SNY questions | The Boneyard

SNY questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm thinking about getting a subscription so I can watch the Huskies on line but have some questions I am hoping those with the service can answer.

1. Is it compatible with Apple computers?

2. If you purchase the subscription, can you watch on multiple machines (I don't mean watching at the same time but I have a desk top, a lap top, and will soon have an IPad) or only on the machine you use to purchase the service?

3. How would you relate the quality and reliability of the broadcast, both for a live feed and for watching an archived game?

4. How is their customer service? The fact that I can't call anyone to ask some of these questions is not a good sign so far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
1. Yes. See minimum system requirements here... LINK
But you will need a Flash plug-in for your browser.

2. Yes. You are not limited to one machine.

3. For me personally, up until the last game the quality was excellent. Last game, not so much. Others have had differing experiences.

4. Based on the comments of others in previous threads, customer service seems to be non-existent.

Reaction Score
1: Have no idea about Apple. Does it say on the SNY site? I haven't looked.

2: Yes it works via password so multiple machines are possible. I have watched on 4 different machines.

3: Your quality is dependent a host of things. Some get good pictures and others at the same time have lots of trouble. Among the factors causing this are ISP, modem technology level, speed of receiving machine, and what other software happens to be active (anti-virus for instance). In my case, a Windows 7 machine had major problems - but when I finally cleaned out ALL of the cache (both IE AND Firefox), everything worked perfectly.

Understand that in spite of what you might wish the SNY net advertising pages say, a subscription really ONLY buys you viewing of the games (both current and archived). To date, I'm not aware of any GENO shows or other. Sure we get "segments" (which is what they advertise) but thus far, I've not found any full events.

4: Customer service: Speaking to a live person I've not tried. After we had all the problems with the W7 machine, I annoyedly cancelled our subscription after the first game. I kept trying stuff and then it worked on other machines. So we re-purchased. First we got an auto-reply e-mail that said they had gotten my cancellation. Just last week, we finally got the notice they indeed had given us a full refund.

All in all - I'm happy though I really really wish we got more of the full UCONN WBB stuff that is shown.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just would say that if you have a cable or sat company that delivers SNY as part of a sports package you are likely to pay about the same to buy that package for the season as you would to buy the streaming and then you get everything and better quality.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Just would say that if you have a cable or sat company that delivers SNY as part of a sports package you are likely to pay about the same to buy that package for the season as you would to buy the streaming and then you get everything and better quality.

Unfortunately, not available in Wisconsin where I reside.

Reaction Score
I hate the service, which for me has been riddled with problems. But it's the only game in town, so I'd say go with it if you want to watch the games. There is no customer service department, although their tech rep troubleshooters are competent. The problem is that during a game it can take a long time to get them on the phone.
You can run on multiple machines as long as they have the same address, or so the tech rep told me. I had the last game going on two machines trying to iron out technical problems.

In my experience it seems to run better on Chrome than on Internet Explorer. And the other poster is correct. Empty your cache.

Reaction Score
3) It's been hit or miss as to the quality of the broadcasts. We we unable to even watch the last 2 from the Paradise Jam, after a perfect broadcast of the first game.
4) Calling in to their customer service does no good . The first time, I sat on hold for the entire 1st half. The 2nd time, I was told to "keep refreshing every few minutes", and got nothing. What I DID get results from, was when I emailed SNY, and copied the UConn Athletic Director, and the Assistant Athletic Director/Business.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips, folks. One more question: Does anyone have experience running the system on Safari?

Reaction Score
3) It's been hit or miss as to the quality of the broadcasts. We we unable to even watch the last 2 from the Paradise Jam, after a perfect broadcast of the first game.
4) Calling in to their customer service does no good . The first time, I sat on hold for the entire 1st half. The 2nd time, I was told to "keep refreshing every few minutes", and got nothing. What I DID get results from, was when I emailed SNY, and copied the UConn Athletic Director, and the Assistant Athletic Director/Business.
May I ask: Exactly what results did you get? Did someone call you back with good instructions? Did they refund your money? based on the experience of others here, I have been reluctant to email SNY,. because you get form letters back. It appears you may have found the magic arrow, with those two other email addresses. Would you be willing to share them with the rest of us? Thanks.

Reaction Score
It works on an Apple.

The quality of the reception, both live and archived, in my experience, is primarily based on the computer. I have an older Apple and PC on which the reception is terrible- freeze-framing, pixilation of the picture, etc.

However, on a newer laptop with WIndows 7, it is fantastic, even on full screen- a really good quality picture- much better than CPTV, using the same laptop.

I have AT@T with middling broadband with wireless access. I have been told by a techy that a hard wire connection would give better results. He also said that Comcast gives much better broadband than does AT&T.

Reaction Score
May I ask: Exactly what results did you get? Did someone call you back with good instructions? Did they refund your money? based on the experience of others here, I have been reluctant to email SNY,. because you get form letters back. It appears you may have found the magic arrow, with those two other email addresses. Would you be willing to share them with the rest of us? Thanks.

Fred Harner" FHarner@sny.tv
maureen.a.o'connor@uconn.edu
athleticdirector@uconn.edu

Fred Harner wanted my phone number to call and discuss my issues. I waited until after the next game, and after things went back to "normal", I emailed him back and told him that things appear to have been resolved.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips, folks. One more question: Does anyone have experience running the system on Safari?

Yes, works fine with Safari. I connect my Mac to my HDTV via the HDMI ports and watch on the "big screen". Have had relatively few problems. Picture does freeze for a several seconds a few times every game, but it usually picks up where it left off so I don't miss any action. Note, I have a 15Mbps connection so depending upon your internet provider your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom