SMU Lowers Concession Prices To “Value” Prices | The Boneyard

SMU Lowers Concession Prices To “Value” Prices

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Other than beer and water are concession prices really a big deal?

Doesn’t almost everyone eat in the parking lot before the game?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Yes. Haven’t spent over$20 for food since the Rent opened.
$5 for 16 oz presumably miller lite type hooch ain’t bad. Good for SMU

I recall getting a 16 oz craft can at the kiosks last season at the Remt for 8$ I think.

Reaction Score

I have my last beer in the stadium. $10 is a lot even for Two Roads but 1) I like a Two Roads 2) trying to support concession sales a bit and a local CT brewery.

Reaction Score
The best way to get people in The Rent for kickoff is - Happy Hour priced beers until kickoff. Bud Light bottle $4.

5 minutes to kickoff - fans swarm the gates! Chaaaaarrrrge!

C

Chief00

5 minutes to kickoff - fans swarm the gates! Chaaaaarrrrge!
Actually a solid idea but would need to get on same page with food vendors

If Chief ever took a job at UConn in retirement it would be such a job - relationships with the venues they play home games in - lots of low hanging fruit opportunities.
I could definitely increase attendance 10-20% across the board in a couple years, assuming the teams were competitive.
I understand the state has built a system where no one feels they have ownership to move the needle. But, those things can get overcome.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Chief ever took a job at UConn in retirement it would be such a job - relationships with the venues they play home games in - lots of low hanging fruit opportunities.
I could definitely increase attendance 10-20% across the board in a couple years, assuming the teams were competitive.
I understand the state has built a system where no one feels they have ownership to move the needle. But, those things can get overcome.

Chief could get XL attendance from 7000 to 7700 if they are competitive. Don’t let the man fool you he is confident!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Happy Hour idea is really good and from a safety standpoint/save giving up too much of a deal, they can just limit it to 2 beers.

C

Chief00

Working the concessions stands? Let me know which one, I'll stop by and say hi.
Chief would manage the customer’s overall game experience and achieving attendance metrics - not pouring drinks or cooking hot dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chief would manage the customer experience overall game experience and achieving attendance metrics - not pouring drinks or cooking hot dogs.
I don't know, Chief. A well poured beer and a well cooked hot dog would improve my game day experience. Keep that mind. It could be a reward retirement job for you.

C

Chief00

I don't know, Chief. A well poured beer and a well cooked hot dog would improve my game day experience. Keep that mind. It could be a reward retirement job for you.
Agree, that would be part of it. I know they try, but they are failing at it.
Another idea would to have Express gates for season ticket holders so they could get in quicker.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another idea would to have Express gates for season ticket holders so they could get in quicker.
Genius. That's the kind of penetrating insight that you don't see with other posters.

Or do you?
Have to look at the donation data to see how much that generates.

I'd guess an optimal model might look something like:

Donation level 1: Give them a fancy name, like Husky Premier or something. First shot for season tickets at 90% of $x, choice of tickets, plus perks (extra meet and greets and events before and during the season, insider emails, maybe an express entrance into the stadium, maybe some extra promotions like cushions, cup holders, preferred parking etc.) Window to buy begins at date certain and end. Then

Donation level 2: Give them a less fancy name, Like True Blue Club. First shot at remaining seats. 1 meet and greet. 1 Gift during the season. insider emails. They get preferred entrance after it closes for a limited time after it closes for Premier. Still priced at 90% of $x

Season Ticket Holders: Next shot at tickets at 90% x

Mini- plan holders: Next shot at tickets at 95% x.

Single seat holders: $x

Try to cluster each group so that each group gets to sit with peers.

Then promote the living piss out of the remaining seats to get people in the door, but first open it up to first three groups sequentially to be able to get the same deal (or maybe even slightly better) if they want to buy additional seats.

I'm sure this could be tweaked, a lot, but something that adds more value to the fans who want to pay for the privilege makes sense. Perhaps you could discount the first two contribution levels for fans who have a history as season ticket holders. Been buying ST since day one? Then the required contribution level is reduced.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At XL just getting people in at all would be a big improvement. It’s like going through customs at Logan.

Reaction Score
At XL just getting people in at all would be a big improvement. It’s like going through customs at Logan.

Are you kidding me. I got through customs at Logan in 15 minutes getting back from Jamaica. I routinely wait 30 minutes to get into XL.

Give me Logan customs any day of the week

C

Chief00

Another idea would be to have express stadium gates for season ticket holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Genius. That's the kind of penetrating insight that you don't see with other posters.

Or do you?

Great minds think alike.
You are going to think I am a one up guy but I suggested that last season. I don’t remember if it was on here or through one of my contacts at UConn?
At any rate, all that is irrelevant, before we get tactical, we need to change the mindset at UConn, state agencies and quasi private entities who make political donations that give us the results we have rather than the results UConn deserves. All this motivates Chief to consider taking a compensation cut to change the landscape.

Reaction Score
Another idea would be to have express stadium gates for season ticket holders.
No attack Chiefoo but they have adequate stadium gates already for a band box that only seats 40K. Your idea adds to the cost of business and not needed.
Problem standing in line is solved by getting to the gate 10 minutes sooner. That and starting the tailgate as early as possible...;)

C

Chief00

No attack Chiefoo but they have adequate stadium gates already for a band box that only seats 40K. Your idea adds to the cost of business and not needed.
Problem standing in line is solved by getting to the gate 10 minutes sooner. That and starting the tailgate as early as possible...;)
Accommodate and don’t fight your key customers - you will make plenty of $’s long term with that philosophy.
#ChiefKnowsBiz101

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom