Slightly OT - Girls HS team booted for trying to avoid Dangerfield's team in playoffs | The Boneyard

Slightly OT - Girls HS team booted for trying to avoid Dangerfield's team in playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow! That is really pathetic and congrats to their league for hitting both teams hard. (And for the administrator who stepped in and made the coach play - too little too late but at least someone showed integrity.)

Reaction Score
Really stinks for the kids though. I'll operate under the assumption they were doing as told so they really got hurt by a couple of knucklehead coaches.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I think it is crappy to teach kids this so young. However, some would argue the Phoenix Mercury did something very similar to get Griner. Not much difference there, IMHO. I understand they are losing a game to avoid a team, however, Mercury tanked a whole season to get the #1 draft pick.

Reaction Score
It's pathetic to try something like this but you would think that they might have considered "throwing the game" a little more tactfully. I mean something as blatant as shooting at the wrong basket and calling your own 3 second violations is absolutely absurd.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sounds like a typical evening for the New York Knicks.

Reaction Score
I think it is crappy to teach kids this so young. However, some would argue the Phoenix Mercury did something very similar to get Griner. Not much difference there, IMHO. I understand they are losing a game to avoid a team, however, Mercury tanked a whole season to get the #1 draft pick.

IMO they'd be wrong to use that analogy. Phoenix tanking is business. The strategy of tanking is a business strategy. H/S kids shouldn't be learning how to tank. ANd from what I read above it looks like their teachers were pretty pathetic showing the kids how to do it.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
IMO they'd be wrong to use that analogy. Phoenix tanking is business. The strategy of tanking is a business strategy. H/S kids shouldn't be learning how to tank. ANd from what I read above it looks like their teachers were pretty pathetic showing the kids how to do it.
So the tanking wasn't personal?
upload_2015-2-24_1-6-23.jpeg

Reaction Score
I really don't think integrity is expected on the professional {$} level anymore [if it ever was].

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well at least they won't have to face Blackman now. ;)

Reaction Score
I am sure Meyers remembers a few of the times this has happened in various international soccer tournaments. One was the 1994 Caribbean Cup, where a game ended in bizarre fashion as described by Wikipedia:

Grenada went into the match with a superior goal difference, meaning that Barbados needed to win by two goals to progress to the finals. The trouble was caused by two things. First, unlike most group stages in football competitions, the organizers had deemed that all games must have a winner. All games drawn over 90 minutes would go to sudden death extra time. Secondly and most importantly, there was an unusual rule which stated that in the event of a game going to sudden death extra time the goal would count double, meaning that the winner would be awarded a two goal victory.

Barbados was leading 2-0 until the 83rd minute, when Grenada scored, making it 2-1. Approaching the dying moments, the Barbadians realized they had little chance of scoring past Grenada's mass defense in the time available, so they deliberately scored an own goal to tie the game at 2-2. This would send the game into extra time and give them another half hour to break down the defense. The Grenadians realized what was happening and attempted to score an own goal as well, which would put Barbados back in front by one goal and would eliminate Barbados from the competition.

However, the Barbados players started defending their opposition's goal to prevent them from doing this, and during the game's last five minutes, the fans were treated to the incredible sight of Grenada trying to score in either goal while Barbados defended both ends of the pitch. Barbados successfully held off Grenada for the final five minutes, sending the game into extra time. In extra time, Barbados notched the game-winner, and, according to the rules, was awarded a 4-2 victory, which put them through to the next round

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
More recently in 2012 there was the ugly game in Olympics badminton when a Chinese team tried to throw a match against a South Korean team so they would not have to get the other top Chinese team in the next match, but the Koreans decided they would also throw the match, which made for a travesty and both teams got booted.

Reaction Score
More recently in 2012 there was the ugly game in Olympics badminton when a Chinese team tried to throw a match against a South Korean team so they would not have to get the other top Chinese team in the next match, but the Koreans decided they would also throw the match, which made for a travesty and both teams got booted.

I think the Chinese and Koreans complained that throwing games was a regularly accepted badminton practice (tournaments normally not single elimination), just not recognized by the Olympics

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I am sure Meyers remembers a few of the times this has happened in various international soccer tournaments. One was the 1994 Caribbean Cup, where a game ended in bizarre fashion as described by Wikipedia:

Grenada went into the match with a superior goal difference, meaning that Barbados needed to win by two goals to progress to the finals. The trouble was caused by two things. First, unlike most group stages in football competitions, the organizers had deemed that all games must have a winner. All games drawn over 90 minutes would go to sudden death extra time. Secondly and most importantly, there was an unusual rule which stated that in the event of a game going to sudden death extra time the goal would count double, meaning that the winner would be awarded a two goal victory.

Barbados was leading 2-0 until the 83rd minute, when Grenada scored, making it 2-1. Approaching the dying moments, the Barbadians realized they had little chance of scoring past Grenada's mass defense in the time available, so they deliberately scored an own goal to tie the game at 2-2. This would send the game into extra time and give them another half hour to break down the defense. The Grenadians realized what was happening and attempted to score an own goal as well, which would put Barbados back in front by one goal and would eliminate Barbados from the competition.

However, the Barbados players started defending their opposition's goal to prevent them from doing this, and during the game's last five minutes, the fans were treated to the incredible sight of Grenada trying to score in either goal while Barbados defended both ends of the pitch. Barbados successfully held off Grenada for the final five minutes, sending the game into extra time. In extra time, Barbados notched the game-winner, and, according to the rules, was awarded a 4-2 victory, which put them through to the next round

FIFA had made an attempt to prevent this by having the last game in the group play round of the World Cup played at the same time. Unfortunately they did not anticipate the the advent of the cell phone.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FIFA had made an attempt to prevent this by having the last game in the group play round of the World Cup played at the same time. Unfortunately they did not anticipate the the advent of the cell phone.
Actually it can make the games kinda funny. Some teams just lull around for 70 minutes and then realize they have to score a goal. Then the other teams think they've got it made then all of a sudden they have to score again. Back and forth. Back in '12 in the EPL, ManU was waiting on the field for their trophy presentation after their game, and Man City scored 2 goals in ET to take the crown. It was pretty funny.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Actually it can make the games kinda funny. Some teams just lull around for 70 minutes and then realize they have to score a goal. Then the other teams think they've got it made then all of a sudden they have to score again. Back and forth. Back in '12 in the EPL, ManU was waiting on the field for their trophy presentation after their game, and Man City scored 2 goals in ET to take the crown. It was pretty funny.

Actually there was a lot more at stake on that day in 2012 in addition to the EPL crown with two teams fighting to avoid relegation and two teams trying to qualify for the Champions League... So four games, eight teams, all affecting each others future... A Super Bowl, World series 7th Game and World Cup Final all rolled up into about two hours... The winners and losers went back and forth until ManCity resolved it all in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom