SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football

Reaction Score
Can someone explain SNY’s reach to a person who has been in Texas since the 1980’s? Is it available throughout New York State? New Jersey? New England?

When I left, the Mets were on WOR (channel 9) and the Yankees were on WPIX (channel 11). Anyone remember that?
Do you go back to Mel Allen and Ballantine Beer?

Reaction Score
Football is dead. The quicker people accept it the easier it will be.

Fans in denial are falling for Every false glimmer of hope.

“We will be fine as an independent, it’s even better than AAC! Look at Notre Dame and BYU!”

“Ritter said they aren’t giving up on UCONN football!”

“President Herbst says they have options! That must mean they are good options!”

“We have the AAC right where we want them! They have to keep the football program!”

“SNY is interested! The lucrative deal will cause football to take off and never look back again!”

It’s over folks. The program is a dead man walking.

Nobody to schedule in 2020 and the transfers will likely be crippling.
Are you a supporter, like a jockstrap? Because you surely don't support the kids that wear the uniform.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is what I’ve been saying for some time. Being Independent and having the pull to get s TV deal, like Notre Dame and BYU (even if they own the network) even at lower $, still elevates the UConn brand. We look special and unique.

Reaction Score
Football is dead. The quicker people accept it the easier it will be.

Fans in denial are falling for Every false glimmer of hope.

“We will be fine as an independent, it’s even better than AAC! Look at Notre Dame and BYU!”

“Ritter said they aren’t giving up on UCONN football!”

“President Herbst says they have options! That must mean they are good options!”

“We have the AAC right where we want them! They have to keep the football program!”

“SNY is interested! The lucrative deal will cause football to take off and never look back again!”

It’s over folks. The program is a dead man walking.

Nobody to schedule in 2020 and the transfers will likely be crippling.

Sorry. I’m feeling this is a self-fulfilling prophesy by you. Let’s see - one week in & I am feeling MoJo. The greater Football Wisdom per media has us dead; however, we are still going to play.

We shall see

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
That's the NYC DMA, #1 in the United States reaching 7.1 million homes or 7% of the entire tv market.
I’d like to see mo
Do you go back to Mel Allen and Ballantine Beer?
No. Just Lindsey Nelson and Rheingold.

I also grew up with Jack Brickhouse and the Chicago Cubs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You would hope so, but just wanted to be conservative. Call it a straight $2 and it adds up exactly to the AAC deal without accounting for more exposure for MBB/WBB, better recruiting, and better experience for fans and still not accounting for other factors cited above.

Then factor in @BFieldHusky saying FOX deal can be renegotiated and that $4 million figure can increase too.
Don't forget that UConn had to pay for it own production costs T3 games broadcast on ESPN+. That meant investment in facilities and equipment so that we could do that in addition to paying for the talent and production staff for each game. That lowers the value of the American deal.

Also keep in mind that value of the deal escalated over the life of deal. We weren't getting $7M per year right from the start.

Reaction Score
Here are some quick numbers to see how this works if SNY stays involved:

AAC deal was $7 million for everything annually full stop until 2032 (12 years).

Under the Big East, you have the following:
  • we will assume $10 million AAC buyout amortized over 12 years is a loss of $830k annually
  • a buy in to the Big East of $3.5 million amortized over 12 years is a loss of $290k annually
  • I believe Big East TV deal nets about $4 million annually per member
  • current SNY deal was $1.1 million annually for some MBB, a lot of WBB, and 1 FB game along with Geno Auriemma show and some pre, post, game and year end shows
    • let's conservatively bump this up to $1.5 million annually for the same arrangement but with more FB
  • now factor in a figure thrown around today of $2 million in travel savings
To summarize, without factoring in higher attendance with regional rivalries in MBB/WBB, increased tournament shares from NCAA tournament, or an increase in donations, the Big East deal annually nets out $6.4 million annually based on the conservative estimates and limited info we have today.

I now see why UConn looked at the AAC TV deal and said no thanks.

Why stop there....can we sell them Hockey and maybe some baseball.

Reaction Score
This x1000. People are forgetting that the opening weekend of the AAF, a league with no brand power whatsoever before folding a mere weeks later, had better ratings opening weekend on CBS Sports Network than primetime NBA basketball simultaneously being aired on ABC!?! People love football, even if it is bad football.

I like how you just compared a national sports channel with a regional one and thought everyone would just nod in agreement.

Your apples-to-oranges comparison failed...miserably.

Reaction Score
Looks like all of NY State, northern NJ, and southwestern CT.

That’s pretty good, I guess.

...and yet not national.

But let's compare national ratings to regional ratings. No one will know the difference.

Reaction Score
Will you please remove the word “supporter” from your handle.

You are correct - I can no longer support the decisions of this rudderless administration. It is not lost on me that my handle is no longer accurate. I won’t post anymore, I promise.

Peace to everyone here and all who were on the football journey from the beginning against Indiana (and before). Lots of awesome moments for the program over the years. Enjoyed celebrating (and sometimes commiserating) on the board.

Reaction Score

My L? You're pointing to national ratings. Did I fail to mention that CBSSN is a national sports network, or did you conveniently not read that?

Did I also fail to mention that SNY is a regional sports network and comparing ratings from a national outfit to a regional one is pure folly? Or did you once again fail to read that?

Maybe you should take your L and move on.

I'm right and you're wrong

Reaction Score
My L? You're pointing to national ratings. Did I fail to mention that CBSSN is a national sports network, or did you conveniently not read that?

Did I also fail to mention that SNY is a regional sports network and comparing ratings from a national outfit to a regional one is pure folly? Or did you once again fail to read that?

Maybe you should take your L and move on.

I'm right and you're wrong

CBS SN and ABC are both national. The point is football draws significantly better than basketball. Obviously SNY isn't getting CBS SN ratings on UConn football, the point is football is in high demand and SNY will want the content.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Biggest thing UConn needs to build out a future schedule is P5's schools treating UConn like they do the AAC schools currently.

P5 schools have a "fluid" list of AAC schools which are considered equal to P5 schools for out of conference scheduling.

UConn needs that to effectively schedule.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
5.4 Million

If only we hadn't wrung out that joke last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom