Snowblower Help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Snowblower Help

Reaction Score
So I bought a Troy-Bilt snowblower at Home Depot this morning. My dads had the same one for 10+ years so I felt comfortable with the brand.

My problem comes with the Choke. When I start the engine with the choke fully open it runs fine. It even runs fine when I close it almost fully. However, when I close the choke, the engine sputters and then turns off. I tried this for about an hour today with no resolution. I let it run pretty long in the different choke stages all with the same result when I close the choke.

The snowblower has gas and oil is fine. Obviously this shouldn’t be happening with a brand new engine so I’mmost likely going to return it. Just wanted to see if anyone has any possible solutions before I do that. Thanks!

Reaction Score
My Troy Built has an electric start (and also a manual pull start). That electric start saved me a bunch of money because the manual pull start cord snapped in half so it's basically unusable.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
You’ll need a pail to bail out your house soon.
Animals will be pairing up 2 by 2, before I have to worry about that.

But, after this season , I will miss seeing the Huskies when they play USF. It was there where Senhor made his ESPN debut, as some may remember.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Another tip at the end of the season. Siphon as much gas as u can from the fuel tank. Then start it up and close the fuel line. let it run till it starts sputtering/stops U don’t want gas in the carburetor all summer it can gunk up the jets. By draining excess fuel for the tank first u are able to put in fresh gas next year. If u don’t want to do that. At least add a fuel stabilizer

Even easier - use a fuel additive. Not the winterizing ones, but Briggs all-of-the-time stuff. Never had a problem in even finickiest and least used engines of mine

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Another tip at the end of the season. Siphon as much gas as u can from the fuel tank. Then start it up and close the fuel line. let it run till it starts sputtering/stops U don’t want gas in the carburetor all summer it can gunk up the jets. By draining excess fuel for the tank first u are able to put in fresh gas next year. If u don’t want to do that. At least add a fuel stabilizer
I learned this the hard way with my power washer. Now put TruFuel in for the winter. Same with Snow Blower in the summer.

Reaction Score
So I bought a Troy-Bilt snowblower at Home Depot this morning. My dads had the same one for 10+ years so I felt comfortable with the brand.

My problem comes with the Choke. When I start the engine with the choke fully open it runs fine. It even runs fine when I close it almost fully. However, when I close the choke, the engine sputters and then turns off. I tried this for about an hour today with no resolution. I let it run pretty long in the different choke stages all with the same result when I close the choke.

The snowblower has gas and oil is fine. Obviously this shouldn’t be happening with a brand new engine so I’mmost likely going to return it. Just wanted to see if anyone has any possible solutions before I do that. Thanks!
Bring it back immediately. Anything with the Troy Bilt name on it being sold today is crap. If however it's an original Troy Bilt built in Troy NY or Syracuse, before the company went out of business and sold the name to MTD, then it's built to last 100 years. If you want quality parts and workmanship, don't buy any Troy Bilt products built after 2001. If you can find a used Troy Bilt roto tiller, tractor, or snow blower, built by Troy Bilt-Gardenway, pre 2001, buy it if the price is right. I bought a Troy Bilt lawn tractor with the snow blade attachment in 1997 and it still runs like a top. Except for the body shell it's cast iron everything, engine block, drivetrain, etc. If you want to buy something brand new nowadays with the same quality go John Deere or Kubota, but buy direct from the company, not from HD or Lowe's, those JD and Kubota products are also crap, built for those chains.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m in NH - we get lots of snow. The go-to machine around me is Ariens, with the occasional Honda or other brand. I’ve got a 9 year old 30 inch 11.5 HP Ariens 2 stage that I change to fresh oil every spring, and haven’t had a lick of trouble. Very solid machine. I used a Toro at first, but much less well balanced and harder to start.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m in NH - we get lots of snow. The go-to machine around me is Ariens, with the occasional Honda or other brand. I’ve got a 9 year old 30 inch 11.5 HP Ariens 2 stage that I change to fresh oil every spring, and haven’t had a lick of trouble. Very solid machine. I used a Toro at first, but much less well balanced and harder to start.

Ariens are the best combination of value and quality out there. My first 24” was still ok at 14 years old when I decided to upgrade in size and power last year. Honda is probably as good or better but is 50% more expensive.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
One pull started my Ariens this morning. 24” SHO. Straight up slings snow. It’ll toss powder 40’. Its got the same motor and impeller thats in their 30” model. I love that machine.

Reaction Score
My driveway is a hill so I got a Honda track And it’s good on a hill. It was expensive but FARMINGTON Valley Equipment picks it’s up and services in the summer they have a special. Electric and pull start I use the electric but the pull starts on 1 or 2 pulls. I’ve heard that Yamaha is the best but they’re only sold in Canada. They will throw snow 2 houses down from you. One tip, get some ice boot grippers, they Velcro on your boots, best thing ever, just leave them on the boots you do the driveway with if possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom