SNY-streaming quality, or lack thereof | The Boneyard

SNY-streaming quality, or lack thereof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is anyone else having this problem on streaming? This game, it's the damn audio. Maybe 20% of it is understandable,. The rest breaks up or stretches out with breaks in the middle. Much less of a problem on the commercials. Just heard the Sam Adams commercial at 95%.

Previous games it was a variety of video problems, most related to choppiness. Now, maybe it's my setup, but I'm thinking not. Every game there seems to be some sort of trouble. I just do not think you should have to be a TV technician to watch these programs that we paid for.

Reaction Score
I am watching from NJ and the quality sucks.......I want a refund......Besides the poor play and the poor quality

Reaction Score
The sound is deteriorating even more, if it were possible to get worse. If I could get the service any other way, I would cancel.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm not having any problems with the stream for the past two games. Quality and Sound has been great. My ISP is Charter.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
My sound was fine but for the 1st time the video s##ked.

Reaction Score
I have watched all of the games and a couple of reruns and have absolutely no problems. I think your problem is your internet provider. I have Comcast here in Oregon and the streaming is great. I suggest that you check your connection speed. It has to be very high to have uninterrupted viewing.

Reaction Score
I eventually called the SNY tech rep, who had me shut down and start the computer. In the meantime, I tried it on another computer in the same house, and it was fine there. By that time the game was over, but when I tried it on the computer hitched up to the TV --our preferred viewing method -- it was fixed as well. The tech said that sometimes one browser will work well and the next time it won't, so we should be prepared to switch from IE to Chrome from game to game.

I'm sorry, but this seems to be a lot more work than we ever had with CPTV, as much of a pain in the a&& as that could be. My paranoia is increasing. I'm beginning to think this is SNY's way to get people to switch to a cable or satellite provider.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I eventually called the SNY tech rep, who had me shut down and start the computer. In the meantime, I tried it on another computer in the same house, and it was fine there. By that time the game was over, but when I tried it on the computer hitched up to the TV --our preferred viewing method -- it was fixed as well. The tech said that sometimes one browser will work well and the next time it won't, so we should be prepared to switch from IE to Chrome from game to game.

I'm sorry, but this seems to be a lot more work than we ever had with CPTV, as much of a pain in the a&& as that could be. My paranoia is increasing. I'm beginning to think this is SNY's way to get people to switch to a cable or satellite provider.
Some of us had that many problems with CPTV, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On the other hand, it was excellent on tv. I like the entire broadcast team...a lot. Kara is doing a great job in studio. I'm really happy for her.

I'm sorry that you are having difficulties but every game I like the move to SNY even more.

FWIW

Reaction Score
For me, both the sound and video have been great. I have Cox cable and browse with Firefox.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Streaming anything is always going to have issues from time to time. There were a lot of times when CPTV streaming would crap out, and I have had similar problems with other non-sports streaming like netflix. Typically the source is fairly constant as they use the same equipment every game and the same servers, but the local ISPs and the home PCs can cause great fluctuations in quality. The number or programs running on you PC, the length of time since the PC was last shut down completely, not just rebooted, the amount of browser history being stored, the cookies and browser add-ons, and the settings for antivirus software can all cause degradation of your system speed. And the speed of your video controller. And whether you have more than one PC actively using your router in your home at the same time can cause problems. And ISP speeds can also fluctuate depending on activity - I used to notice a real drop in speeds when school let out, and when dinner hour was over.
And with CPTV there was a big change when they started their high def streaming by the way. Many games would jump back and forth between great video and horribly pixilated video.
I had two PCs a laptop and a desktop, and the difference in quality between the two was significant most days.

Reaction Score
I experienced CPTV problems as well, but after one of their techs taught me how to adjust my system to accommodate their signal, things were basically okay. This, on the other hand, is a different problem every night. And while I am willing to believe some of it is my computer or my modem or my router or the browser or the ISP, I can honestly say I have just not had those kinds of problems with all that before. I'm just complaining to get this off my chest. There's probably nothing to be done.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else having this problem on streaming? This game, it's the damn audio. Maybe 20% of it is understandable,. The rest breaks up or stretches out with breaks in the middle. Much less of a problem on the commercials. Just heard the Sam Adams commercial at 95%.

Previous games it was a variety of video problems, most related to choppiness. Now, maybe it's my setup, but I'm thinking not. Every game there seems to be some sort of trouble. I just do not think you should have to be a TV technician to watch these programs that we paid for.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think it's interesting that folks are having the same issues with SNY streaming as they did with CPTV. So, either both organizations are technically incompetent, or streaming is a fickle thing and the vitriol tossed at them is misplaced.

Mostly, I have an issue with the inconsistent content distribution. I would gladly pay for the archives if they included everything SNY broadcast.

Reaction Score
I think the fickleness may come from SNY. Two service calls ago, I was told that one of my problems might be fixed by switching from Internet Explorer to Chrome. Oh, ok. Not a big deal. I installed Chrome and pulled up the next game and that problem disappeared, but a new problem emerged -- the choppy sound. So I called again, and this SNY technician told me to switch among browsers from game to game because browsers are changeable and the way they treat the game can change from day to day. That made no sense to me. I recognize that outside conditions can affect anything, but to suggest that IE is fragile and changeable and might do better tonight than it did last night is, well, not very credible.

The situation with CPTV, particularly when they went with HD, was completely different, at least for me. I had trouble with choppy reception, called their tech person and she talked me through some kind of adjustment --easily made before each game- that provided me with a not-wonderful but acceptable level of quality for all the games.

I do not find that SNY is technically incompetent at all. The problem is that they have no customer service conpetency. They are a B-to-B organization that makes most of their money from cable and satellite clients. They do not even have a customer service department. I know, because I tried to find it and they told me it does not exist. So, for example, if you want to call their tech service line when the game is not on, you get a tape recording telling you to send an email. And we all know how responsive they were when we sent emails, right? If you call when the game is on, you get a tech person who tries to help and often succeeds. But the larger question -- what caused you to need to call in the first place -- goes unanswered. And that is what a healthy discussion with a custmer service manager might get solved.

Finally, the best example is what I would really like to know. Forget the fact that we're treated like second-class citizens in terms of content delivery. I'm over that. What I want to know, and cannot find out, is whether I am going to have one problem after another for the rest of the season, game after game. If so, I guess they will have succeeded in forcing me to sign up with DISH, the company with the most obnoxious sales hucksters in the world. I imagine that will cost a whole bunch more than the Dish service I have now, but at least I'll see the games,.

Reaction Score
Cheryl and I had the CPTV hoopstreams for 2 years and the HD SNY streaming for us is so much better in terms of both video and sound quality. Have used the same comcast internet connection for all 3 seasons of streaming.

Reaction Score

No problems with picture or sound here since I switched from IE to Google Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom