Sleeper Teams that will surprise | The Boneyard

Sleeper Teams that will surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Which team can be this year's St. Peter's or FAU? Maybe even a lesser team from a power 6?

Reaction Score
No huge upsets for me, but I know I'm getting suckered in by Michigan State, and I have New Mexico to S16

Reaction Score
I don’t think we’ll see a big Cinderella run this year. The separation of the teams at the top feels higher this year than in previous years. I could see Yale potentially making a run to the second weekend. Samford could take down a hobbled Kansas. Maybe Charleston wins a shootout against Bama.

Reaction Score
No huge upsets for me, but I know I'm getting suckered in by Michigan State, and I have New Mexico to S16
UNM is an interesting case because of the stylistic challenges they bring into these games. New Mexico has those 3 dynamite guards who are lightning quick. Dent may be actually as talented as House, which is a seemingly ludicrous statement to make. They push the pace and take teams out of their comfort level. The only problem with UNM is if their two bigs get in foul trouble. There isn't much there beyond Toppin and Joseph.

Reaction Score
Dauster has GCU beating SMC on the back of Foster. He thinks Foster could win them a game or two.

Reaction Score
Probably McNeese. 30-3 is no joke, and Will Wade is a good coach. This is not a great Gonzaga team like in years past and if they win that game I can see them beating a banged up Kansas to get to the S16.

Reaction Score
Due to all the upsets of top seeds in the low major conference tournaments the 13-16 seeds are quite weak this year. The 1s and 4s are quite strong as well.

I don't anticipate a lot of huge crazy seed upsets compared to the last few years. Most upsets will probably come from the 9-12 range. 11s over 6s seem particularly good. I might be buying the NC state train. Winning 5 in 5 has in the past led to good NCAA tourny results.

Reaction Score
Mississippi state to beat UNC

Vermont over Dook

Texas vs Tennessee is going to be block buster
This is not as talented a Vermont team as they normally send. Well coached and work hard, but I don’t think they have the physical talent to be competitive against any winning P-6 team.

Yale is a better choice if you’re looking for that level upset.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Due to all the upsets of top seeds in the low major conference tournaments the 13-16 seeds are quite weak this year. The 1s and 4s are quite strong as well.

I don't anticipate a lot of huge crazy seed upsets compared to the last few years. Most upsets will probably come from the 9-12 range. 11s over 6s seem particularly good. I might be buying the NC state train. Winning 5 in 5 has in the past led to good NCAA tourny results.
This.

The flip side of bubble teams being left out is that the 11-13 lines are much, much weaker than usual (except for New Mexico, who should have been a 9 and got screwed like the rest of the MWC). The 14-16 lines are about the same, actually.

I expect very few first round upsets but potentially a number of second round upsets. After the first 3 teams (us, Houston, Purdue) and the next 4 (UNC, Tennessee, Arizona, ISU), there's actually not a lot of separation between the #3 seeds and the #7 seeds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of brackets with Sweet 16s like 1-4-6-7.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Vermont over Duke.

BYU to the S16

Boise/Colorado over Florida

New Mexico over Clemson

Reaction Score
Oh, I will say this -- Clemson is going nowhere. They got an absolute gift as a 6. Short them, whoever their opponent is.

Reaction Score
McNeese can play. They could get to the FF. Seems mid majors getting to the FF is no longer uncommon.

Reaction Score
I think this is going to be a year where the bad P5 teams that didn't deserve to get in win a game or 2. Michigan State immediately comes to mind as a Sweet 16 attendee despite having an NIT-bubble resume

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Oh, I will say this -- Clemson is going nowhere. They got an absolute gift as a 6. Short them, whoever their opponent is.

Vegas has them as an underdog to an 11 seed. Thats all you need to know.

Reaction Score
Dauster has GCU beating SMC on the back of Foster. He thinks Foster could win them a game or two.

He looks like Kadary Richmond with a better shot.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing Grand Canyon...which is making me want to go St Mary's. It's almost the same roster as that team LY - which played us tough. Mahaney, Saxen, Marciuliones, Ducas. If they slow it down and grind, they're tough.

Reaction Score
In general I think all the mountain west teams outside of SDSU are very underseeded. Wouldn’t be surprised to see any one of those teams make a run to the elite 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom