SNY Ratings | The Boneyard

SNY Ratings

Reaction Score
SNY has been a win-win for the network and the program. SNY gets huge ratings while Uconn gets a great amount of exposure. I think the article gives too much credit to the Geno halftime interviews for the increase in ratings (even though I agree that they have improved). I think as the network says in their promo "New Players and New Conference". The freshman class (and one player in particular) more than lived up to the billing and even though the Big East games lacked suspense similar to the AAC games of the past, at least viewers got to see different opponents for the first time in 8 seasons.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like SNY’s coverage of UConn WBB. Gary, Kara, Meghan and Allen all do a wonderful job. Gary and Kara tee up the games for us while Meghan and Allen call the action. After having to endure some of the sideline broadcast personnel from other networks recently, I’ve come to appreciate the SNY team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The pre and post game shows are a must watch. Gary and Kara are really excellent together. He tees it up perfectly for her. In my house, the players are referred to by their first names except for ONO sometimes. It's as though they were neighbors' kids who played with our kids. Part of that is because the whole SNY presentation brings them closer to you as young women. Now we have to unfortunately endure the post season blab, blab, blab.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We are just very, very fortunate to have the access we do. It makes my household love the team even more. The return to the Big East may have brought some people back. Who cares about a game against a Shocker or a Green Wave?!?!?

Reaction Score
We are just very, very fortunate to have the access we do. It makes my household love the team even more. The return to the Big East may have brought some people back. Who cares about a game against a Shocker or a Green Wave?!?!?
It's not really a return to the Big East. That Big East is long gone. This Big East is closer to the AAC than a power conference: crappy teams with small athletic departments scattered across the middle and eastern part of the country. Are people really that much more excited to play Creighton and Xavier than Tulsa and Memphis?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Although SNY is UCONNs network, I have never liked "homer" announcers. Pre-game, Post-game, Bestwick all do a great job. Meghan, I can use a vacation from her. I didn't like the way she talked about Nika early on, asking Geno what he saw in her because she didn't see any thing positive. She knows nothing about the opponent players except what she reads in the program guide. Heck, she doesn't know alot about our players off the court. For someone who is as close to Geno as anyone, she doesn't share much. One thing I like about national broadcasts, whether the announcers are good or bad, is they talk about both teams. It makes the game more enjoyable for me. In Meghans case, the only thing we get from her about our opponents is their shooting percentage. How about a pregame interview with the opposing coach. How about doing some pregame work instead of giving us the same tired intro to the game that we get every night. I love SNY, but we can use a change in the booth.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Although SNY is UCONNs network, I have never liked "homer" announcers. Pre-game, Post-game, Bestwick all do a great job. Meghan, I can use a vacation from her. I didn't like the way she talked about Nika early on, asking Geno what he saw in her because she didn't see any thing positive. She knows nothing about the opponent players except what she reads in the program guide. Heck, she doesn't know alot about our players off the court. For someone who is as close to Geno as anyone, she doesn't share much. One thing I like about national broadcasts, whether the announcers are good or bad, is they talk about both teams. It makes the game more enjoyable for me. In Meghans case, the only thing we get from her about our opponents is their shooting percentage. How about a pregame interview with the opposing coach. How about doing some pregame work instead of giving us the same tired intro to the game that we get every night. I love SNY, but we can use a change in the booth.
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions the sideline reporter, Maria Marino, is not part of this years live broadcast team, she is part of the Pre-game analysis. Maria was the one that interviewed Geno at the half and end of the game last year. She also would have a half time interview with the opposing coach if the coach agreed to do one, usually right before the starting of the 3rd quarter. During the game she would have info on what Geno or the opposing coach had said during a time out, or stories on players either from UConn or the opposing team. This year sideline reporting is not allowed so Meghan is trying to do as much as possible when it comes to the interviews or player info.

Reaction Score
YES
It's not really a return to the Big East. That Big East is long gone. This Big East is closer to the AAC than a power conference: crappy teams with small athletic departments scattered across the middle and eastern part of the country. Are people really that much more excited to play Creighton and Xavier than Tulsa and Memphis?
YES!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
W
Who cares about Providence, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, etc. Not one in a locale to ever visit.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You are correct. Nostalgia doesn't work here the New Big (L)East, is just that and trending down. Any chance to move to a so-called P5 disappeared with the move.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Is has seemed from day one the SNY team had a negative reaction to Nika. Kara has improved in that regard. Meghan is sometimes commenting on some other game than what she is watching, and when Alan or the replay points out her errors her comment has been oh well.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
This is not the old Big East?!?!?! Really?!?!? I'd never heard that before. Guess I better stop checking my news feed every morning to see when they're scheduling the Syracuse and Boston College games. Thanks for setting me straight. Gosh, you're helpful. You should find a way to get that news out to the rest of the Boneyard –– for the millionth time.

I doubt there's much more excitement over Creighton and Xavier games than Tulsa and Memphis games. But there is a comforting nostalgia with games against teams from the old Big East – like St. John's, Providence, Georgetown, Seton Hall and Villanova. Feelings like that can draw people to watch – especially in the first season. And that's what this thread is about ... the fact that ratings are up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom