OT: - Snorkeling Equipment | The Boneyard

OT: Snorkeling Equipment

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks for everyone that gave a ton of great information in my Maui thread.

I want to do some snorkeling when I'm in Hawaii and I really don't want to rent equipment. As said somewhere when I was looking things up, would you put a lifesaver in your mouth after some stranger sucked on it then rinsed it under hot water?

Looking to spend about $50 to $70 on a mask, dry snorkel and fins. On Amazon, Cressi stuff looks pretty solid. I had a friend suggest Aqualung, but haven't found anything yet that looks great. I don't think I want a full face mask, but if you want to make that recommendation, tell me why.

Any suggestions for what I'm looking for?

Reaction Score
I thought the same as you and bought my whole family their own equipment from Snorkel Mart. They have packages of a mask, snorkel and fins that are priced less than buying everything separately. Bought mid-level to a little over mid-level stuff figuring that would be fine. It was fine and I had no problems with the order.

In retrospect I would just buy a snorkel for a few reasons. First is that if you sign up for a snorkeling trip you get the equipment so in essence you're paying for the rental whether you use the gear or not. Second is that it's kind of a pain taking your equipment with you. The fins take up a lot of room in your luggage.

On the flip side if you're going to do snorkeling on your own a few times on the trip or in the near future on other trips then go ahead and buy stuff. It's worth the investment.

A few suggestions if you buy your own equipment. Buy everyone a gear bag like this one or something similar. It's worth it when you're taking your stuff around. Buy booties since sometimes your feet get chaffed being inside the fins. I also bought neoprene strap wrappers that make getting the mask on and off your head much easier. And also buy some anti-fogging gel for your mask.

Have fun!

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that places still rent snorkels. Masks and fins, yes. Snorkels, no.

When we were in the TCI we had to buy. Same with Pennekamp in June.

Reaction Score
I mostly agree with HSer. For my family, we all have masks and dry snorkels. The kids’ are by US Divers. I can’t recall what brands my wife’s and mine are. I wear glasses and got mine with corrective lenses. If that’s an issue for anyone, I strongly recommend it. They didn’t cost an arm and a leg and drastically improve the experience. We buy masks because we get masks with purge valves that allow you to blow out through your nose to clear any water that has leaked into the mask. It is a great feature. I have facial hair and my wife and kids have long hair that is always making it hard to get a perfect seal. No problem. Down deep, and mask starts to fill up, just purge it. We find that just getting the fins on the excursion cuts the hardest part to carry. The snorkels and masks fit in luggage without issue.

Reaction Score
Go to a local dive shop and test a couple out. What may be comfortable on someone else may not be on you.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Go to a local dive shop and test a couple out. What may be comfortable on someone else may not be on you.
I get that, but I really want to have it in my bag from Amazon before I go.

Reaction Score
I get that, but I really want to have it in my bag from Amazon before I go.
He means a local dive shop near your house. So you can buy something before you leave for the trip. From my experience dive shops don't sell cheaper stuff though. They'll try talking you into buying an expensive mask you probably don't need for snorkeling. But fit is important so that you don't get water in your mask, which is a big PIA when you're snorkeling.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I want to do some snorkeling when I'm in Hawaii and I really don't want to rent equipment. As said somewhere when I was looking things up, would you put a lifesaver in your mouth after some stranger sucked on it then rinsed it under hot water?

Looking to spend about $50 to $70 on a mask, dry snorkel and fins. On Amazon, Cressi stuff looks pretty solid. I had a friend suggest Aqualung, but haven't found anything yet that looks great. I don't think I want a full face mask, but if you want to make that recommendation, tell me why.

Rent or buy there. Been snorkeling all over for decades never had an issue with rented equipment. Lugging that stuff around is far more of a pain. I want to say we rented from Maui Bob or Snorkel Bob, it's a chain on Maui.

Also, skip Molokini. It was damaged by storms years ago and hasn't recovered.

Reaction Score
He means a local dive shop near your house. So you can buy something before you leave for the trip. From my experience dive shops don't sell cheaper stuff though. They'll try talking you into buying an expensive mask you probably don't need for snorkeling. But fit is important so that you don't get water in your mask, which is a big PIA when you're snorkeling.
Yes I meant near his house. But it’s a fair point on price. I dive, not snorkel so definitely looking at higher end gear than probably needed.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've found Mares Liquidskin II at around $45 is a great fitting mask. Low volume and comes in a bunch of colors.

I use a black one for scuba and a clear for snorkling.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
If you want lightweight, high quality, slightly positive buoyant so they don't sink and powerful for good strokes, the Deep6 are really great Fins

If you're going to spend a little to have its worth getting good equipment. Stay away from heavy (I have Hollis F1 bat fins for cold water) or split fins. The Deep6 are shaped like jet fins but lighter and its a time tested design.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Yes I meant near his house. But it’s a fair point on price. I dive, not snorkel so definitely looking at higher end gear than probably needed.
Better to have good gear.

Reaction Score
Buy a mask , rent or use the chartered

Buy a mask , rent or use the chartered fins as they are a pain to travel with. Fins aren’t even necessary.
I just threw mine out I had a complete set but only took the mask on vacation. Unless you have an unusual foot size. I have a couple of timeshares in Cabo and i’ve Snorkeled many times in the Sea of Cortez . But nothing compares to the Caribbean. It just a pain to get there from AZ. Hawaii was a big disappointment as the times I went turbulence cut down on visibility A small shipwreck off Barbados was my all time favorite.place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom