OT: - Smart Watches / Activity Trackers | The Boneyard

OT: Smart Watches / Activity Trackers

Reaction Score
I was thinking about starting a poll thread to query Boneyard members to determine our individual as well as our collective "health" and "technology" acumen regarding "wearables." However, apparently I'm too late, as the post title has already morphed into something new.

I'll bet you never saw this coming!

But, if anyone is interested in sharing your experience (or fear of such) regarding your usage of health/activity trackers or smart watches, it may benefit (or amuse) all of us.

As a runner, (okay, a plodder) I have been wearing a "runners" watch for many years. With the advent of the health trackers a few years back I transitioned easily. I enjoy the value and convenience of being able to look at my wrist and see my exact pace, time, splits, stride length, heart rate, all while recording the data for comparisons later. But I really like that I have a GPS device on my wrist at all times.

Well, last fall things change quite a bit for me and my running life. After breathing started to slowly become more laborious during my runs (plods), I mentioned it to my doctor on my next visit and he recommended that I see a cardiologist. I don't have a cardiologist, I responded, never been to one, never had a reason. Long story short; I now have three. Been through a battery of tests and procedures, the last of which was a heart biopsy.

I now, temporarily I hope, confine myself to walking (doctors orders) instead of running. Although, I must say that it seems to be a lot less physically taxing, but just as beneficial as my previous runs. Nearly every day I do between three to six miles walking on the same tracks I used running. The breathing issue is not a factor now. And I walk at quite a quick pace. And I enjoy it!

All of this leads me back to my OP topic. NOW, heart rate and functions are at the top of my list when it comes to health trackers. I continually search for the latest and greatest heart health wearables. New innovations in this area come along daily.

Regarding the "smart watch," they're very cool. Java Woman and Java Daughter both wear Apple watches and can take and make phone calls as well as receive and respond to text message from their wrist. I tell them that at times, when they're whispering, that they look like FBI agents. The Apple watch is very heart health conscious also. However, I'll never have one of those because I'm a registered Andoidian.

So, do you wear a technology laden wrist device? Or, not? Interested in sharing opinions, benefits, suggestions, encouragements? I can't be the only one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Check out this phone, though this article is a few months old now. My brother did a lot of research after he was diagnosed with a heart issue. Works with your Android phone, and also with the iPhone. Much less expensive, though the special pricing listed in the article is hit or miss. Expect to pay about $80, unless you hit a special. I've had it for about 5 months now and it has been terrific. Walking, biking, running, sleeping, heart rate, steps... and more. There may be a newer version out now.

Reaction Score
I wear the Fitbit blaze. Not as fancy as the Apple Watch but does a lot of similar stuff.
Fitbit Charge 2 was my first. No longer use it regularly. I like it. Blaze is cool. I wen't cheap to start. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Fitbit Charge 2 was my first. No longer use it regularly. I like it. I wen't cheap to start. :rolleyes:

I had the original Fitbit. My daughter got me this for my bday a couple years ago or I would probably still have that one

Reaction Score
Check out this phone, though this article is a few months old now. My brother did a lot of research after he was diagnosed with a heart issue. Works with your Android phone, and also with the iPhone. Much less expensive, though the special pricing listed in the article is hit or miss. Expect to pay about $80, unless you hit a special. I've had it for about 5 months now and it has been terrific. Walking, biking, running, sleeping, heart rate, steps... and more. There may be a newer version out now.

Good choice, IMHO. :cool: Bip is my current watch. But looking for something more advanced now. I just hope I can find one that replicates the Bip's features...but with more sophisticated telemetry.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I was thinking about starting a poll thread to query Boneyard members to determine our individual as well as our collective "health" and "technology" acumen regarding "wearables." However, apparently I'm too late, as the post title has already morphed into something new.

I'll bet you never saw this coming!

But, if anyone is interested in sharing your experience (or fear of such) regarding your usage of health/activity trackers or smart watches, it may benefit (or amuse) all of us.

As a runner, (okay, a plodder) I have been wearing a "runners" watch for many years. With the advent of the health trackers a few years back I transitioned easily. I enjoy the value and convenience of being able to look at my wrist and see my exact pace, time, splits, stride length, heart rate, all while recording the data for comparisons later. But I really like that I have a GPS device on my wrist at all times.

Well, last fall things change quite a bit for me and my running life. After breathing started to slowly become more laborious during my runs (plods), I mentioned it to my doctor on my next visit and he recommended that I see a cardiologist. I don't have a cardiologist, I responded, never been to one, never had a reason. Long story short; I now have three. Been through a battery of tests and procedures, the last of which was a heart biopsy.

I now, temporarily I hope, confine myself to walking (doctors orders) instead of running. Although, I must say that it seems to be a lot less physically taxing, but just as beneficial as my previous runs. Nearly every day I do between three to six miles walking on the same tracks I used running. The breathing issue is not a factor now. And I walk at quite a quick pace. And I enjoy it!

All of this leads me back to my OP topic. NOW, heart rate and functions are at the top of my list when it comes to health trackers. I continually search for the latest and greatest heart health wearables. New innovations in this area come along daily.

Regarding the "smart watch," they're very cool. Java Woman and Java Daughter both wear Apple watches and can take and make phone calls as well as receive and respond to text message from their wrist. I tell them that at times, when they're whispering, that they look like FBI agents. The Apple watch is very heart health conscious also. However, I'll never have one of those because I'm a registered Andoidian.

So, do you wear a technology laden wrist device? Or, not? Interested in sharing opinions, benefits, suggestions, encouragements? I can't be the only one.

I don't wear one. I mentioned it to my cadiologist a couple of visits ago thinking that he might recommend one. I brisk walk 3-5 miles a day at a local track and use an inexpensive, accurate, pedometer. I was concerned with wearing something that would indicate a target heart rate and had read much about how inaccurate many popular heart rate monitors are. My doctor told me that my target heart rate is "slow" and it would be a waste of money since one of the meds I take controls heart rate. He was right - I tried to raise my heart rate by walking faster and the highest I could get it was 92 bpm. Walking at 3.5 mph it is about 85 bpm.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Good choice, IMHO. :cool: Bip is my current watch. But looking for something more advanced now. I just hope I can find one that replicates the Bip's features...but with more sophisticated telemetry.
My wife bought me one , but I have an aversion to sharing information and try to avoid it when possible. I judged that the benefit to me was not worth the data sharing. Just one more thing on my network to be harvested for information, and the possibility of intrusive action. I can agree that the device is interesting and could be useful though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom