SNY ratings up | The Boneyard

SNY ratings up

Reaction Score
Good piece in the Courant this AM. Temple game on wednesday night broke our previous record on SNY. Better yet, the ratings beat Knicks/Nets on YES, a NHL double header on NBCSN and 7 college BB games on ESPN and FS1. This can't hurt - when the B1G network is scrounging for viewership in the winter, UConn could helpful in the biggest market. You'd hope that they would know by now that Rutgers doesn't generate squat and UConn can actually help.

Reaction Score
The ratings are quite impressive. However, the next conference realignment will probably come right around the end of the Geno era.

I think the most likely scenario for the Big Ten is adding Kansas and Colorado in the early 2020s (to take effect once the PAC and Big 12 GOR expire). They'll try to go after Texas but once it becomes clear that TX politicians won't let Texas come without Texas Tech, the Big Ten will realize that Colorado is the only other expansion option that makes sense. Denver is a growing top 20 market that would also bring the conference into another time zone. The "growing" part is key though since the majority of Big Ten states are either barely growing or losing population, a critical yet difficult-to-reverse situation that could have a serious effect on the Big Ten in the future.

Why would the Buffs leave for the Big Ten? More money, more stability, and political pressure. If Texas goes to the PAC-12, that would reduce the gap substantially between the PAC and B1G but who knows what Texas will do. Is Colorado willing to pass on the money and take the chance that Texas doesn't join the PAC? This would be happening at the end of the Grant of Rights so Colorado wouldn't be paying massive amounts of money to leave its current conference. Also, if CU leaves for the Big Ten, Colorado St would probably get invited into the PAC-12 so I could see Colorado politicians encouraging the Buffs to make the move.

As part of the agreement, the Big Ten would also take Kansas to make things a little easier for Colorado geographically. Both schools are AAU members and Kansas might be the best for out there for the Big Ten at the moment. The Jayhawks obviously bring great basketball and-just as obviously- terrible football. However, if Colorado can continue its recent success, the two football programs would balance each other out; Colorado would also help strengthen the Big Ten's western division in football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ratings are quite impressive. However, the next conference realignment will probably come right around the end of the Geno era.

I think the most likely scenario for the Big Ten is adding Kansas and Colorado in the early 2020s (to take effect once the PAC and Big 12 GOR expire). They'll try to go after Texas but once it becomes clear that TX politicians won't let Texas come without Texas Tech, the Big Ten will realize that Colorado is the only other expansion option that makes sense. Denver is a growing top 20 market that would also bring the conference into another time zone. The "growing" part is key though since the majority of Big Ten states are either barely growing or losing population, a critical yet difficult-to-reverse situation that could have a serious effect on the Big Ten in the future.

Why would the Buffs leave for the Big Ten? More money, more stability, and political pressure. If Texas goes to the PAC-12, that would reduce the gap substantially between the PAC and B1G but who knows what Texas will do. Is Colorado willing to pass on the money and take the chance that Texas doesn't join the PAC? This would be happening at the end of the Grant of Rights so Colorado wouldn't be paying massive amounts of money to leave its current conference. Also, if CU leaves for the Big Ten, Colorado St would probably get invited into the PAC-12 so I could see Colorado politicians encouraging the Buffs to make the move.

As part of the agreement, the Big Ten would also take Kansas to make things a little easier for Colorado geographically. Both schools are AAU members and Kansas might be the best for out there for the Big Ten at the moment. The Jayhawks obviously bring great basketball and-just as obviously- terrible football. However, if Colorado can continue its recent success, the two football programs would balance each other out; Colorado would also help strengthen the Big Ten's western division in football.

It's all very interesting about Colorado and KU, but that won't help the B1G do well in NYC. The NYC market is the "Holy Grail" for conference networks. We are talking about ratings on a mid week February night. Our women's BB team cleaned up against all comers. That is important now and will be for the foreseeable future. I believe the B1G and the ACC have taken notice. While wholesale conference realignment may be awhile off, being added to an existing conference because of current ratings in NYC is not out of the question.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It was WBB, the national brand, on a date they broke a ridiculous record. When FB or MBB does thus consistently, then we have something.

You can't sell WBB for what it would take to get a P5 to bite, even in NY.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's all very interesting about Colorado and KU, but that won't help the B1G do well in NYC.
I can't see the B1G poaching a PAC team. The two conferences have a fairly strong bond.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why would the Big 10 invite anyone? How does it help their bottom line? They are making say $50M from TV revenue. What incentive do they have add another slice to that pie? They already get a higher per subscriber fee in the NYDMA due to RU's presence.

The best argument that I have is when the bulk of the money comes from subscribers, rather than TV networks, UConn has a shot at being an acquisition that brings ROI. Colorado does not.

Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed that the two highest rated Super Bowls involve New England? Neither game was against the Giants. The game last night was the second most watched. SB 49 is #1.

Reaction Score
A couple of points:

1) We can't stay in the AAC unless there's a light (invite to BIG or ACC) at the end of the tunnel and it's 3-5 years away. We just can't do it - more important than wins and losses, the fan support for the average home game is getting killed. Now, with that said, the fan support is still there as evident by our strong showing in Dallas in 2014, the East regional in 2014, and this year against Cuse at the Garden
2) Did anyone else notice Wisconsin played Rutgers at the Garden last Saturday ? It's obvious that penetration into NYC is a focal point of any future plan for The BIG. UConn helps that penetration on multiple fronts. Delaney doesn't like competition (see Big 12).

Reaction Score
A couple of points:

1) We can't stay in the AAC unless there's a light (invite to BIG or ACC) at the end of the tunnel and it's 3-5 years away. We just can't do it - more important than wins and losses, the fan support for the average home game is getting killed. Now, with that said, the fan support is still there as evident by our strong showing in Dallas in 2014, the East regional in 2014, and this year against Cuse at the Garden
2) Did anyone else notice Wisconsin played Rutgers at the Garden last Saturday ? It's obvious that penetration into NYC is a focal point of any future plan for The BIG. UConn helps that penetration on multiple fronts. Delaney doesn't like competition (see Big 12).

The game had an announced crowd of 8500. UConn and Syracuse drew 15,500 in December. We still have it, but for how long?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The game had an announced crowd of 8500. UConn and Syracuse drew 15,500 in December. We still have it, but for how long?

As long as we win... we can't have to many more seasons like this.

Reaction Score
As long as we win.... we can't have to many more seasons like this.

True - it is UConn's lot in life (or at least conference realignment) that they have to perform well on top of all other factors. A reality that is truly nauseating when you see how the lack of success or even competence by Rutgers in all facets of its athletic endeavors was a non-factor when the B1G added them in 2012.

Reaction Score
Geno may not lose until he retires. That still might be 10 years off.

It is a thin thread we hold onto to slither our way into a better position. But ... Rutgers does not bring the B10 what they need. We fill the bill in multiple ways: We BRAND well; we do bring the BEST Women's sport; we do have a solid hockey thing going; our MBB will rebound and compete with the top 2-5 in the B1G as we still recruit top 20; and we KILL and draw in Women's. Yes ... I know the odds.

Reaction Score
Geno may not lose until he retires. That still might be 10 years off.

It is a thin thread we hold onto to slither our way into a better position. But .... Rutgers does not bring the B10 what they need. We fill the bill in multiple ways: We BRAND well; we do bring the BEST Women's sport; we do have a solid hockey thing going; our MBB will rebound and compete with the top 2-5 in the B1G as we still recruit top 20; and we KILL and draw in Women's. Yes .... I know the odds.

And IMHO we will be no worse then middle of the pack in football now that Randy is back. However, there is is no way we can generate the revenue they require for the next add, despite being in a Top 25 tv market. There needs to be another driver, such as AAU and shared research. Not sure that is enough.

Reaction Score
And IMHO we will be no worse then middle of the pack in football now that Randy is back. However, there is is no way we can generate the revenue they require for the next add, despite being in a Top 25 tv market. There needs to be another driver, such as AAU and shared research. Not sure that is enough.

That's off on a tangent

This is about TV futures in metro NYC and NE. Not some academic maybe or tie. AAU - another Cartel we got locked out of - is hard for us because YALE is such a presence in our small state. As a University, the B1G has to understand our rise and the fact that we have put together a solid academic construct. The small threads we have are with that B!G network need to seep further amongst the 39 million population in NY and NE.

Reaction Score

In fairness it is tough to compare attendance figures for two known draws at MSG versus a team from the Midwest and the basketball equivalent of a dumpster full of dirty diapers and Zika Mosquitos. The fact that UW v. RU drew 8500 fans is actually quite impressive, as I wouldn't watch that game if it was being played in my backyard.

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 10 invite anyone? How does it help their bottom line? They are making say $50M from TV revenue. What incentive do they have add another slice to that pie? They already get a higher per subscriber fee in the NYDMA due to RU's presence.

The best argument that I have is when the bulk of the money comes from subscribers, rather than TV networks, UConn has a shot at being an acquisition that brings ROI. Colorado does not.

It is incredibly difficult to come up with a scenario where adding anyone except Texas, Notre Dame, or maybe UF could add to the pot. Even old Delany favorites like UNC/UVA would have a lower probability of being able to grow the deal, although I think they would still get in. That said ND, UNC, and UVA, are locked up contractually and UF is not leaving The SEC. That leaves Texas. If for whatever reason they decide that they need a change, The B1G would jump to add them. Uconn might have a shot as #16 along with OU and KU. Maybe even as a # 20 if the networks could find a way to make the money work.

As to your second point I agree 100%. Uconn brings way more value in a model that does not depend on state population. I believe that The Huskies would be among the top sellers of a BTN Subscription based model. The ACC if they were smart would stop screwing around and add The Huskies on the cheap right now before the launch of their ACCN. They don't have the same ridiculous math to work around that The B1G has, and with a fledgling cable venture they will need quality programming to entice subscribers.

Reaction Score
In fairness it is tough to compare attendance figures for two known draws at MSG versus a team from the Midwest and the basketball equivalent of a dumpster full of dirty diapers and Zika Mosquitos. The fact that UW v. RU drew 8500 fans is actually quite impressive, as I wouldn't watch that game if it was being played in my backyard.

I wouldn't watch Rutroh do anything at the point of a gun...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It is incredibly difficult to come up with a scenario where adding anyone except Texas, Notre Dame, or maybe UF could add to the pot. Even old Delany favorites like UNC/UVA would have a lower probability of being able to grow the deal, although I think they would still get in. That said ND, UNC, and UVA, are locked up contractually and UF is not leaving The SEC. That leaves Texas. If for whatever reason they decide that they need a change, The B1G would jump to add them. Uconn might have a shot as #16 along with OU and KU. Maybe even as a # 20 if the networks could find a way to make the money work.

As to your second point I agree 100%. Uconn brings way more value in a model that does not depend on state population. I believe that The Huskies would be among the top sellers of a BTN Subscription based model. The ACC if they were smart would stop screwing around and add The Huskies on the cheap right now before the launch of their ACCN. They don't have the same ridiculous math to work around that The B1G has, and with a fledgling cable venture they will need quality programming to entice subscribers.

It's not going to grow. The Big 10 value has peaked. Every other conference TV deal has peaked.

Reaction Score

Just curious, does anyone think that Oklahoma would add incremental financial value to the B10? Their DMA is smaller than ours.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just curious, does anyone think that Oklahoma would add incremental financial value to the B10? Their DMA is smaller than ours.
Their value is augmented by their football brand and there perceived ability to pack stadiums.

Reaction Score
I asked this on another thread... In the current alignment who are UConn's top rivals in basketball? In football? Is there any consensus from UConn fans?

As an outsider I would guess that Temple and Cincy might be for both sports? Also Navy in football? Does SMU basketball or Houston football move the needle?

Reaction Score
It's not going to grow. The Big 10 value has peaked. Every other conference TV deal has peaked.

With that being said do you think Delany made a tactical error by signing a short term deal when he could have signed a longer term deal for the Big 10

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom