Snowbirding | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Snowbirding

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's off season, despite the ongoing pace of portal activity, with a couple of huge signings this week. That said, I've been meaning to pick the minds of the best and brightest on the Boneyard about splitting living across two locations. It seems we are about to take that plunge. We've decided to get a place in Bluffton, SC and plan to live at least six months and a day there and the rest in Mass (will downsize/move in Mass later).

For anybody who has done this or who has friends or family that does, any tips, suggestions things to think about? That can range from expenses to logistics of filling two houses with clothes and furniture etc. How you manage cars: 2? 3? Also, how you manage leaving a house essentially empty for 5-6 months (security, other issues). I have a good sense of the tax implications and how to best manage those, and Beaufort County SC has some unique wrinkles on property taxes. Things like Doctors came to mind as well. I'd welcome any information anyone has to share.

Looking forward to maybe watching UConn storm through the 2025 NCAA tournament outside on a screened in porch.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Buy 4000 cartons of cigarettes in SC. Sell loosies in MA. Profit.
Buy 4000 cartons dump ‘em and save a lifetime
I seem to remember the biggest issue was getting CT to acknowledge they weren't the primary residence (as expected... who wants to let taxes go away).

Betting if Edward has ever barhopping in Southie, he stayed on W. Broadway and didn't go near E. 8th.
We are well past our bar hopping days:)

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
As a guy who has made a career off of snowbirds, I think it’s overrated. I have homes in 3 locations. I only spend a lot of time at the main residence. I like to be in one place and prefer shorter stays (3 weeks at most) in the other places. However, I actually like where I live full time. I would say that’s the big issue. If your Mass home is truly “home”, it will be tough. If you are dying to be elsewhere, you’ll have no issues.

My dad has always said, “There’s something to be said for staying in one place”. It’s a very wise theory from my perspective. For clarity, my parents are also snowbirds, but ironically, they bought my father’s childhood home in Vermont to be their northern home. Just like I love CT, he loves VT. Your body just loves the soil it grew up on.
As my wife and I have said at the age of 72 we are closer to that old one place dirt nap so until then lets change it up. If one of us says I am not feeling this any more move on

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
That actually sounds like a community I'd love. Only thing is, we'd want to downsize considerably to a ranch on a small plot for gardening & dog. Not ready to go condo, and really don't want to dump our entire profit from selling our current place into somewhere we'd only be half a year. Our idea is to travel a ton. Not liking our options.
Then rent for a while in places you think you might like.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Call me Ed you scare me with Edward I think I did something wrong
Only used Edward as it's your screen name. But on my bucket list is Key West, the only corner of the continental US I haven't hit. And one of these days, Ed, you're gonna meet me there, and we're gonna toast Hemingway multiple times.

No bar hopping... pfft.

Reaction Score
I would talk to your accountant. It seems Massachusetts is becoming tougher enforcing the rules of residency and they will make sure you are actually domiciled at your new residence and have no intention of moving back to Massachusetts. They look at bank accounts (move them to the new location), organization memberships, voter registration, car registration, driver's license, ...

Reaction Score
I know people from up here in MA who bought houses in South Carolina and North Carolina. Serious question, what is the attraction? They still have winter down there but obviously it's much less severe and much shorter than up here. But December through February, the major amount of time you're down there for the winter, isn't exactly beach weather.

One of my best friends retired 5 years ago and bought a house on Cape Cod and one down near Charleston, SC. He just texted me last month that they're selling the SC house because it really wasn't what they expected. He said, "It's kind of Third World down here." It's just much different than what we've experienced around here and in CT our entire lives. As an example he was telling me how everyone litters down there and the side of the roads and highways is gross. That would bother me. He said there are days during the winter where it starts out chilly but then warms up into the 70s. But if I'm going to go somewhere in the winter I don't want to wake up and it's in the 30s or 40s. I also want more consistent warmer weather. Not a high of 75 one day and then 53 2 days laters.

I'm trying to talk my wife into renting some place in Aruba for 3 months during the winter to see what it's like. 80s and sunny everyday and at night it's in the high 70s. That's more my speed if I'm trying to escape the Northeast winters. Plus Aruba is safe and doesn't really have poverty. I have a friend whose sister-in-law owned a house in St. Thomas but that also comes with some issues since some Caribbean islands like that aren't the safest places and can feel Third World also.

Reaction Score
We bought a house in Venice Fl and downsized to a condo in CT, it was stressful but feel we are in a good place. This was our first full season in Fl and we loved it. We came down mid October, went back for a week at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and are heading back to CT next week for the summer. There is definitely more complexity to deal with having two homes but we are homebody's so it works for us. We keep a car in Fl, a car in CT and drive the SUV back and forth. In Fl we moved near some friends from CT so had an immediate social circle which helped the transition.

Good luck with you plan, there is a reason why so many people are Snowbirds so don't over think it!

Reaction Score
We bought a house in Venice Fl and downsized to a condo in CT, it was stressful but feel we are in a good place. This was our first full season in Fl and we loved it. We came down mid October, went back for a week at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and are heading back to CT next week for the summer. There is definitely more complexity to deal with having two homes but we are homebody's so it works for us. We keep a car in Fl, a car in CT and drive the SUV back and forth. In Fl we moved near some friends from CT so had an immediate social circle which helped the transition.

Good luck with you plan, there is a reason why so many people are Snowbirds so don't over think it!
Where is your legal residence?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We were looking at the Charleston area for a while but settled on Florida. We are buying on Amelia Island which is north of Jacksonville on the Florida/Georgia border. A lot of the feel of the low country you get in SC with the benefit of Florida taxes. Only a 30 min drive to Jacksonville airport from the island.
That was honestly our second choice. A friend of ours is there. We loved Fernandina Beach. But it’s a little more expensive and doesn’t really have the communities. I want to join the pickleball groups and meet people. Also, my parents are 45 minutes from Bluffton and are getting older now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would talk to your accountant. It seems Massachusetts is becoming tougher enforcing the rules of residency and they will make sure you are actually domiciled at your new residence and have no intention of moving back to Massachusetts. They look at bank accounts (move them to the new location), organization memberships, voter registration, car registration, driver's license, ...
I’m a lawyer and former accountant so yeah, all of that will be addressed. Everything will be in SC. But I’ll keep a house in Mass.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I know people from up here in MA who bought houses in South Carolina and North Carolina. Serious question, what is the attraction? They still have winter down there but obviously it's much less severe and much shorter than up here. But December through February, the major amount of time you're down there for the winter, isn't exactly beach weather.

One of my best friends retired 5 years ago and bought a house on Cape Cod and one down near Charleston, SC. He just texted me last month that they're selling the SC house because it really wasn't what they expected. He said, "It's kind of Third World down here." It's just much different than what we've experienced around here and in CT our entire lives. As an example he was telling me how everyone litters down there and the side of the roads and highways is gross. That would bother me. He said there are days during the winter where it starts out chilly but then warms up into the 70s. But if I'm going to go somewhere in the winter I don't want to wake up and it's in the 30s or 40s. I also want more consistent warmer weather. Not a high of 75 one day and then 53 2 days laters.

I'm trying to talk my wife into renting some place in Aruba for 3 months during the winter to see what it's like. 80s and sunny everyday and at night it's in the high 70s. That's more my speed if I'm trying to escape the Northeast winters. Plus Aruba is safe and doesn't really have poverty. I have a friend whose sister-in-law owned a house in St. Thomas but that also comes with some issues since some Caribbean islands like that aren't the safest places and can feel Third World also.
My parents have been in the Beaufort, SC area since the 90s. So I'm familiar with the weather. I don't want hot. I want a mix of short sleeve, long sleeve weather. I want to be able to be outside almost every day and I hate winter. 60's and 70's is fine for walking, tennis, golf, pickleball. In winter up north I'm inactive and it is unhealthy. I don't want hot summer in winter, I just want our fall/spring. There are tax and other reasons not to stay in Mass full time. We've been in our house 20 years, but most friends have moved away or will soon. So we won't keep this house much longer.

As for "3rd world" I don't know where that comes from. Beaufort, Charleston and Savannah are all lovely old cities/towns. Bluffton is mostly brand spanking new except the old downtown. Vastly more modern than anything in New England. Roads that actually work, my wife was amazed by the "infrastructure". As for littering, you seem some in rural areas, but Bluffton is made up of perfectly manicured communities for the most part. If anything the complaint might be that it's too clean. The Lowcountry area is gorgeous with live oaks, palmetto trees and water everywhere. The food is tremendous too. @Storrs South many places have stay packages where you come check it out for a week. Go look on YouTube lots of stuff there. Savannah is actually a little more affordable, could check it out at the same time.

Another plus for us is obviously my parents being 40-45 minutes away to the north. But when we picked Bluffton it was also because Hilton Head is 20 minutes away for beaches and even more stuff to do, and downtown Savannah is 20-25 minutes away to the south. We love Savannah, so having it as an easy day trip is appealing. We considered Amelia Island, which would be a bit warmer in winter and more beach focused as well as doing something in Orlando, which is certainly warmer if not Miami warm. But I think we'd be bored there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The wife and I are not snowbirds but we have neighbors who are. One couple, neighbors across the street go back home to Wisconsin, I beleive. The other couple, our next door neighbors, go back home to CT.

We live in a 55+ community in central Florida. Both couples leave around this time and come back around late September.
In our community. There are people who check on your home when you are away. Fairly decent income. So taking care of the house while away is not a problem. Both couples drive up. Wisconsin couple have a house in a community. Fully furnished. The CT couple have a large 5th wheel camper as their home. Both couple claim Florida as their primary residence.

Reaction Score
Been in Venice, FL for 7 years now. Snowbirds for the first two. Changed residence and car registration immediately. When in FL my daughter lived in my CT home, no worries there. Kept one car in CT as my wife’s mom was in her 90s and if need be had a car. Sold the house and saved quite a bit of money, between taxes, insurance, oil and power it came to thousands, however CT charged a 1% exit tax at the closing. We do go back for a bit in the summer and Christmas. Mostly daughters and families come down here, why not!

Reaction Score
My parents have been in the Beaufort, SC area since the 90s. So I'm familiar with the weather. I don't want hot. I want a mix of short sleeve, long sleeve weather. I want to be able to be outside almost every day and I hate winter. 60's and 70's is fine for walking, tennis, golf, pickleball. In winter up north I'm inactive and it is unhealthy. I don't want hot summer in winter, I just want our fall/spring. There are tax and other reasons not to stay in Mass full time. We've been in our house 20 years, but most friends have moved away or will soon. So we won't keep this house much longer.

As for "3rd world" I don't know where that comes from. Beaufort, Charleston and Savannah are all lovely old cities/towns. Bluffton is mostly brand spanking new except the old downtown. Vastly more modern than anything in New England. Roads that actually work, my wife was amazed by the "infrastructure". As for littering, you seem some in rural areas, but Bluffton is made up of perfectly manicured communities for the most part. If anything the complaint might be that it's too clean. The Lowcountry area is gorgeous with live oaks, palmetto trees and water everywhere. The food is tremendous too. @Storrs South many places have stay packages where you come check it out for a week. Go look on YouTube lots of stuff there. Savannah is actually a little more affordable, could check it out at the same time.

Another plus for us is obviously my parents being 40-45 minutes away to the north. But when we picked Bluffton it was also because Hilton Head is 20 minutes away for beaches and even more stuff to do, and downtown Savannah is 20-25 minutes away to the south. We love Savannah, so having it as an easy day trip is appealing. We considered Amelia Island, which would be a bit warmer in winter and more beach focused as well as doing something in Orlando, which is certainly warmer if not Miami warm. But I think we'd be bored there.
Sounds perfect and it's evident you have knowledge of the area and have thought through everything. My friend lived in Ravenel, SC, which seems too far from Charleston and probably why he got the "Third World" feel. I've been to Charleston and it is very nice. Just not warm enough for me. Friends of ours live on the west coast of Florida, Punta Gorda, and even that weather is too up and down in the winter for me. Another friend who lives in Florida during the winter joked that I need to live on the equator. Lol

Reaction Score
One thing about Florida taxes. It was surprising that my home in Florida has higher fees and taxes than my bigger home in Ct. Taxes, HOA, CDD and yard maintenance are much worse in Fla. depending on the situation. If you are in a condo the HOA’s can be $500-1000 per month or more. My brother‘s 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft condo in Tampa is $600/mo.
No state income tax OK but wait until you buy home insurance down here, OMG. Ct. is a bargain. Florida is not cheap anymore like it was in 2010.

Reaction Score
One thing about Florida taxes. It was surprising that my home in Florida has higher fees and taxes than my bigger home in Ct. Taxes, HOA, CDD and yard maintenance are much worse in Fla. depending on the situation. If you are in a condo the HOA’s can be $500-1000 per month or more. My brother‘s 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft condo in Tampa is $600/mo.
No state income tax OK but wait until you buy home insurance down here, OMG. Ct. is a bargain. Florida is not cheap anymore like it was in 2010.
U are correct on the insurance. But I’d rather spend and extra 2k on insurance and save the income tax

Reaction Score
Cost of living in the Naples, Sarasota, Miami, Palm Beach area is obscene these days. I feel like everything is on sale when I go back north now. However, I still like the lack of income taxes, taxes on cars etc. and the general lack of red tape regarding most things. It also helps that the economy is good and opportunities are ever expanding rather than contracting. We've seen a lot of growth in tech and science jobs which help drive things forward in addition to all of the tourism and construction money.

I can definitely see the pull of the Carolinas. Its temperate, somewhat affordable and offers a wide range of landscapes and activities.

Reaction Score
Sounds perfect and it's evident you have knowledge of the area and have thought through everything. My friend lived in Ravenel, SC, which seems too far from Charleston and probably why he got the "Third World" feel. I've been to Charleston and it is very nice. Just not warm enough for me. Friends of ours live on the west coast of Florida, Punta Gorda, and even that weather is too up and down in the winter for me. Another friend who lives in Florida during the winter joked that I need to live on the equator. Lol

Not wanting to be in a place that's hotter than the surface of the sun is why I probably won't bother with trying to change my domicile when the time comes. During the winter I just want it warm enough to do things outside. No need for it to be 90 degrees every day. That eliminates any desire to be in the south outside of December - mid April. Because of that we'll probably do long-term rentals during the winter and downsize our house in the Northeast.

But LOL at the idea that coastal SC is somehow "third world . . ."

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
When we first started snowbirding between Mass and FL there was a NY Times article about northeast states enforcing residency between their state and Florida. In Florida to establish residency you need to own property, pay property tax, register your car in FL, have a FL drivers license and a FL voter registration card. In the Times article the three states that were doing the most enforcement were NY, NJ and MA. Also in the article they reported that Derek Jeter's FL residency was being challenged as he had homes in both NY and FL. The IRS tried making the point that Jeter worked for the NY Yankees. Jeter won the challenge by pointing out that the NY Yankees are a FL registered company.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Charleston has become a bit of a traffic nightmare

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom