slightly ot - "Old Bessie" at RU being replaced | The Boneyard

slightly ot - "Old Bessie" at RU being replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For those of you who attended games at the RAC, the obsolete old scoreboard (apparently called "old Bessie" by some) is being replaced this week.

About 5 years ago we were in a group of fans walking across the court with Vivian after a fan club meeting and she went off about what a disgrace it was. Of course, she was preaching to the choir, as it was original to the building (late '70's).

This is the start of a planned renovation - and renaming I think - that is planned. I don't know the details (I'm not sure they are finalized) but I've heard a larger front concourse, wrapping the seats around and more rest-rooms as some of the changes. OTH they want to preserve the reputation as a tough place to play - even our lousy men's team pulled upsets due to the difficulties of playing there (no, not the fans - apparently when crowded it feels like the fans are "on top" of you and the sound just rolls straight down to the floor).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When I read the OP title, I was surprised to read of CViv referred to by the unusual (and new to me) nickname of "Old Bessie."

Then I learned that she is staying but the scoreboard is going.

Reaction Score
Renaming? I assuming you're talking about the official (Louis Brown?), and not "RAC", which is one of the all-time great arena names.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The confusion is understandable: even in KBAZ's post, he refers to Bessie going out, and CViv going off. Bessie is being replaced, and the RU AD has been replaced, the MBB coach has been replaced, there's been speculation about CViv, if not being replaced, at least going out.

Lot o' coming and going at RU these days, right down to conference affiliation.:confused:

Imagine: CViv going off about something. I'm shocked, shocked!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Renaming? I assuming you're talking about the official (Louis Brown?), and not "RAC", which is one of the all-time great arena names.
Yes, that's what I meant. They stopped using the Louis Brown name much (I think it is still "official") quite a while ago, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that naming rights will be up for bid. RAC - Rutgers Athletic Center - was the original name, popular nickname and used even by Rutgers currently. I'm sure it will continue in some fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom