SNY . . . NBC Sports Net? ESPN3? | The Boneyard

SNY . . . NBC Sports Net? ESPN3?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
After seeing several posts from concerned Husky fans who do not have access via cable to SNY broadcasts of our favorite team's games, I did a little poking around. While I found no dependable information about the full 2019-2020 season's broadcasts listed as "SNY," I did find on the ESPN site a listing for the Uconn Women vs Cal game, 1:00 on Saturday on ESPN3. That has worked well on Apple TV streaming for me in Maine for the past couple of seasons, and I won't complain if that is the case for this year's "SNY" games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
After seeing several posts from concerned Husky fans who do not have access via cable to SNY broadcasts of our favorite team's games, I did a little poking around. While I found no dependable information about the full 2019-2020 season's broadcasts listed as "SNY," I did find on the ESPN site a listing for the Uconn Women vs Cal game, 1:00 on Saturday on ESPN3. That has worked well on Apple TV streaming for me in Maine for the past couple of seasons, and I won't complain if that is the case for this year's "SNY" games.
Papa33 I believe you meant to say Sunday not Saturday.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Yes, MSGRET, I did. In my excitement, I lost track of days!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not sure what your post is actually asking but as near as I can tell, the televised games on SNY will be streamed on ESPN3, just as in previous seasons.
If you are a SNY subscriber and have to stream the game, in previous seasons you did this by using SNY.tv. This year you have to stream it using the NBCSports app (apparently there is a SNY tab or menu item). This is only for streaming, the SNY television telecast has nothing to do with the NBCSN television channel.
My 2 cents and what is true now could change at any time. Be forewarned.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your post is actually asking but as near as I can tell, the televised games on SNY will be streamed on ESPN3, just as in previous seasons.
If you are a SNY subscriber and have to stream the game, in previous seasons you did this by using SNY.tv. This year you have to stream it using the NBCSports app (apparently there is a SNY tab or menu item). This is only for streaming, the SNY television telecast has nothing to do with the NBCSN television channel.
My 2 cents and what is true now could change at any time. Be forewarned.
I live in Western Massachusetts and the games are blacked out on ESPN3 live streaming; but they are available within minutes of the SNY game completion - royal pain. It may be that because my cable provider is from Albany NY they just assume I live in NY where ESPN3 Live Streaming of SNY games are blocked.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I live in Western Massachusetts and the games are blacked out on ESPN3 live streaming; but they are available within minutes of the SNY game completion - royal pain. It may be that because my cable provider is from Albany NY they just assume I live in NY where ESPN3 Live Streaming of SNY games are blocked.
Have you tried the NBCSports app to see if you have access to the SNY streaming that was previously streamed via SNY.tv? I am assuming that your cable provider also offered the SNY telecasts.
When I lived in the Berkshires, our cable provider offered tv stations from Albany, Boston, Springfield and a couple from NYC but don't remember if SNY was one of them.

Reaction Score
I hesitate to write this: I get ESPN one Hulu on Roku. I have ESP on DirectV. So on ESPN I get ALL the UConn games from every network--for the price of Roku. If this year the games are on ESPN+ then It will cost 5.99 per month vs the Direct cost of 13 a month. Bargain . So I'll watch ESPN 3 or ESPNU or ESPN on my internet capable TV and get a greater pix than on Direct

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I hesitate to write this: I get ESPN one Hulu on Roku. I have ESP on DirectV. So on ESPN I get ALL the UConn games from every network--for the price of Roku. If this year the games are on ESPN+ then It will cost 5.99 per month vs the Direct cost of 13 a month. Bargain . So I'll watch ESPN 3 or ESPNU or ESPN on my internet capable TV and get a greater pix than on Direct
You wrote, "I get ESPN one Hulu on Roku". Does that mean you get ESPN on Hulu on Roku? Do you have a Hulu live subscription? And watch it via a Roku television? And if so, does a Hulu Live subscription cost about $45 per month? I am confused.

Reaction Score
You wrote, "I get ESPN one Hulu on Roku". Does that mean you get ESPN on Hulu on Roku? Do you have a Hulu live subscription? And watch it via a Roku television? And if so, does a Hulu Live subscription cost about $45 per month? I am confused.
[/QU

You are mostly right. I purchased the Roku within it came ESPN AND HULU--I was in error with the sequence.

It is: Open Roku, then see ESPN, select browse to Women's basketball ESPN3 is free, so far all SNY, and ESPN U/ESPN games are free because I have Directv with ESPN on it. I don't buy the DirectV Sport pack to get SNY for 13/month If under some circumstances (it has happened) I need ESPN + then I can purchase it.
Hulu comes with Roku with in that there are packages to buy and some that are free---I only buy CBS.
Murdock Mysteries is my favorite Canada 1899 or so.
I have no hulu subscription. Firestick has a lot less free options and more to buy.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Here's my setup. Just substitute YouTubeTV with Hulu.
I purchased a Roku Express streaming device and connected it to an HDMI input on my Smart TV.
I opened the HDMI input to the Roku Home screen and then searched for and installed the YouTube TV app, a service that I have to pay for.
Once I added YouTube TV, I searched for the ESPN app and installed it, using YouTube TV as my TV Provider.
I then opened the ESPN app and the upcoming events, for the regular ESPN channels, ESPN3 and ESPN+ (even though I don't have the ESPN+ add on) are displayed.

Reaction Score
I have a Roku tV but mainly on a Phillips TV with no built in Roku. No subscription. I use a Roku streaming stick on the Phillips and Hulu, ESPN and a dozen others comes with it within most much is free all have something to purchase--all I buy is CBS so I don't need to DVR them The games are all available on Youtube that is also on Roku for free post games/replays, recently I got the pre- and post game interviews with Geno and the select team members. Roku at 5.99 is a steal, however I think for others it is now 7.99. Full disclosure the exhibition games were not on my ESPN or Youtube. But the pre and post were.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I have a Roku tV but mainly on a Phillips TV with no built in Roku. No subscription. I use a Roku streaming stick on the Phillips and Hulu, ESPN and a dozen others comes with it within most much is free all have something to purchase--all I buy is CBS so I don't need to DVR them The games are all available on Youtube that is also on Roku for free post games/replays, recently I got the pre- and post game interviews with Geno and the select team members. Roku at 5.99 is a steal, however I think for others it is now 7.99. Full disclosure the exhibition games were not on my ESPN or Youtube. But the pre and post were.
I believe the Roku stick is purchased, and the Hulu is a subscription for which you pay a monthly fee. At least that is how we do it here. What I do not understand is how you can watch live games on Hulu without a Hulu live plan that costs $44.95 per month. I must be missing something.

Reaction Score
Here's my setup. Just substitute YouTubeTV with Hulu.
I purchased a Roku Express streaming device and connected it to an HDMI input on my Smart TV.
I opened the HDMI input to the Roku Home screen and then searched for and installed the YouTube TV app, a service that I have to pay for.
Once I added YouTube TV, I searched for the ESPN app and installed it, using YouTube TV as my TV Provider.
I then opened the ESPN app and the upcoming events, for the regular ESPN channels, ESPN3 and ESPN+ (even though I don't have the ESPN+ add on) are displayed.
My Roku streaming stick comes with ESPN, and with ESPN on my Directv I get ESPN for free with all SNY and all ( the last few years) Uconn games at no extra charge. You too can purchase (I haven't ) ESPN+
Can you use another input other than the HDMI--both of mine that have the Roku require HDMI. The Roku TV come up Roku--no added device.
You can added the ESPN app directly to your Roku menu and not pay for YouTube--I dont.
I believe the Roku stick is purchased, and the Hulu is a subscription for which you pay a monthly fee. At least that is how we do it here. What I do not understand is how you can watch live games on Hulu without a Hulu live plan that costs $44.95 per month. I must be missing something.
I pay Roku for my services and the only ones I pay for are Roku and now CBS monthly. I won't argue the point because I haven't looked at the Roku site and my account for a while--you are probably right.
You again are correct---I miss spoke === or lied depending upon how you want to see it.
for clarity---Ignore Hulu, it's out of the context of this text---I call up Roku, it's menu comes up with a bunch of apps one is ESPN. No additional charge for ESPN I have ESPN on Directv. I watch the games on ESPN on Roku. Because I use Hulu often in the off season--it came immediately to mind and I was wrong-- I don't get ESPN on HULU.

Reaction Score
I'll tell my son in Law you are pleased with Apple TV streaming--he's a senior Engineering Manager there. He lives in Los Altos outside of Palo Alto

Bama fan

Reaction Score
My Roku streaming stick comes with ESPN, and with ESPN on my Directv I get ESPN for free with all SNY and all ( the last few years) Uconn games at no extra charge. You too can purchase (I haven't ) ESPN+
Can you use another input other than the HDMI--both of mine that have the Roku require HDMI. The Roku TV come up Roku--no added device.
You can added the ESPN app directly to your Roku menu and not pay for YouTube--I dont.

I pay Roku for my services and the only ones I pay for are Roku and now CBS monthly. I won't argue the point because I haven't looked at the Roku site and my account for a while--you are probably right.
You again are correct---I miss spoke === or lied depending upon how you want to see it.
for clarity---Ignore Hulu, it's out of the context of this text---I call up Roku, it's menu comes up with a bunch of apps one is ESPN. No additional charge for ESPN I have ESPN on Directv. I watch the games on ESPN on Roku. Because I use Hulu often in the off season--it came immediately to mind and I was wrong-- I don't get ESPN on HULU.
I understand more of it now. I get ESPN via Spectrum cable. Much like you get ESPN via Direct TV. So we both pay for ESPN through our respective services. And through the ESPN app on Roku, watch live or archived events. And the $5.99 you pay to roku each month is for Hulu. Clear as can be now. Enjoy watching, and Go Huskies.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I have the ESPN app on my Roku home page. And I do need to pay for YouTube TV because that's my tv provider and the ESPN app requires me to have a tv provider that has ESPN channels (cable, satellite or streaming service) in order to use the app and have access to ESPN3.

The End.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is for those of us who live in the sny viewing territory i.e. ct, N.Y. who were using frontier as a cable provider. Frontier drops sny and we can’t watch the games on espn3 either because these games are blacked out in ct and N.Y. due to an agreement between any and ESPN. We can switch to cox cable or to a streaming service that carries sny but it will cost $$$

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is for those of us who live in the sny viewing territory i.e. ct, N.Y. who were using frontier as a cable provider. Frontier drops sny and we can’t watch the games on espn3 either because these games are blacked out in ct and N.Y. due to an agreement between any and ESPN. We can switch to cox cable or to a streaming service that carries sny but it will cost $$$

If you already are using a ROKU/Apple TV/Amazon Fire Stick or any other streaming devices and/or have a Smart TV you should be ready to make the switch.

Call Frontier and/or go to a local office (if there's one near you) and tell them "I want to cancel my cable portion but not the internet". With Internet still active, you're good to go online and get an account of YouTube TV $49.99 + taxes (in my case I'm in CT and get SNY and other sports channels)...there are other live TV streaming services. All of these live TV streaming services usually give a free trial offer to watch.

If you're uneasy about making the switch right now, create an account for YouTube TV (or any other choice you prefer...as long as the other choice has SNY) this morning (Sun Nov. 10) and watch the 1pm game today for FREE.

If you are ready to switch (you dropped the cable portion of Frontier and got a FREE trial of YouTube TV) or just want to try the FREE trial...fire up ROKU attached to your TV, search and install the YouTube TV app, sign in with your account details and you should be ready to go...and SNY will be there waiting for you.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what station number espn3 corresponds to or is this another station frontier does not carry? I have looked in the frontier directory but could find a corresponding station number.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what station number espn3 corresponds to or is this another station frontier does not carry? I have looked in the frontier directory but could find a corresponding station number.

You will not see ESPN3 as a channel on any cable providers lineup. ESPN3 is an online streaming app. Any streaming devices (ROKU, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick....etc) and also Smart TV's (newer ones that also have built in apps). You can also get the ESPN3 app on a Tablet/Smartphone....but in order to see content you must have a TV provider that carries the ESPN, ESPN2...etc.

Nowadays there are three names for this ESPN3 app, previously called WatchESPN and now goes only by ESPN (again not to be confused with the ESPN channel provided by your cable provider)....clear as mud?

Reaction Score
In Pittsfield, MA. even if I buy ESPN College Extra from Spectrum the UConn games are blacked out. I found this interesting
1578325292045.png
blackout map on the ESPN website:
1578325292045.png

Centerstream

Reaction Score
In Pittsfield, MA. even if I buy ESPN College Extra from Spectrum the UConn games are blacked out. I found this interesting View attachment 49711 blackout map on the ESPN website:
View attachment 49711
Living in the Berkshires, do you have access to SNY?
I am guessing that you don't. When I lived in Dalton decades ago, there was no such thing as a cable package, you got all 20 stations or so.

Reaction Score
Not sure if there are any geographic or other issues, but ESPN on Amazon Prime has been carrying SNY. No extra streaming content charge - included within Amazon Prime cost.

Reaction Score
ESPN college extra does carry SNY in Pittsfield, MA and it does indeed show up on the cable listings for Pittsfield including the UConn SMU game; however, as shown in the Blackout Map the UConn games (only) are blacked out and unavailable. My last (and successful) resort is to watch them on ESPN Replay minutes after the actual game has been completed. Doesn't make complete sense and yet there you have it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom