SNY UConn Games Avail on ESPN3 - New Streaming Info | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SNY UConn Games Avail on ESPN3 - New Streaming Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A. is venting.... LINK

John has lost his mind. He's tweeting to Rebecca and others that the only way fans outside of SNY's footprint can watch SNY's games is on ESPN3. He's wrong and giving people misinformation. Fans throughout the country who have Direct TV, Verizon FIOS, A T&T U-Verse and subscribe to SNY can watch the games on their TVs. If I had a twitter acct I'd correct him.

Reaction Score
I just added SNY to my Comcast cable package tonight here in MI. The entire sports package cost me an extra 5 bucks per month for the 1st 6 months and then 10 bucks per month. Plus with Comcast I already get ESPN3. Considering what the old streaming package cost for SNY last year and CPTV before. I'm not having to spend any more money that I spent previous to watch the games, especially considering with the upgrade I now get the games that are going to be on ESPNU and CBS College sports.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with John's concern because it sounds like SNY no longer owns the rights to Uconn WCBB and nor does Uconn - they belong to the AAC!!! I think this has the makings of a disaster and I suspect that with those AAC rights Uconn is sharing whatever money they do receive.
Curious as to what other leagues actually pool broadcast revenue for any sports outside of FB and MCBB. I always thought WCBB and the non-revenue sports were free to make whatever deal they could and keep their money. Is this a first for a conference?

I don't think that most schools and conferences have to worry about it, unfortunately.

Otherwise, for the most part, I think the conference does get theirs. I don't know (or care to know) the details, but Texas's spats with the Big 12 have centered on its Longhorn Network revenue; various conferences instituted policies (grant in rights?) to combat this very possibility.

I do see that Oklahoma and Kentucky, among others, have individual TV deals with games on local Fox affiliates, but I don't know what happens to the money. I wonder who might?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
There will be no charge (as long as your internet service provider supports ESPN3 content) but the quality is definitely inferior to what SNY offered last year which was the technology used by MLB.

That's really interesting, especially since ESPN uses MLB to stream everything.

Reaction Score
when SNY contract is up no Uconn games
do you think ESPN3 will carry all the UCONN games ???
The other teams want exposer also
ESPN3 will carry all those AAC games {never}
Now what do you tell recurts {all games on tv????]
BIG LOSS
Here come the beggers {Cptv}

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
when SNY contract is up no Uconn games
do you think ESPN3 will carry all the UCONN games ???
The other teams whant exposer also
ESPN3 will carry all those games {never}
Now what do you tell recurts {all games on tv????]
BIG LOSS
Here come the beggers {Cptv}

The issue is production cost - ESPN3 doesn't do production they just stream content and ESPN isn't interested in doing production cost for the 17 games SNY is doing nor for any of the other AAC league games. But ESPN owns the rights so the last three months has been a negotiation between SNY and ESPN trying to work out the balance between ESPN3 getting the produced content to stream vs. SNY getting their production content to broadcast - I am sure it was messy and I am sure that it has changed the SNY bottom line for the contract they signed with Uconn. And it could trigger a voiding of that contract depending on how it was written as it has certainly changed the value of what SNY bought. SNY being a direct competitor to ESPN makes it even muddier than the negotiation would have been with CPTV.
I was OK with the AAC until yesterday - now ... please get us out of this league ASAP!

Reaction Score
I feel 'kinda bad for SNY. At least for WCBB that's a pretty underwhelming selection of games. I know, it's a new league but, they DO look like the "scraps".

PS: I'm sure SNY will sell more than enough advertising to "keep their head above water" <G> but it doesn't make them look like "THE" station for UCONN WCBB.

PS: I really like ESPN3 (for NHRA Drag Racing) and I hope folks who want to access the UCONN games are able to do so.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I feel 'kinda bad for SNY. At least for WCBB that's a pretty underwhelming selection of games. I know, it's a new league but, they DO look like the "scraps".

PS: I'm sure SNY will sell more than enough advertising to "keep their head above water" <G> but it doesn't make them look like "THE" station for UCONN WCBB.

PS: I really like ESPN3 (for NHRA Drag Racing) and I hope folks who want to access the UCONN games are able to do so.

The contract already let ESPN and CBS cheery pick the games so even last year SNY was left with the scraps - the ND, Baylor, Duke, Stanford, etc. games were already off the table. The scraps may be a little scrappier this year, but the SNY product was always mostly about the Uconn faithful.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
You can also get ESPN3 if you have Xbox Live

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
As I see these comments about SNY's bad luck, I wonder what the folks at CPTV think about all this?

Reaction Score
As I see these comments about SNY's bad luck, I wonder what the folks at CPTV think about all this?
They'd be in the same boat. Everything's all about TV rights these days, and the conferences serve as a wealth redistribution engine. The conferences ultimately own the schools now when it comes to media rights. In basketball, UConn is the big fish in a really small pond. This is why UConn needs to get into a real conference if for no other reason than the huge financial implications.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
This really sucks. None of the WatchESPN providers are even available in my area and while the wife and I have discussed switching to DirecTV, SNY is only available with the Premier™ package, which costs as much as we currently pay for phone, internet & TV combined.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
But at least UConn is getting money for this...oh wait...our wonderful commissioner (UConn alum nonetheless) signed over UConn WBB for an equal share with the other dregs in this conference.

Reaction Score
I live in Chicago, and I had the sports pack last year, which included SNY. This year, SNY is blacked out for Chicago!!!! I just checked ESPN3 and they do not list any WCBB games for Saturday?

Does anyone see it on their ESPN schedule?

Reaction Score
You can also get ESPN3 if you have Xbox Live

But you still need a provider that supports it

The aforementioned content is available on Xbox through WatchESPN, and requires a television and/or internet subscription package to a WatchESPN-affiliated service provider.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ESPN3 is now showing the Hartford Game on the schedule. :) Link

Reaction Score
This really sucks. None of the WatchESPN providers are even available in my area and while the wife and I have discussed switching to DirecTV, SNY is only available with the Premier™ package, which costs as much as we currently pay for phone, internet & TV combined.

On a purely technical note, a lot of mostly younger folks access programs carried by Comcast et al. over the internet by using someone else's password -- usually but not always the ones their parents have.

One can often do this over any internet connection (including college ones), and it gives one access to whatever channels the password holder gets at "home.' The ISPs seem to know of and tolerate the leakage, which often extends well beyond an immediate family as a student graduates and gets an apartment outside the ISP's coverage area.

This can get more complicated if Comcast et al. see that the password user is connecting from overseas, but one can presumably get around that with a VPN.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Not so. It is standard in the premium package, but you can add what is called the Sports Pack to lower priced DTV packages for $12.99 a month. Gives you about 35 sports channels including SNY.

Reaction Score
John has lost his mind. He's tweeting to Rebecca and others that the only way fans outside of SNY's footprint can watch SNY's games is on ESPN3. He's wrong and giving people misinformation. Fans throughout the country who have Direct TV, Verizon FIOS, A T&T U-Verse and subscribe to SNY can watch the games on their TVs. If I had a twitter acct I'd correct him.

Cat, your comments gave me a sigh of relief. I am completely confused by John's tweets / article. Can anyone answer this question definitely? I live in California and have Directv with the SNY sports package. Will I still be able to watch UCONN wcb on SNY? I e-mailed SNY last night but still haven't heard back. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my question. GO HUSKIES!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Cat, your comments gave me a sigh of relief. I am completely confused by John's tweets / article. Can anyone answer this question definitely? I live in California and have Directv with the SNY sports package. Will I still be able to watch UCONN wcb on SNY? I e-mailed SNY last night but still haven't heard back. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my question. GO HUSKIES!

Everything I have read says YES - SNY broadcast TV schedule should remain the same nationwide.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not so. It is standard in the premium package, but you can add what is called the Sports Pack to lower priced DTV packages for $12.99 a month. Gives you about 35 sports channels.

That is about the cost for me also...I have no idea what Toadfoot is talking about.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
1. Go to a sports bar.
2. Ask them to put one tv on SNY.
3. Buy a beer(s) and enjoy the game.
4. Tip your bartender well.
5. Repeat when necessary.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Thank goodness. John had me going there for a minute, not for me, but for my sister who lives in SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom