Sleeper team in the Big East | The Boneyard

Sleeper team in the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is over a week old but I didn't see it posted. At least someone in the media thinks UConn will be alright this year. Although finishing "above the bottom third of the league" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. You think they'll be picked to finish in the bottom third of the league?

Ask A Writer: Big East discussion

Who do you see as the sleeper team in the Big East?

Andy Katz: This may seem a bit odd, but I’m going with UConn. The Huskies aren’t eligible for the Big East tournament but can compete for the regular-season title. They won’t win it. But they will be better than projected if they stay healthy.

The three-guard lineup of Ryan Boatright, Shabazz Napier and Omar Calhoun can match up with any perimeter unit in the league. DeAndre Daniels is developing into a solid rotation player andTyler Olander can become a more than serviceable rebounder.

The question for the Huskies will be their bench. They need the three German-born players on their roster -- Leon Tolksdorf , Niels Giffey and Enosch Wolf -- to be productive. The sleeper on this sleeper team, however, may be 6-9 freshman forward Phillip Nolan. If he can emerge as a scorer, the Huskies will have balance.

Ollie has three former head coaches on the bench to help guide him through the next seven months. The Huskies should finish above the bottom third of the league, even though they will be predicted to finish lower.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Huskies should finish above the bottom third of the league, even though they will be predicted to finish lower.

Well, there's your qualitative metric right there.

Reaction Score
We're number 12! We're Number 12! What a bleak prognosis...

What do you think a Calhoun with fragile health would have done this year? Shaka Smart? Given what is coming back & what ran to the hills, I'd say we have a challenging year coming.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think .500 is a reasonable goal for this bunch. We have no front line.

I'm not a pessimist by nature. I'm actually pretty hopeful about the program's future. But this season is gonna be ugly in terms of wins and losses.

Reaction Score
The mass exodus talk is straight stupid. UConn produced 2 more lottery picks in JL/AD, and this years team is much better off w/o Oriakhi being the most scared muscle man in D1. Roscoe is the only loss that stung but it's not like his talent was overwhelming.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like the low expectations. Easier for Ollie to exceed them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think .500 is a reasonable goal for this bunch. We have no front line.

I'm not a pessimist by nature. I'm actually pretty hopeful about the program's future. But this season is gonna be ugly in terms of wins and losses.

Yes, that feels about right. There is still talent on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom