SMU game should be at Gampel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SMU game should be at Gampel

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The last record I saw was identical between the buildings from a winning % standpoint.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The last record I saw was identical between the buildings from a winning % standpoint.

I tallied up the records during a long plane ride a year or so back. Just a percentage point difference or two between the venues. Any notion that the XL is a competitive disadvantage is just ignorance. Crowd participation-wise in the AAC era, the XL has been significantly better. Ticket buying fans have spoken as to their preference. It's really not close. Last night, the sections with "the suits" led the standing up and cheering during crunch time. That never happens in Gampel. A big "Let's Go Huskies" chant started from the 111 area that the student section then picked up on.

You read here from folks who don't buy tickets about how it "should" be. But the fact is, the XL is a huge part of the growth and success of the program. They will say all games should be on campus, how many other teams split games like this? Of course, the answer is how many other programs have four championships?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I tallied up the records during a long plane ride a year or so back. Just a percentage point difference or two between the venues. Any notion that the XL is a competitive disadvantage is just ignorance. Crowd participation-wise in the AAC era, the XL has been significantly better. Ticket buying fans have spoken as to their preference. It's really not close. Last night, the sections with "the suits" led the standing up and cheering during crunch time. That never happens in Gampel. A big "Let's Go Huskies" chant started from the 111 area that the student section then picked up on.

You read here from folks who don't buy tickets about how it "should" be. But the fact is, the XL is a huge part of the growth and success of the program. They will say all games should be on campus, how many other teams split games like this? Of course, the answer is how many other programs have four championships?

Everyone seems to get the concept of markets when they discuss UConn to the P5.

Not sure why a percentage forget when discussing basketball games.

The building has been jacked for Memphis and Tulsa in the past. They brought it for frigging SMU last night. Yeah it's not an electric scene for Lowell. Neither is Gampel.

Reaction Score
Not including this year, UConn's overall record at Gampel is 160-29 (.847) and their record at XL Center is 249-88 (.739). I'm sure that the winning percentages are similar if you go from 1990 to the present though.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not including this year, UConn's overall record at Gampel is 160-29 (.847) and their record at XL Center is 249-88 (.739).

When I did my tally, I started comparing both venues from the time Gampel opened. Your including the pre-JC down years for the XL and not for Gampel is apples to oranges. Either follow my methodology or add-in the Field House stats during the dark years if you want a true comparison. But you don't want a true comparison, do you?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, starting from when Gampel opened is the only true comparison. We mostly played patsies in the FH during the Big East years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought there was a very nervous vibe in the first half -- as if the crowd was waiting for something bad to happen. In the second half, it got loud and stayed loud.

I still prefer the overall atmosphere in Gampel, but from a crowd noise standpoint neither venue is superior. As I said, the AD has figured out that season ticket holders aren't willing to drive to Storrs for weeknight games.

Reaction Score
When I did my tally, I started comparing both venues from the time Gampel opened. Your including the pre-JC down years for the XL and not for Gampel is apples to oranges. Either follow my methodology or add-in the Field House stats during the dark years if you want a true comparison. But you don't want a true comparison, do you?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, starting from when Gampel opened is the only true comparison. We mostly played patsies in the FH during the Big East years.
Wasn't saying one is better than the other. Just throwing the numbers out there, but I edited my post right as you replied to say that the winning percentages would probably be similar if you start at 1990 for both.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To really look at it you'd need to bring in the analysis of who they played at each building.

Reaction Score
To really look at it you'd need to bring in the analysis of who they played at each building.

I think it's fair to assume that the scrub/good team ratio is pretty similar since 1990. There have been years where the Gampel ticket package was strong and Hartford awful, and the reverse. In the early/mid 1990's, we rarely if ever played Georgetown or Syracuse on campus.

Reaction Score
I'm also going to assume he wasn't at the Tulsa game on Saturday. The student section was pretty good, but overall the building lacked juice. It certainly didn't compare to the crowds the XL has been getting this year.

Bad comparison, SMU is ranked, won the conference last year, and for much of this year looked like a top team in the country. Of course its going to be a better atmosphere than Tulsa.

Best games at Gample this year were a bad Ohio State team, which was still a great atmosphere at the start until the game got out of hand, and an ok Memphis team, which was a really strong atmosphere even though students were on break.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought there was a very nervous vibe in the first half -- as if the crowd was waiting for something bad to happen. In the second half, it got loud and stayed loud.

I still prefer the overall atmosphere in Gampel, but from a crowd noise standpoint neither venue is superior. As I said, the AD has figured out that season ticket holders aren't willing to drive to Storrs for weeknight games.

You're right, and I was saying as much. I was talking about the atmosphere not being as electric as it should be, I blamed it on our spirits being tested, and then we woke up when the team needed it most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom