SNY UConn Games Avail on ESPN3 - New Streaming Info | The Boneyard

SNY UConn Games Avail on ESPN3 - New Streaming Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
SNYUConn- Link

Since I live outside of SNY Viewing Area, it looks like I get the UConn games free. My Cable Provider provides ESPN3.

Reaction Score
SNYUConn- Link

Since I live outside of SNY Viewing Area, it looks like I get the UConn games free. My Cable Provider provides ESPN3.

Hey that's pretty good (for us).....Direct TV does not carry ESPN3 but Apple TV does so I can get the games that way. Now the big question is what is considered 'within SNY's footprint' ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There will be no charge (as long as your internet service provider supports ESPN3 content) but the quality is definitely inferior to what SNY offered last year which was the technology used by MLB.

I'd prefer to pay for the better quality, but at least I'll be able to watch the games. I'd feel better if Saturday's game were showing on the ESPN3 schedule.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I have no problem paying for the service. However, I was getting concerned with SNY not offering new subscription information that I wasn't going to be able to watch the games that weren't nationally televised. Today's update is much better then I had anticipated.

There will be no charge (as long as your internet service provider supports ESPN3 content) but the quality is definitely inferior to what SNY offered last year which was the technology used by MLB.

I'd prefer to pay for the better quality, but at least I'll be able to watch the games. I'd feel better if Saturday's game where showing on the ESPN3 schedule.

U

UCONNfan1

I'll probably sign up for it. I actually don't have traditional TV service and use HULU so that's probably my best bet if i want to see any games.

Reaction Score

I'd prefer to pay for the better quality, but at least I'll be able to watch the games. I'd feel better if Saturday's game where showing on the ESPN3 schedule.

So to be clear....SNY is not carrying the games at all? I was going to upgrade my Direct TV to get SNY but that will not be necessary now?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So to be clear....SNY is not carrying the games at all? I was going to upgrade my Direct TV to get SNY but that will not be necessary now?

SNY will continue to broadcast the games but will no longer stream the games over the internet. You should upgrade your Direct TV unless you want to watch the games on your computer on espn3.

Reaction Score

Ah never mind....I just saw that the games will still be available on SNY with Direct TV if I wish to upgrade. I guess I will give ESPN3 a shot on Apple TV and if the quality is inferior will upgrade Direct TV.

Reaction Score
SNY will continue to broadcast the games but will no longer stream the games over the internet. You should upgrade your Direct TV unless you want to watch the games on your computer on espn3.

Ok I just upgraded and it looks like I will get the Preview show tomorrow tonight but when I moved the guide to the time of Saturday's game it is blank.

Reaction Score
So, if I have Dish and live in CT, I have no options to see the games? Will ESPN3 show the games in CT?

Reaction Score
ESPN3 shows games on your computer and/or tablet or phone. They put the games online and anyone who is registered through their cable or internet provider can watch.

Reaction Score
I can watch them while traveling.Awesome...............

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watch a lot of stuff on ESPN3 (soccer) and I've always got a good picture and steady stream. It's great because they will leave it on for a week or so and you can watch it whenever. A lot of times I hook up my laptop to my TV and watch it there.

However I get SNY so I won't have too. Best of both worlds.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
John Altavilla@jaltavilla 6m
Unless @SNYtv can arrange more autonomy for the marketing and use of @UConnWBB what is the use of it paying the school $1 million annually?

John Altavilla@jaltavilla 5m
I guarantee, this is not going to end well. @SNYtv got into this during an era that no longer exists. And it won't surprise me if wants out

John Altavilla@jaltavilla 13m
Folks, this announcement by @SNYtv about @UConnWBB should not surprise. ESPN owns the world. Remember you're concerns in old Big East days?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And those of us living outside the US are just SOL. Will just have to wait until the first shipment of dvds comes in from ol buddy Mike.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
More from Jim Fuller. What a dog's breakfast (as the Brits would say)... LINK

Jim Fuller@NHRJimFuller 2h
#UConn women's bb games televised by SNY will be streamed live by ESPN3 but those streams will be blacked out in much of Northeast

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of stuff on ESPN3 (soccer) and I've always got a good picture and steady stream. It's great because they will leave it on for a week or so and you can watch it whenever. A lot of times I hook up my laptop to my TV and watch it there.

However I get SNY so I won't have too. Best of both worlds.

ESPN3 usually worked well for me also but sometimes it had problems so I got a 30 trial with SNY on Direct TV and that will include other WCB games as well. So I will try both and make a decision down the road.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John Altavilla@jaltavilla 6m
Unless @SNYtv can arrange more autonomy for the marketing and use of @UConnWBB what is the use of it paying the school $1 million annually?

John Altavilla@jaltavilla 5m
I guarantee, this is not going to end well. @SNYtv got into this during an era that no longer exists. And it won't surprise me if wants out

John Altavilla@jaltavilla 13m
Folks, this announcement by @SNYtv about @UConnWBB should not surprise. ESPN owns the world. Remember you're concerns in old Big East days?

I don't understand John's tweets. This recent announcement simply means that SNY can not stream the 17 games it will be broadcasting. It's hard to believe that streaming was a big money-maker for SNY. SNY can still market the games and shows as it sees fit. The real issue going forward is that ESPN will broadcast UConn's best and most competitive OOC games leaving SNY with the blow-outs against AAC competition. I can see that reality causing SNY to re-think its relationship with UConn but that's separate from ESPN refusing to relinquish streaming rights.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree Cat. They paid 1 million to drive subscribers to their cable channel not to sell $60 subscriptions to games. In some ways this helps SNY because it gives them the cover of ESPN being the bad guy to push people to upgrade to getting SNY.

Reaction Score
I don't understand John's tweets. This recent announcement simply means that SNY can not stream the 17 games it will be broadcasting. It's hard to believe that streaming was a big money-maker for SNY. SNY can still market the games and shows as it sees fit. The real issue going forward is that ESPN will broadcast UConn's best and most competitive OOC games leaving SNY with the blow-outs against AAC competition. I can see that reality causing SNY to re-think its relationship with UConn but that's separate from ESPN refusing to relinquish streaming rights.
But how is this different than their (SNY's) expectations? Even before SNY came along, the biggest OOC games were always on ESPN or that one game on CBS. Did SNY suddenly expect that to change after 15 years? Maybe they thought the conference games would be better not expecting the Huskies conference to turn into what it has. This is where the conference you play in matters despite what others claim about UConn being unique. You can be unique, but it doesn't mean you operate in a vacuum. Granted we're not talking about football here, but the conference changes of the last few years are centered on TV rights which equals big money. Finally, did SNY really think it was going to make a lot of money through streaming? SNY is a regional network catering to the NYC area and its sports teams, hence the name. Their footprint and revenue potential has always been constrained by this fact and surely they knew that when getting into a deal with UConn. The good news for UConn women's basketball is that there is always a viable alternative in CPTV should SNY want out.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But how is this different than their (SNY's) expectations? Even before SNY came along, the biggest OOC games were always on ESPN or that one game on CBS. Did SNY suddenly expect that to change after 15 years? Maybe they thought the conference games would be better not expecting the Huskies conference to turn into what it has. This is where the conference you play in matters despite what others claim about UConn being unique. You can be unique, but it doesn't mean you operate in a vacuum. Granted we're not talking about football here, but the conference changes of the last few years are centered on TV rights which equals big money. Finally, did SNY really think it was going to make a lot of money through streaming? SNY is a regional network catering to the NYC area and its sports teams, hence the name. Their footprint and revenue potential has always been constrained by this fact and surely they knew that when getting into a deal with UConn. The good news for UConn women's basketball is that there is always a viable alternative in CPTV should SNY want out.

You're correct and I almost went back and edited my post. Yes, ESPN always scooped up the best OOC games; my point is that the conference games will be even less competitive than the Big East games. Yes, there were still blowouts, but at least there were interesting and sometimes competitive games against local teams like St John's and Rutgers. There was always interest in watching Villanova and Harry P or West Virginia and Mike Carey. Heck, I used to enjoy watching UConn play Syracuse. It will be interesting to see if ratings will be impacted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with John's concern because it sounds like SNY no longer owns the rights to Uconn WCBB and nor does Uconn - they belong to the AAC!!! I think this has the makings of a disaster and I suspect that with those AAC rights Uconn is sharing whatever money they do receive.
Curious as to what other leagues actually pool broadcast revenue for any sports outside of FB and MCBB. I always thought WCBB and the non-revenue sports were free to make whatever deal they could and keep their money. Is this a first for a conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom