Slam 16 Showcase ft. Sool, Samson Johnson, Zion Cruz, Roddy Gayle, and other targets | The Boneyard

Slam 16 Showcase ft. Sool, Samson Johnson, Zion Cruz, Roddy Gayle, and other targets

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Sorta glad Jalen Warley isn't going to a Big East school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Announcers are saying that Samson was one of the top 2 players in the game. I only watched maybe 6 minutes and saw 8 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks and an assist. Obviously this is a showcase... but he wasn't capable of that last winter.

Reaction Score
could samson be better as a freshmen than akok was?

Potentially. But probably similar. I don't think he's as natural of a defender. People forget that Akok was actually not very highly ranked until June of what, 2018? He was terrible in AAU for most of the year and blew up 1 weekend. The 1 5* ranking was realistically probably too high for him.

Samson is definitely taller and a little bigger at the same stage. I think he's more of a true 4/5 now that he's gained some weight, where it's pretty special circumstances that we are going to be throwing Akok out at the 5.

Imagine a lineup of

Gaffney/Hawkins/Jackson/Akok/Johnson --No one is besting that group athletically. Throw them out in a 131 zone or that 122 press Hurley likes... super disruptive.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
could samson be better as a freshmen than akok was?
This is the first I've seen him play outside of highlight reels, so my opinion's worth what you pay for it. But based off of this one game, I think he could be. Give him another year to improve and get stronger, this kid's got a high ceiling.

One play he went up strong for a one-handed block with his right hand. It looked like the guy was going to get around him, and he basically changed plans in mid-air and made a great left handed block. Cool to watch.

Reaction Score
So pumped! First time I've seen both play outside of highlight reels. I was really impressed. Felt like it was Sool's team when he was on the court. He's a leader in the making. Samson plays good D, runs the court well, and finishes at the rim. And the 2 of them already have chemistry. Big things coming!

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
This is the first I've seen him play outside of highlight reels, so my opinion's worth what you pay for it. But based off of this one game, I think he could be. Give him another year to improve and get stronger, this kid's got a high ceiling.

One play he went up strong for a one-handed block with his right hand. It looked like the guy was going to get around him, and he basically changed plans in mid-air and made a great left handed block. Cool to watch.

That block was wild

bold prediction: SJ will be our highest ranked 2021 recruit when it’s all said and done

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So pumped! First time I've seen both play outside of highlight reels. I was really impressed. Felt like it was Sool's team when he was on the court. He's a leader in the making. Samson plays good D, runs the court well, and finishes at the rim. And the 2 of them already have chemistry. Big things coming!
The more I see, the more I love the personalities of the kids DH recruits. I think that means a LOT. There may be more than four banners hanging by the time he's done here. It's going to be fun either way.

In the near term, I've got the Pats Bills game to look forward to ;)

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The more I see, the more I love the personalities of the kids DH recruits. I think that means a LOT. There may will be more than four banners hanging by the time he's done here. It's going to be fun either way.

In the near term, I've got the Pats Bills game to look forward to ;)
Actually, I decided to FIFM (fixed it for myself)

Reaction Score
Definitely.

BY Rule #1.

Incoming recruits with no college experience are always better than existing roster players.
of course. but in this specific instance i asked if samson could be better than akok was last year as a freshmen, not if samson could be better than akok will be next year as a junior.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
of course. but in this specific scenario i asked if samson could be better than akok was last year as a freshmen, not if samson could be better than akok will be next year as a junior.
let's not get bogged down in the details ;)

Reaction Score
of course. but in this specific instance i asked if samson could be better than akok was last year as a freshmen, not if samson could be better than akok will be next year as a junior.
Akok ..From an eligibility perspective.. Will be a sophomore in 2021 season.. Not sure we'll be seeing him as a sophomore if he's 100% recovered..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom