Slight dose of reality | The Boneyard

Slight dose of reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
As a very ardent and long time UConn fan, I follow the Boneyard daily. While I certainly understand the excitement surrounding this year's team, I wonder if we are too optimistic.
Adding AD and DD to Shabazz, and Lamb and AO is of course fantastic news. But the core of this year's team is very young. AO is the only experienced upper classman. The core of the team will be sophs and frosh. I read the posts that anticipate a repeat and wonder if we aren't a bit too optimistic.
Just saying, let's allow the team time to gel. There will be the annual WTF loss (or two) and no one on the schedule is going to lay down in fron of the team. And I have always believed that the NCAAs are an annual crapshoot that have as much to do with match-ups as how strong your team is (although a strong team with good match-ups is preferred)
Looking forward to watching this team develop during the year and hopefully peaking again in March.

Reaction Score
"Adding AD and DD to Shabazz, and Lamb and AO is of course fantastic news. But the core of this year's team is very young. AO is the only experienced upper classman"

uk,osu and unc will also have freshmen playing major roles for them this season. uconn returns alot of young players but make no mistake they are tested and know what to expect and are not going to be fazed or intimidated by the big moments. this team has walked through the fire and came out the otherside national champions and by next march they will be considered juniors and seniors leading a talented trio of freshmen who will earn their stripes in the toughest conference in the country. the whole youth thing is a bunch of bologna.

Reaction Score
I think it's just a great situation. I think of this coming year as being similar to 2005: Returning championship team with a lot of the parts back, a huge recruit coming in (Gay/Drummond), and expectations fairly high. I also think it's funny that UNC is again the team to beat as they are bringing back a load just like 2005.

So, I think even if uconn fails to get beyond the sweet sixteen this year, although a minor disappointment, it won't be so bad because of the NC last year. Now, if Drummond and AO stay (assuming Lamb is gone), it WILL be a disappointment on par with 2006 if they don't make the FF in 2012-13.

As in most years, uconn will lose its share of Big East games. But I think the addition of AD pushes this team to the top 5, which will carry higher expectations!

Reaction Score
As a very ardent and long time UConn fan, I follow the Boneyard daily. While I certainly understand the excitement surrounding this year's team, I wonder if we are too optimistic.
Adding AD and DD to Shabazz, and Lamb and AO is of course fantastic news. But the core of this year's team is very young. AO is the only experienced upper classman. The core of the team will be sophs and frosh. I read the posts that anticipate a repeat and wonder if we aren't a bit too optimistic.
Just saying, let's allow the team time to gel. There will be the annual WTF loss (or two) and no one on the schedule is going to lay down in fron of the team. And I have always believed that the NCAAs are an annual crapshoot that have as much to do with match-ups as how strong your team is (although a strong team with good match-ups is preferred)
Looking forward to watching this team develop during the year and hopefully peaking again in March.

Ha...so u r asking fans to have a 'dose of reality' :)

I agree 100% that we fans take such news and instantly assume it turns into wins...AD will be a great addition, and I trust JC will work thru the chemistry issues early to ensure they play as a team rather than a bunch of very talented individuals. NCAAs are a crapshoot...always upsets, always cinderalla teams...so agreed, hopefully we peak in March...should be a fun ride!

Reaction Score
I expect an undefeated season and that they will win all of their games by double digits.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
our freshmen become sophomores and they have more experience than any other group of sophomores in the nation. Alex learned how to be a monster, and now he moves to the 4. We're deep at every position, and one thing is certain, our defense is going to be incredible.

We're in the mix, that's all you can hope for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a very ardent and long time UConn fan, I follow the Boneyard daily. While I certainly understand the excitement surrounding this year's team, I wonder if we are too optimistic..

Wonder no more. We are not too optimistic. This team will kick ass early and often.

Reaction Score
The team does have scary potential as we continue into Year 3 of this extremely weak era of college basketball. I don't see us being in any different of a situation as Kentucky, in fact I think we're probably in a better one (don't see the craze of T. Jones, he's good but ppl get carried away). UNC is loaded obviously.

As DW said above, the NCAA's are a crapshoot and it'll be fun - but we should be an optimistic fan base.

Reaction Score
I think it makes us be the hunted instead of the hunter, which IMO I always like them being looked at as the underdog, but I guess mainly because "06 still haunts me.

Reaction Score
The sophomores are literally as experienced as a sophomore can get. They're not your "average" sophomores.

Plus, AO is stepping up as the leader of the team, and others like Shabazz and Lamb will provide a lot of leadership, too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

No season is predictable. You would think this past season should have proven that to everyone.

There are several categories of fans. In the optimistic group there are two subdivisions:

The first group likes to start the season with high expectations but recognizes that the expectations are only predictions and not absolute. They will go with the flow and not express a lot of anger and resentment towards the team/players if there is a less than expected outcome. They will limit their response to disappointment.

The second group has high expectations, but can't and won't make adjustments if the season proves different than expectations. This group will then blame the team or players for failing to meet their expectations as opposed to admitting they were wrong. They will analyze the situation, find the flaws in the team, and make statements that criticize the team. But unlike critiquing the team, which the first group will undertake, the second group will make statements that will be angry, judgmental, derisive, and hurtful. The team/players deprived this group of fulfillment and therefore the team/players need to be punished. The person in this group cannot admit that they have a problem of insisting that the unpredictable, be predictable or of learning that the only way to get fulfillment is from oneself.

IMO the upcoming season is unpredictable, but the nature of the individual fan is very predictable. Intellect and reason have a limited influence on our behavior. Our emotional make up is the driving force. So your advice, as logical and reasonable as it is intended, will fail to stop this second group from changing. Only if the individuals in this group decide to look in the mirror can they recognize this behavior is detrimental to their development. And only then will they begin to decide to change. This is no different than any flaw we have. So my advice to you is to ponder what I'm stating and decide if you need to spend a lot of energy concerning yourself with these people.

Reaction Score
No season is predictable. You would think this past season should have proven that to everyone.

There are several categories of fans. In the optimistic group there are two subdivisions:

The first group likes to start the season with high expectations but recognizes that the expectations are only predictions and not absolute. They will go with the flow and not express a lot of anger and resentment towards the team/players if there is a less than expected outcome. They will limit their response to disappointment.

The second group has high expectations, but can't and won't make adjustments if the season proves different than expectations. This group will then blame the team or players for failing to meet their expectations as opposed to admitting they were wrong. They will analyze the situation, find the flaws in the team, and make statements that criticize the team. But unlike critiquing the team, which the first group will undertake, the second group will make statements that will be angry, judgmental, derisive, and hurtful. The team/players deprived this group of fulfillment and therefore the team/players need to be punished. The person in this group cannot admit that they have a problem of insisting that the unpredictable, be predictable or of learning that the only way to get fulfillment is from oneself.

IMO the upcoming season is unpredictable, but the nature of the individual fan is very predictable. Intellect and reason have a limited influence on our behavior. Our emotional make up is the driving force. So your advice, as logical and reasonable as it is intended, will fail to stop this second group from changing. Only if the individuals in this group decide to look in the mirror can they recognize this behavior is detrimental to their development. And only then will they begin to decide to change. This is no different than any flaw we have. So my advice to you is to ponder what I'm stating and decide if you need to spend a lot of energy concerning yourself with these people.

Heh, pretty good breakdown of the forum personalities.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are several categories of fans.

What does categories of fans have to do with this year? UConn has a strong core of returning players that know what it takes to win the whole thing. They are adding a blue chip frosh at all 3 positions including the best player in the country. They have a top coaching staff. Anything less than unabashed enthusiasm and optimism for this season should be left to the wimps and mo-mos.

Reaction Score
What does categories of fans have to do with this year? UConn has a strong core of returning players that know what it takes to win the whole thing. They are adding a blue chip frosh at all 3 positions including the best player in the country. They have a top coaching staff. Anything less than unabashed enthusiasm and optimism for this season should be left to the wimps and mo-mos.

If you read the rest of his post, the categories have to do with what these fans do when expectations are not lived up to. That is, some approach rationally, some act like members of the team killed their dog.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I'm a first category fan. I'm optimistic and realistic. Things are looking very good this season. I'm starting off the season thinking things are going to be fun and exciting with a few speed bumps along the way. But I recognize there are no guarantees to the upcoming season. Sometimes happens even under the most optimistic projections. Sometimes we come out smelling like a rose when marginal or pessimistic expectations exist, like last season.

The op was offering the advice of caution. And although I could be wrong, I think he is concerned that some of people's exuberance can lead to failed expectations should the team not gel. And if I understand his motive he is trying to temper the anger of posters should the team underperform. So I responded accordingly. I'm not telling people they should be optimistic.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If you read the rest of his post, the categories have to do with what these fans do when expectations are not lived up to. That is, some approach rationally, some act like members of the team killed their dog.

Exactly. Concise summation.

Reaction Score
Just saying, let's allow the team time to gel. There will be the annual WTF loss (or two) and no one on the schedule is going to lay down in fron of the team. And I have always believed that the NCAAs are an annual crapshoot that have as

much to do with match-ups as how strong your team is (although a strong team with good match-ups is preferred)
We have all of the pieces to the puzzle of an NCAA Championship run. WE have the big men, we have the forwards and the guards. We won with defense and we could be even better this year.The new players have huge upside, but the question remains how will they react in competitive battle? Oh I forgot, we have the best possible coach and staff to weave this into another banner, but even with all of this going for us, happens. For proof of that just ask Pitt. I think we are going to be really good in late Feb, and in position for the run. We will take some hard hits on the way there, but I don't think I have ever wanted to see a UCONN team play as much as this season's.

Reaction Score
So they'll all get sex changes and become our women's team?

I knew someone would catch on. They would be some of the ugliest women on the planet if they did, but hey, if it means they get #4, I'm all for it. Lol

Reaction Score
I knew someone would catch on. They would be some of the ugliest women on the planet if they did, but hey, if it means they get #4, I'm all for it. Lol
No, they would get women's championship number 8. And there would be no men's team unless the women got sex changes too. And unless they also took steroids, they wouldn't top the East German "women" at the Olympics in terms of ugliness.

Reaction Score
I would expect that it will take the three freshmen some time to adjust to the college game. That said, I have very high expectatios for this team. At least an Elite 8 appearance.

Reaction Score
I think it's just a great situation. I think of this coming year as being similar to 2005: Returning championship team with a lot of the parts back, a huge recruit coming in (Gay/Drummond), and expectations fairly high. I also think it's funny that UNC is again the team to beat as they are bringing back a load just like 2005.

So, I think even if uconn fails to get beyond the sweet sixteen this year, although a minor disappointment, it won't be so bad because of the NC last year. Now, if Drummond and AO stay (assuming Lamb is gone), it WILL be a disappointment on par with 2006 if they don't make the FF in 2012-13.

As in most years, uconn will lose its share of Big East games. But I think the addition of AD pushes this team to the top 5, which will carry higher expectations!

i disagree with this because that 05-06 team lost three starters from the previous year two of which were our leading scorer and rebounder and the third was our starting pg who was supposed to be replaced by a HS blue chipper (aj price) who ended up needing brain surgery and missing the entire season leaving our backcourt thin and without a solid ball handler and distributor. i think that was also the year rashad had a leg infection although it might have been 06-07.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The op was offering the advice of caution. And although I could be wrong, I think he is concerned that some of people's exuberance can lead to failed expectations should the team not gel. And if I understand his motive he is trying to temper the anger of posters should the team underperform. So I responded accordingly. I'm not telling people they should be optimistic.

I understand the advice and I say shove your caution up your ass. This team is loaded and the best way to follow this year's squad is to expect the best.

What's that you say? "People's exuberance can lead to failed expectations "! Are you kidding me with that silliness? Get on board the bangwagon now you wimps.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I understand the advice and I say shove your caution up your ass. This team is loaded and the best way to follow this year's squad is to expect the best.

What's that you say? "People's exuberance can lead to failed expectations "! Are you kidding me with that silliness? Get on board the bangwagon now you wimps.
You have a long way to go before you reach Makers Muppet status but I appreciate the effort.

And once again, I'm not the one advocating caution. I was commenting to the poster who was advocating caution.
I'm extremely optimistic. The only difference between you and me on this matter is that I'm not going to rally the troops to agree with us.

Reaction Score
I personally just want to have fun and enjoy this year with a NC banner freshly minted and hanging in the rafters. Part of the fun will be to watch the new young pups find their mojo on the team and see how we do without Kemba- who did everything for us last year include holding the team together when things got ugly.

We have a great class coming in- I can not remember another 3 man class where I want to see all of the pups hit the floor for the pure entertainment value it will bring- all three of them could be very special players. I guess I am managing my own expectations- but if people want to make themselves crazy the first time we lose a game so be it.

However you have to believe anything can happen with this years team.

DOOOOOOMMMEDDD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul