SMU Lowers Concession Prices To “Value” Prices | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SMU Lowers Concession Prices To “Value” Prices

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They did pre-game happy hour with Hockey at XL.

I always liked the idea of turning the entire area under the scoreboard into a semi covered/outdoor sports bar area.
Perfect place for a pregame meet and greet.
  • Gets people in the door,
  • utilizes that wacky carve out,
  • rewards ST holders
  • have AD Dave walk around and ask people for advise or comments
  • actually act on that advise when it makes sense
  • have Geno, Hurley, Penders and Cavanaugh show up alternate days
  • invite back some alumni to be guest of the university and do meet and greet.
  • Obviously football players, but invite back the 1999 MBB team to be the guests of university one week. Then the 1995 WBB team, etc. There only commitment is to do the meet and great. After that they hang out and watch the game.
As my friend Chief so insightfully says it is about creating (the perception of) value. This costs us next to nothing to do but would add value to Season ticket holders's annual investment to the university.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No attack Chiefoo but they have adequate stadium gates already for a band box that only seats 40K. Your idea adds to the cost of business and not needed.
Problem standing in line is solved by getting to the gate 10 minutes sooner. That and starting the tailgate as early as possible...;)
I once (inexplicably) went on record as suggesting that maybe the solution to getting fans through the gates and to their seats on time would be to enforce reduced tailgating (I know, I know :confused::rolleyes::eek::(:confused::oops::eek:.)

Here is the crux my reasoning:

"...we do two full meals (breakfast and lunch) and munchies in between within 4 1/4 hours. Our MO is to get inside by the end of the National Anthem, but there is certainly a positive non-zero chance that the timing slips.

Less tailgate time means one meal and less food. "

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
As an SMU season ticket holder on and off for 20 years, this is appreciated. There are few things more frustrating than spending $10 for a ticket and $35 on concessions.

SMU and all of the AAC schools need to eliminate the reasons for not attending the games. Scratch high concession prices off that list.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Other than beer and water are concession prices really a big deal?

Doesn’t almost everyone eat in the parking lot before the game?
At SMU, we usually eat at Burger House before games. It's a very informal dive with (of course) great burgers.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
As an SMU season ticket holder on and off for 20 years, this is appreciated. There are few things more frustrating than spending $10 for a ticket and $35 on concessions.

SMU and all of the AAC schools need to eliminate the reasons for not attending the games. Scratch high concession prices off that list.
Honestly, I view it the other way around. If they left concessions at their current prices but lowered ticket prices at all sportvs venues, not just UConn, they'd get more folks in the stadium.

My buddy and I were just talking about this last night. He said he got an email from the Yankees advertising seats at a "great price" still available for a Tuesday night game. He clicked on the link to check it out. Seats were outfield seats and they were $50, before fees. When the heck did that become cheap???

I'd gladly pay prices for food at a higher rate and paying a lot less for tickets. I do it at Yard Goat games. I don't mind paying 8-12 bucks a ticket and then buying beer or food for the family at a higher price. It sounds silly but I'm more likely to go to a game if the price is cheap for tickets.

C

Chief00

I once (inexplicably) went on record as suggesting that maybe the solution to getting fans through the gates and to their seats on time would be to enforce reduced tailgating (I know, I know :confused::rolleyes::eek::(:confused::oops::eek:.)

Here is the crux my reasoning:

"...we do two full meals (breakfast and lunch) and munchies in between within 4 1/4 hours. Our MO is to get inside by the end of the National Anthem, but there is certainly a positive non-zero chance that the timing slips.

Less tailgate time means one meal and less food. "

My philosophy on customers is to listen - and generally don’t take away something they like - give them options and let them choose - if you want the customer to change their behavior create a better option than the current one. When you do that, it’s amazing how the goals/results of the business and the goals/results of the customer align - and everyone walks away very happy.

#ChiefKnowsBiz101

C

Chief00

Honestly, I view it the other way around. If they left concessions at their current prices but lowered ticket prices at all sportvs venues, not just UConn, they'd get more folks in the stadium.

My buddy and I were just talking about this last night. He said he got an email from the Yankees advertising seats at a "great price" still available for a Tuesday night game. He clicked on the link to check it out. Seats were outfield seats and they were $50, before fees. When the heck did that become cheap???

I'd gladly pay prices for food at a higher rate and paying a lot less for tickets. I do it at Yard Goat games. I don't mind paying 8-12 bucks a ticket and then buying beer or food for the family at a higher price. It sounds silly but I'm more likely to go to a game if the price is cheap for tickets.

Problem is at The Rent the ticket dollars and concession dollars go into different entity’s pockets. The Yard Goat owner cut a much better deal than UConn did. Is that a surprise?

#ChiefKnowsBiz101

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Problem is at The Rent the ticket dollars and concession dollars go into different entity’s pockets. The Yard Goat owner cut a much better deal than UConn did. Is that a surprise?

#ChiefKnowsBiz101

It’s a wee bit different dynamic - but the fact UConn doesn’t get paid on parking or concessions and can’t really influence them much kills them.

C

Chief00

It’s a wee bit different dynamic - but the fact UConn doesn’t get paid on parking or concessions and can’t really influence them much kills them.
This will get me in trouble - but given UConn’s finances - having nonprofits get the haul on the beer booths with probably some payoff larger than we will ever know to the stadium management company is pretty ridiculous. If we are selling out ok - but not getting a cut is a really bad contract given our realities.

Reaction Score
This will get me in trouble - but given UConn’s finances - having nonprofits get the haul on the beer booths with probably some payoff larger than we will ever know to the stadium management company is pretty ridiculous. If we are selling out ok - but not getting a cut is a really bad contract given our realities.

Isn’t it the other way around - Spectra controls the “beer booths” (and liquor license) and some small percentage of revenue (and tips?) go to the organizations that staff the booths on a given game day?

If concession (Spectra)/parking revenues (Laz) go down it will only be made up in an increase in the per game rental cost UConn pays the State (via CRDA/OPM).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

My understanding is those volunteers are getting hosed if you do the math.

C

Chief00

My understanding is those volunteers are getting hosed if you do the math.
Probably true - it’s like most CT state projects - someone with political connections is walking away with most of the money. The cut for the non profits supplies free labor and a facade. Having said that it does fund a pretty good safe graduation type event compared to other fund raising.

C

Chief00

Isn’t it the other way around - Spectra controls the “beer booths” (and liquor license) and some small percentage of revenue (and tips?) go to the organizations that staff the booths on a given game day?

If concession (Spectra)/parking revenues (Laz) go down it will only be made up in an increase in the per game rental cost UConn pays the State (via CRDA/OPM).

Don’t disagree and that’s basically what I said regarding the beer booths with some sacrasm. “with probably some payoff larger than we will ever know to the stadium management company is pretty ridiculous.”

Check the two vendors and they both have political connections. Then check the CRDA and it’s basically a state agency without the transparency required for true state agencies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

I'm in Dallas and I often buy SMU end zone season tickets (front row) for about $10 per seat per game. You can't go much lower than that. Ticket prices are very reasonable here. I just don't like having to pay $6 for a Coke or $8 for a slice of pizza. Those are not normal Texas prices.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom