Small Sample Size | The Boneyard

Small Sample Size

Reaction Score
My teachers of statistics taught me that small sample sizes lead to bad conclusions.
On this board, many comments are made about shooting slumps that are based on , just that...one or two games and few shots.
The general consensus is that an excellent shooters numbers would be 50/40/80....50% from 2's, 40% from 3's and 80% from the foul lime.
Diana Taurasi's career numbers were 47%/ 39%/82%....and we would all acknowledge what an offensive force she was.
Paige's last game she was 5/12 Total, 1/5 from 3's.....A slump? Hardly, if she made ONE more three, she would have been 6/12 (50%), and 2/5 (40%.) one missed shot does not make a slump.
Same with CW, she had two below avg. games...a major slump...but prior to

Reaction Score
I made the comment she had a poor shooting night and my conclusion was not based on statistics but rather the way she missed. It is no revelation that good/great shooters miss long or short, not off to the side. Her three against South Carolina was a classic example, just a smidge long but still a chance to get a ‘shooters bounce” which she did. For the first time against Xavier, she had several missed shots that had absolutely no chance. Is it a big deal or a harbinger of things to come, absolutely not; to her credit, she had a great game anyway. But it is not only about stats but as always for me, about the eye test.

Reaction Score
IMO Paige is still figuring out when to shoot. IMO she shoots a lot as an after-thought. There is a large enough sample size to know that Paige is a dead-eye shooter. If anyone has doubts, watch the last 6 minutes of the SC game. My theory is that she will have this figured out before the conference tournament and NCAA tournament. I predict she's going to go off!

Reaction Score
I just go on what I see. Statistics are a better indicator of your point...but I leave that to the folks who enjoy running the numbers. If I see Evina hit three threes in a row one week, and then clank every three for the next three games, including an air ball, it tells me her shooting ( and perhaps confidence ) are "off." Not forever, but until she starts hitting them again. The problem with statistics is that they don't guarantee anything for her next shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom