Sniffing Out Our Potential Coaching Search Competition - the ACC and B1G Edition | The Boneyard

Sniffing Out Our Potential Coaching Search Competition - the ACC and B1G Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My team by team guesses as to who might be looking for a new coach at the end of the season, by conference:

ACC
BC - No, Addazzio in year 1 unless he is wooed away by a better job;
Cuse - No, Scott Shafer in year 1;
Clemson - No, Dabo Sweeney is safe;
Duke - Possibly, before this season started I'd say definitely but Duke is playing well this season so I think that buys Cutcliffe another season;
FSU - No, Jimbo Fisher is safe;
GT - Possibly, after a great first two seasons, Paul Johnson's last 3 have been .500 level…tough to replace triple option coach;
MD - Probably not, the Terps started the season strong and injuries derailed them. I think the injury report list buys Edsall one more year;
Miami - No, Golden is safe;
UNC - No, Fedora gets a 3rd year especially after a good first season;
NC State - No, Dave Doeren safe in year 1;
Pitt - Probably not, Paul Chryst only in year 2 and I don't think Pitt wants to go through yet another coaching search after the messes their past few have caused;
UVA - Probably, Mike London is 18-27 and this season keeps getting worse for UVA;
Va Tech - Probably not, unless the Hokies can arrange for Beamer to retire gracefully. He's a legend there which probably means he will coach for a few seasons too long;
Wake - Probably not, Grobe is just a few games under .500 but I don't see Wake making a change (they haven't for several years since their last winning season in 2008)

Summary: UVA and possibly Duke may be our main competitors from the ACC. UVA offers a better recruiting base and a better conference. Pay should be comparable to what UCONN can offer. I think we are a much more attractive job than Duke.

B1G
Illinois - Possibly, Tim Beckman's first 2 seasons aren't much better than Pasqualoni's. It's the whole "third year" debate all over again;
Iowa - Possibly, while Kirk Ferentz is seemingly grandfathered into Iowa's coaching position but it's possible they could look for a fresh direction. I'd say odds are 50/50, maybe slightly less;
Indiana - Probably not, Kevin Wilson's record isn't impressive at all but Indiana does have a signature win against Penn State this season and have played fairly well this season. I think he gets year 4;
Michigan - No, Brady Hoke is safe;
Michigan State - No, Dantonio is safe;
Minnesota - No, unless Jerry Kill decides to step down for health reasons;
Nebraska - Possibly, Bo Pelini has a great record but those fair-weather fans comments he made earlier this season hang over his head like severe weather clouds;
Northwestern - Probably not, a few weeks ago I'd say Pat Fitzgerald could be a candidate to bolt for a better job (he still might) but with the recent struggles, I think the NW grad stays another year;
Ohio St - No, Meyer isn't going anywhere;
Penn St - Possibly, Bill O'Brien just signed an extension but could the scholarship reductions weigh on him and force him somewhere else? I don't' think so but you never know;
Purdue - No, Hazell's first year has been a disaster but he probably gets year 2;
Wisconsin - No, Gary Anderson picked up where Bielema left off

Summary: Illinois and Iowa seem similar, both offer better conferences and wider midwest recruiting pipelines. Salary should be comparable to what UCONN can offer. While Nebraska is having a harder time recruiting Texas after leaving the B12, they are still Nebraska and would be a much more attractive position to a potential candidate. Plus, they would probably pay more.

Reaction Score
UVA's London is not going anywhere - top 50 recruiting class (right behind Oregon) plus:

“@CavsJournal: If fired, according to London's contract, he is owed every $$$ in base salary and supplemental compensation. Over 3 yrs, that's $8.1 mil”

PS - PSU just got 5 more scholies restored for next year.

Reaction Score
UVA's London is not going anywhere - top 50 recruiting class (right behind Oregon) plus:

“@CavsJournal: If fired, according to London's contract, he is owed every $ in base salary and supplemental compensation. Over 3 yrs, that's $8.1 mil”

PS - PSU just got 5 more scholies restored for next year.

Mike London has ONE HELL OF AN AGENT to get a contract with that
kind of buyout clause!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't see any of the ACC coaches going anywhere unless they want to. Fisher isn't really an NFL style coach, and the rest of the coaches aren't good enough to warrant an upgrade or bad enough to get fired.

Ferentz is on thin ice at Iowa. Pelini would have been effectively fired if not for the hail mary today. I think he is gone at year end. If Jerry Kill retires, as I expect, the replacement will come from the current staff.

Reaction Score
Mike London has ONE HELL OF AN AGENT to get a contract with that
kind of buyout clause!

Yup plus pictures of the AD... The buyout pool includes $3.0m for his assistants.

Reaction Score
Yup plus pictures of the AD... The buyout pool includes $3.0m for his assistants.
He isn't going ANYWHERE for a while...although he keeps up the losing..they will eat the last 2 years of that deal! I REALLY like our chances on getting a HIGH quality guy this year!!

Reaction Score

Wow. That's the kind of contract that gets the athletic director fired.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
London was the HC at Richmond before coming to UVa. How did he get a deal like this?

Reaction Score
London was the HC at Richmond before coming to UVa. How did he get a deal like this?

Two year contract extension done after 2011 when he was ACC COY and UVA went to Chick-Fil-A bowl. 3 years left.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken doesn't ferentz still have a pretty large buyout until 2020 if fired?

Dooley

Reaction Score
He isn't going ANYWHERE for a while...although he keeps up the losing..they will eat the last 2 years of that deal! I REALLY like our chances on getting a HIGH quality guy this year!!

This is exactly the purpose of posting something like this. If there was a year to be in the head coach market, this would be it. If USC keeps Orgeron (certainly making a good case) and Mack Brown gets another year (Texas has played better after the OU win), we aren't looking at too many high profile schools competing against us for top candidates. Of course, things change in a blink of an eye with this stuff but forecasting the future just based on record and how teams are playing, there aren't many competitors. UCONN and a $2M/yr offer may sound pretty good to a top coordinator or small school head coach making $500K/yr.

Reaction Score
Rutgers scored to beat Temple with less than 30 seconds to play at home. In other words we were 30 seconds away from having Rutgers as competition. For the first time in my life I was happy to see them win.

Keep an eye on Rutgers.

Overall this is a good year to have an opening, the competition seems less than typical so we won't need to go the retread route, sorry Houston Nutt.

I still think we can get ourselves a great young coach in Lembo, Campbell, Mangini, Narduzzi.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Don't forget Texas will have a new AD. And just by the laws of probability, a couple of the "safe" jobs may open up for whatever reason. Maybe someone takes an NFL assistant job which starts the dominoes going. Still, even if it's an active year and we don't get our first, second, third choice, I think UConn will be able to hire someone to have us better positioned for the future.

Reaction Score
Duke might build Cutcliffe a statue.

He might be the safest coach in the country.

Why wouldn't teams be looking at Cutcliffe as a possible coach. What he has done at Duke is tremendous. Why aren't other schools looking to pull him away from Duke? Wasn't one of Steve Spurrier's big talking points was that he could even win at Duke?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't teams be looking at Cutcliffe as a possible coach. What he has done at Duke is tremendous. Why aren't other schools looking to pull him away from Duke? Wasn't one of Steve Spurrier's big talking points was that he could even win at Duke?

Well he's 60. Seems to me he's a good fit at a place that loves him... Why screw with a good thing.

Reaction Score
My team by team guesses as to who might be looking for a new coach at the end of the season, by conference:

ACC
BC - No, Addazzio in year 1 unless he is wooed away by a better job;
Cuse - No, Scott Shafer in year 1;
Clemson - No, Dabo Sweeney is safe;
Duke - Possibly, before this season started I'd say definitely but Duke is playing well this season so I think that buys Cutcliffe another season;
FSU - No, Jimbo Fisher is safe;
GT - Possibly, after a great first two seasons, Paul Johnson's last 3 have been .500 level…tough to replace triple option coach;
MD - Probably not, the Terps started the season strong and injuries derailed them. I think the injury report list buys Edsall one more year;
Miami - No, Golden is safe;
UNC - No, Fedora gets a 3rd year especially after a good first season;
NC State - No, Dave Doeren safe in year 1;
Pitt - Probably not, Paul Chryst only in year 2 and I don't think Pitt wants to go through yet another coaching search after the messes their past few have caused;
UVA - Probably, Mike London is 18-27 and this season keeps getting worse for UVA;
Va Tech - Probably not, unless the Hokies can arrange for Beamer to retire gracefully. He's a legend there which probably means he will coach for a few seasons too long;
Wake - Probably not, Grobe is just a few games under .500 but I don't see Wake making a change (they haven't for several years since their last winning season in 2008)

Summary: UVA and possibly Duke may be our main competitors from the ACC. UVA offers a better recruiting base and a better conference. Pay should be comparable to what UCONN can offer. I think we are a much more attractive job than Duke.

B1G
Illinois - Possibly, Tim Beckman's first 2 seasons aren't much better than Pasqualoni's. It's the whole "third year" debate all over again;
Iowa - Possibly, while Kirk Ferentz is seemingly grandfathered into Iowa's coaching position but it's possible they could look for a fresh direction. I'd say odds are 50/50, maybe slightly less;
Indiana - Probably not, Kevin Wilson's record isn't impressive at all but Indiana does have a signature win against Penn State this season and have played fairly well this season. I think he gets year 4;
Michigan - No, Brady Hoke is safe;
Michigan State - No, Dantonio is safe;
Minnesota - No, unless Jerry Kill decides to step down for health reasons;
Nebraska - Possibly, Bo Pelini has a great record but those fair-weather fans comments he made earlier this season hang over his head like severe weather clouds;
Northwestern - Probably not, a few weeks ago I'd say Pat Fitzgerald could be a candidate to bolt for a better job (he still might) but with the recent struggles, I think the NW grad stays another year;
Ohio St - No, Meyer isn't going anywhere;
Penn St - Possibly, Bill O'Brien just signed an extension but could the scholarship reductions weigh on him and force him somewhere else? I don't' think so but you never know;
Purdue - No, Hazell's first year has been a disaster but he probably gets year 2;
Wisconsin - No, Gary Anderson picked up where Bielema left off

Summary: Illinois and Iowa seem similar, both offer better conferences and wider midwest recruiting pipelines. Salary should be comparable to what UCONN can offer. While Nebraska is having a harder time recruiting Texas after leaving the B12, they are still Nebraska and would be a much more attractive position to a potential candidate. Plus, they would probably pay more.

main issue with all of this is, we are not in the same league as any of the teams listed above. if you want to compare something go compare UConn to MAC, CUSA, SunBelt, MWC, then get back to me

Dooley

Reaction Score
main issue with all of this is, we are not in the same league as any of the teams listed above. if you want to compare something go compare UConn to MAC, CUSA, SunBelt, MWC, then get back to me

No program in those conferences will pay what UCONN can pay except for Boise State (they are paying Petersen $1.7M/yr). I'm talking about head coach salary AND assistant coach salaries. UCONN's candidate pool should be MUCH better than 2011.

Reaction Score
No program in those conferences will pay what UCONN can pay except for Boise State (they are paying Petersen $1.7M/yr). I'm talking about head coach salary AND assistant coach salaries. UCONN's candidate pool should be MUCH better than 2011.

Money-wise, it could be that Mr. Burton has agreed to add a "kicker" or two. He seems to be assisting in the search.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We all assume that these assistants want to leave for UConn. I know $2 mill is a nice number and all but we need to stop and consider that these "hot" coordinators could very easily say, "No thanks" and wait to see what the next season brings in terms of jobs. I truly hope I'm wrong and that won't happen, but there's no reason that a coordinator HAS to take a HC position this off-season.

Reaction Score
We all assume that these assistants want to leave for UConn. I know $2 mill is a nice number and all but we need to stop and consider that these "hot" coordinators could very easily say, "No thanks" and wait to see what the next season brings in terms of jobs. I truly hope I'm wrong and that won't happen, but there's no reason that a coordinator HAS to take a HC position this off-season.

Has to? No. But it's good money, and you always run the risk of your star losing a little luster. UConn is a state school that traditionally has gotten great support from its state government. All in all, this will be a pretty good job and they will draw a better candidate pool than the last go round.

Reaction Score
If a guy wants to be a head coach he has to be careful about turning down jobs...case in point Clemson DC Brent Venables. 2-3 seasons ago he was on or near the top of every "next hot young head coaching candidate list" . It looked like he was trying to find that "perfect" job where he couldn't fail. His boss Bob Stoops was even quoted as saying this was what he as doing. Fast forward to this seaon...he has taken the DC job at Clemson and if you read his quote in the espn article announcing his hiring at Clemson..it says he went there to give him a better opportunity at a head coaching job. This guy isn't even on the top hiring lists put out any more. He is a GREAT example of what happens when you try to cherry pick a hc job. We all know here...these jobs are open for a reason. And when these guys look at a job opening and see facilities, a AD and predident who have gone all in with salary, Asst salary pool and all other resources they will have to ake a long hard look at tbis job.

Reaction Score
Let's look at the positives that will attract candidates:
Burton & Schenkman Complex, the RENT, ability to pay attractive compensation, compliance support in place for student athletes, administrative backing for success.
Warde has to identify a coach who wants to use these tools to the utmost & achieve success on the playing field.
I don't care if he's a head coach from a lower level, an unemployed former coach who wishes to get back into coaching, or an assistant who wishes to strike out on his own. I just want him to be able to turn this Titanic out of the path of the iceberg & successfully pilot UConn to the port of WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom