SMU game should be at Gampel | The Boneyard

SMU game should be at Gampel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The crowd is so much better and active at Gampel it is a asset to the team. Yet we play way to many big important games in the XL and loose a HUGE on campus advantage.. I understand we can sell more tickets and get more $$$ but I can't comprehend why we are playing this game on a Thursday night off campus against a top 25 team that I feel is a absolute win for this team to dance in March.

Who makes these decisions? Are they made well in advance?

I might be able to understand the game being in the XL ( but still think it's dumb) on a Saturday afternoon but a Thursday night .. Plain Stupid..

Reaction Score
The athletic department smartly figured out that weeknight games are best in Hartford, and Saturday/Sunday games are best played on campus. Attendance is a major issue at Gampel during weeknight games.

Reaction Score
The crowd is so much better and active at Gampel it is a asset to the team. Yet we play way to many big important games in the XL and loose a HUGE on campus advantage.. I understand we can sell more tickets and get more $$$ but I can't comprehend why we are playing this game on a Thursday night off campus against a top 25 team that I feel is a absolute win for this team to dance in March.

Who makes these decisions? Are they made well in advance?

I might be able to understand the game being in the XL ( but still think it's dumb) on a Saturday afternoon but a Thursday night .. Plain Stupid..

I am going to assume you weren't in the building last year for SMU. If you were, you would have no qualms with the game being played at XL.

Reaction Score
For a big weeknight game XL is absolutely the way to do it. Half the crowd don't make it to their seats until 730 cause traffic and at the XL the transition from office to bar to game creates quite the environment

Reaction Score
8:00 PM tipoff will see the seats full and the place will be rockin'. Looking for a big night for Big Red.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am going to assume you weren't in the building last year for SMU. If you were, you would have no qualms with the game being played at XL.

I'm also going to assume he wasn't at the Tulsa game on Saturday. The student section was pretty good, but overall the building lacked juice. It certainly didn't compare to the crowds the XL has been getting this year.

Reaction Score
We don't "loose" any advantage. The energy of the crowds at the XL are great for the right games. This game won't be a problem. In Storrs when the crowd lacks enthusiasm the Pro-Gampel crowd blames the AAC. In Hartford, they blame the XL center.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Rodney shoots well at the XL...but we are still doomed, DOOMED for sure!

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Nothing worse than XL. Every player hates it, Ollie hates it, students hate it.

Reaction Score
The crowd sounded loud and looked great... Point taken on the XL for a big game.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
The XL is great for big games, it can get quite loud when the right opponent is in town or situation arises. Syracuse, Gtown, Cincy and SMU come to mind (games I attended) just to name a few recent games with great atmospheres at the XL.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I haven't seen it in a while, but I believe our record in Hartford or Storrs is pretty consistent. It's only the perception that changes

I like Hartford for the restaurants and bars, and because they serve liquor inside too. The crowd is great for big games, just like the crowd is great at MSG and other local venues

I like GP because of the students, but every other entertaining aspect is missing

We could use a new / modern facility to play all our games in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom