OT: - Sleep Apnea | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sleep Apnea

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What are you guys using for CPAP/Masks?

I’ve got a ResMed S9 with basic ResMed full face mask... it’s all fine but I have nothing to compare it to.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Had bad sleep apnea about ten years ago and used a full mask for a few years. It was okay but took time to get used to it. I lost weight and now just use nasal pillows with a lower air pressure and sleep like a baby and feel great in the morning.
Do as it might save your life as Reggie White died not using his.

Reaction Score

I’ve got a ResMed S9 with basic ResMed full face mask... it’s all fine but I have nothing to compare it to.
My stuff is so old they don’t make it anymore. Trying to squeeze extra time out of it behore I need to find something new. Its a real pain not having anywhere to check new equipment. I have an oxygen concentrator to integrate too. Never use it when traveling, so I’m not sure if I’m doing harm to myself, but the initial tests showed my O2 levels going to mid-80s at times during sleep. Sucks getting old.

Reaction Score
My stuff is so old they don’t make it anymore. Trying to squeeze extra time out of it behore I need to find something new. Its a real pain not having anywhere to check new equipment. I have an oxygen concentrator to integrate too. Never use it when traveling, so I’m not sure if I’m doing harm to myself, but the initial tests showed my O2 levels going to mid-80s at times during sleep. Sucks getting old.

Hey, at least you can still golf!

Reaction Score
Used one since around 2004. Used to wake up several times a night-started sleeping 6 hours straight. Honestly all that changed when my wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia 14 months ago. She is up around 4 or 430. So I get up to keep her from wandering off. Now I am good for 4 hours. At least it is uninterrupted.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I never used a full mask. I have tried 8-9 masks. Ultimately I finally found one I’ll stick with, the Airfit P10, nasal pillows. My favorite nasal mask was the Swift FX Nano, and the Wisp was pretty good. Dream weaver was the worst, I’m a side sleeper and it always came off.

Reaction Score
I went for a sleep study 13 years ago because I did weird crap in my sleep (acting out dreams, talking, sleepwalking). Had the worst insomnia. The fatigue was crushing.

I wish I had sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. So the only thing they can do is give me stimulants during the day. Oh, and for awhile I had legal roofies... I roofied myself twice a night which was scary as hell. The sleep was great but sometimes it made me puke and if I did, I couldn’t get back to sleep. Or, if I fell asleep in a weird position, you freeze that way and you wake up in pain. So now I take a lot of Ambien. Which I love but makes you dependent.

So I think if there’s a machine that can make you feel well rested, give it a whirl. The consequences of not sleeping are real. And not just feeling crappy. I have friends that have the CPAP and it’s helped a lot.

Reaction Score
I bet provigil is real good for you. We used to call it speed.
I’ve been on Provigil, and now Nuvigil for narcolepsy. I also have to take Adderal as needed for particularly fatigued days. Adderral is speed, the others are not.

Reaction Score
You must be thinking about Judge Scalia. He never had an autopsy but most of the medical world can deduce that he died of a heart attack during his sleep induced by extreme hypoxemia. He had severe OSA, Afib and COPD.
Well, those medical factors and being significantly overweight. An unplugged breathing gizmo on Justice Scalia's bedside nightstand also may have contributed to his myocardial infarction and death.

@Whtdmd What's your take on a good % of apnea patients' overweight conditions, crappy eating, and minimal exercise significantly contributing to self-induced apnea? Hello America!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went for a sleep study 13 years ago because I did weird crap in my sleep (acting out dreams, talking, sleepwalking). Had the worst insomnia. The fatigue was crushing.

I wish I had sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. So the only thing they can do is give me stimulants during the day. Oh, and for awhile I had legal roofies... I roofied myself twice a night which was scary as hell. The sleep was great but sometimes it made me puke and if I did, I couldn’t get back to sleep. Or, if I fell asleep in a weird position, you freeze that way and you wake up in pain. So now I take a lot of Ambien. Which I love but makes you dependent.

So I think if there’s a machine that can make you feel well rested, give it a whirl. The consequences of not sleeping are real. And not just feeling crappy. I have friends that have the CPAP and it’s helped a lot.
Was prescribed clonazepam for acting out dreams. Our poor dog was kicked out of bed, literally, more than once. Might also help with narcolepsy. Provigil is just to keep you alert enough to function during your day.

Reaction Score
Was prescribed clonazepam for acting out dreams. Our poor dog was kicked out of bed, literally, more than once. Might also help with narcolepsy. Provigil is just to keep you alert enough to function during your day.
I was prescribed clonazapam... yeah, the problem with THAT is yes, it does help with the walking around, but once you’ve developed the Ambien dependency, it doesn’t really put you to sleep. So suddenly I was taking 1.5 mg of that plus Ambien because the lead time with clonazapam was too long. Once you get used to the 15 minutes and “boom” (plus Ambien is sorta fun, so if you have to take something to put you out, it’s cool), you can’t go back to the slow, mellow, let’s ease you into slumber. It also didn’t keep me asleep.

I can see why Michael Jackson may have developed a fentanyl problem.

Your poor dog. I had a huge dog who would just bark at me when I did insane stuff. I now have a king size bed and he died.

Reaction Score
And you’re right about the Provigil - that’s all it does. It’s better than nothing. It lasts pretty well (as does the Nuvigil), although some days I need the boosts of Adderrall. Adderrall alone doesn’t do it.

Reaction Score
Well, those medical factors and being significantly overweight. An unplugged breathing gizmo on Justice Scalia's bedside nightstand also may have contributed to his myocardial infarction and death.

@Whtdmd What's your take on a good % of apnea patients' overweight conditions, crappy eating, and minimal exercise significantly contributing to self-induced apnea? Hello America!
Its a big deal but weight lost will not solve most of the OSA cases. IF your OSA is severe, CPAP is the only treatment. Mild/moderate u might be able to go with oral device, surgery by ENT or significant wt lost if u r obese. The main health crisis in the US is Obesity, Tobacco, drug abuse and Etoh. If we take of those very "controllable" problems, the life expectancy should be up by 10 yrs n health care cost will decrease by at least 30%. I get frustrated by my family's $1800 monthly work subsidized policy since we hardly use it.

Reaction Score
Used one since around 2004. Used to wake up several times a night-started sleeping 6 hours straight. Honestly all that changed when my wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia 14 months ago. She is up around 4 or 430. So I get up to keep her from wandering off. Now I am good for 4 hours. At least it is uninterrupted.

Sporty to hear that. A loved one with dementia is a tough road for all involved. Best wishes.

Reaction Score
Over half the people who are started on CPAP aren’t using it in 5 years. For many people they are closet dust collectors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom