of the special treatment given to Navy unless UConn believes it will never be impacted by it.

Whether it grants ESPN the breadth of games or not is irrelevant since UConn makes no money from selling football and men's bball. ESPN makes all that money. Doesn't matter where those games are shown, UConn is still only going to make $3 million yearly on football, men's and women's basketball (plus whatever CBS throws in).

Reaction Score
L
Whether it grants ESPN the breadth of games or not is irrelevant since UConn makes no money from selling football and men's bball. ESPN makes all that money. Doesn't matter where those games are shown, UConn is still only going to make $3 million yearly on football, men's and women's basketball (plus whatever CBS throws in).

Exposure, over the next few years, is more important than marginal dollars that wouldn't let us compete monetarily with Rutgers and Syracuse anyway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's pretty bad that they ended up with no money and no women's games to sell in Tier 3.

I know they got dealt a dead hand... But it seems like they roll over on everything.

The contract is predictably dogs*it, but they couldn't even hold onto women's basketball rights?

Reaction Score
It's pretty bad that they ended up with no money and no women's games to sell in Tier 3.

I know they got dealt a dead hand... But it seems like they roll over on everything.

The contract is predictably dogs*it, but they couldn't even hold onto women's basketball rights?

Not so sure WBB isn't better off:

"The UConn women’s contract is different. SNY is the local rights holder for UConn’s non-ESPN telecasts and signed a 4-year deal worth nearly $4.55 million for those rights last spring. How ESPN and SNY divide up UConn’s women’s telecasts remains uncertain. SNY produces the women’s games that are not on ESPN.

“We know there is great and unique interest in the UConn women’s basketball package on SNY,” Aresco said. “We will be working hard to give UConn fans the same access to their women’s games as we move forward.”

Manuel said it is too early to say how many games will be on ESPN and how many on SNY. He expects that all of UConn women’s games to be televised in the future.

“ESPN has always had first access to women’s basketball games,” Manuel said. “The games they have not shown and produced have gone to SNY. The difference now is (ESPN) has a desire to do more women’s games in the package. They may pick up more games and it still needs to be worked through. That’s good for us and good for women’s basketball and good for the league.”

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not so sure WBB isn't better off:

"The UConn women’s contract is different. SNY is the local rights holder for UConn’s non-ESPN telecasts and signed a 4-year deal worth nearly $4.55 million for those rights last spring. How ESPN and SNY divide up UConn’s women’s telecasts remains uncertain. SNY produces the women’s games that are not on ESPN.

“We know there is great and unique interest in the UConn women’s basketball package on SNY,” Aresco said. “We will be working hard to give UConn fans the same access to their women’s games as we move forward.”

Manuel said it is too early to say how many games will be on ESPN and how many on SNY. He expects that all of UConn women’s games to be televised in the future.

Yeah but it sounds like the rights went with the league instead of UConn getting all the rights fees.

If Warde is delirious enough to think this is better for UConn he should be replaced tomorrow morning. If he doesn't believe and is just saying it he and his boss should be removed immediately.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Wards came from Buffalo. If he ever faced reality there he'd be a suicide. Delusions kept the man alive for years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A thing to remember about Warde and his statements; this is just a job to him. Warde isn't a Husky. He has no equity in this school or this program except to the extent it lands him his next gig.

Don't read into what WM says. He's simply just saying the politically correct lines. At the end of the day he just doesn't have what we have invested into this program.

Reaction Score
UConn had an existing contract with sny for $1.2 m a year. If UConn allowed navy to retain its revenue for its cbs contract, and UConn didn't do it for wbb, it's just more indicia of malfeasance OR UConn's indifference to the Metro 12.

UConn could have had its cake (exposure) and eaten it too (the revenue). There is no reason UConn could not have exempted wbb from the espn contract. The diffetence is now, instead of UConn receiving $1,2m a year alone, it now has to split its brand with ecu and tulsa.

Tell me again how a navy home game is any diffeent than the brand equity built up in wbb by UConn? WBB IS uconn. Tell me again how the navy contract with cbs was preexisting, so needed to be preserved with the revenue all to Navy??

Reaction Score
If they lose the money from womens bball, there is no way to spin that as anything other than a bad job. Really starting to think this Administration is in over their heads on the athletics stuff.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
How many people AREN'T in over their head? The entire ACC is riding the razor's edge. For all the talk about the GOR, if Texas wants out out the Big 12 collapses. DeFilippo retired a fool. WVU has regrets about jumping to the Big 12 less than a year after doing so. Other schools, like MD and Rutgers stumbled into good luck. You can make the point that a majority of university administrators and conference flunkies are all in over their heads in today's CR clusterfluck.

Reaction Score
L

Exposure, over the next few years, is more important than marginal dollars that wouldn't let us compete monetarily with Rutgers and Syracuse anyway.

I know. We were discussing the dollars however.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why did UConn even let the women's basketball be included in the contract. What other program in this league has anything to offer? Aresco should have been able to sell the leagues men's bball and football and let the schools sell women's bball separately. What other team will a national broadcast pick up besides UConn? To spare you the time of trying to figure out who is in this league, the answer is nobody.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thoughts on the deal from Manuel and it’s impact on UConn’s relationship with SNY:
We are still working through the details,” UConn Director of Athletics Warde Manuel said. “We love the exposure on ESPN. There is more exposure in this contract with the league. How it’s going to work with men’s and women’s basketball and the exposure is still a work in progress.
“The contract is so new. We need time to look at the details…The important thing from our perspective is our fans of men’s and women’s basketball will see us and have access to our games.”

The deal kicks in for football in 2014 and in men’s and women’s basketball next year. The Huskies’ relationship with SNY will be affected on the football side the most with 90 percent of the games set to go on a national network through ESPN. Football had five of 12 games on SNY this season, the other seven were on ESPN platforms including ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3. As far as men’s basketball and women’s basketball, 63 percent of the new conferences games will be on national outlets in men’s basketball. The rest will likely be offered up to regional partners of the schools, such as SNY.

The women’s deal is different as ESPN is going to air at least 60 games this year of women’s basketball. UConn has a deal with SNY that promises a set number of games, 17 at a minimum according to the contract. How that works itself out is uncertain. The Huskies signed a 4-year $4.55 4-year deal for those games with SNY last spring. The big difference between the men’s/football deal and the women’s games is ESPN produced all the men’s and football games, and used SNY as a carrier. The women’s slate of games are produced by SNY.

What is this like Obamacare, you need to pass it before you need to read it?

Reaction Score
Another thing for you simpletons to remember is that part of someone's job as an AD is to spit a bunch of bulls**t.

I don't believe most of what Warde says the media is what he actually believes, and you shouldn't either.

Reaction Score
Another thing for you simpletons to remember is that part of someone's job as an AD is to spit a bunch of bulls**t.

I don't believe most of what Warde says the media is what he actually believes, and you shouldn't either.

But it's on the internet!

Reaction Score
I agree with the dissenters here. We should have acted similarly to how Texas treats the rest of the Big 12. I agree with bizlaw that exposure should be paramount, but it's still vague if "national exposure" means we're all going to be watching UConn games on our IPADs. I think we're the headmaster of this new conference and we should have been the on driving the bus on this new TV deal whether we're around 3 years from now or not. Instead I get the impression Warde was happy sitting in the back of the bus with his box of donuts.

Reaction Score
I agree with the dissenters here. We should have acted similarly to how Texas treats the rest of the Big 12. I agree with bizlaw that exposure should be paramount, but it's still vague if "national exposure" means we're all going to be watching UConn games on our IPADs. I think we're the headmaster of this new conference and we should have been the on driving the bus on this new TV deal whether we're around 3 years from now or not. Instead I get the impression Warde was happy sitting in the back of the bus with his box of donuts.
Sometimes you have to subvert your ego for the common good. Assuming that UConn may be stuck in this drek for the foreseeable future, this is the smart avenue to take. Getting maximum exposure in prime football broadcast time is tantamount. The appropriate analogy is when Wellington Mara gave the N.Y.Giants broadcast rights to the NFL for group negotiating the league's broadcast rights.

Reaction Score
Fair point, but once again i just hope "national exposure" isn't ESPN3. I hope they were smart enough and diligent enough to hone in on that.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to subvert your ego for the common good. Assuming that UConn may be stuck in this drek for the foreseeable future, this is the smart avenue to take. Getting maximum exposure in prime football broadcast time is tantamount. The appropriate analogy is when Wellington Mara gave the N.Y.Giants broadcast rights to the NFL for group negotiating the league's broadcast rights.

The problem is there is "Prime Time" 7 days a week and I have a strong suspicion UConn will be on Tues, Weds, Sun nights in "prime time". I just don't trust for one second that Aresco didn't get us a terrible, terrible deal.

Reaction Score
The problem is there is "Prime Time" 7 days a week and I have a strong suspicion UConn will be on Tues, Weds, Sun nights in "prime time". I just don't trust for one second that Aresco didn't get us a terrible, terrible deal.

"Aresco notes the conference plays football games on Thursday and Friday nights -- allowing for TV exposure away from college football's glut of games on Saturdays -- and says he wants to schedule football "creatively" for TV. And on that, he manages to point to an issue involving the league that seems to have been settled: "We won't be playing (football) on Mondays and Tuesdays and ESPN hasn't asked us to do that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport.../big-east-tv-rights-espn-fox-cbs-nbc/2000245/

"Aresco said the Big East won't be playing football on Sundays, Mondays or Tuesdays under the new deal. There could be "a Wednesday or two" to accommodate ESPN, he said, but the bulk of games will be on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-mike-aresco-catholic-7-negotiations/1957721/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom