SI's All-Time Top BBall Programs Using Stats | The Boneyard

SI's All-Time Top BBall Programs Using Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SI did a Top 75 of all-time basketball programs based on NCAA Tournaments and performance and Conference championships.

Surprisingly, the AAC does better than I would have thought:

7. UConn
9. Cincinnati
25. Temple
43. Memphis (2 vacated FFs probably don't count.)
51. Houston
60. SMU
72. Tulsa

Compare this to the current Big East:

26. Georgetown
30. Villanova (1 vacated FF not counted)
35. Butler
41. Xavier
48. Marquette
50. Creighton
57. St. John's

There is some bias to the numbers such as the NIT Tournament isn't included, but they did include NCAA champs prior to the NCAA Tournament.

Here is the link:

http://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-greatest-college-basketball-programs-time-statistically-ranked/

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There is some bias to the numbers such as the NIT Tournament isn't included, but they did include NCAA champs prior to the NCAA Tournament.

That makes zero sense. The NIT was a top shelf tournament at one point. Probably should have run the numbers since the 1970s or so.

Reaction Score
Hahahahahahahahaha. Syracuse is number 21! I don't need to even look at the metrics to determine that I agree with this list wholeheartedly! (except we should be 4 or 5 not 7)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pointless. Western Kentucky is a better program than Georgetown and Villanova...

Not enough credit given to national champions. For the love of God, please someone use the Fibanacci sequence, it actually works.

Reaction Score
WKU is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated programs. They go to the tournament all the time, and they often win games while they're there.

But they're definitely not better than Georgetown or Villanova.

Reaction Score
WKU is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated programs. They go to the tournament all the time, and they often win games while they're there.

But they're definitely not better than Georgetown or Villanova.
This. They have a solid program and I'm a little surprised that they have only now been invited to one of the 2nd (3rd?) tier conferences like CUSA.

On the list itself: much as I dislike Syracuse and others, there's not way BYU should be ahead of any team that has won a title. I mean, they've never been to a Final Four, so their accomplishments really don't matter.

Reaction Score
Hahahahahahahahaha. Syracuse is number 21! I don't need to even look at the metrics to determine that I agree with this list wholeheartedly! (except we should be 4 or 5 not 7)
Their fans are complaining that their Helms championships should carry more weight than the NCAA and NIT championships combined.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Their fans are complaining that their Helms championships should carry more weight than the NCAA and NIT championships combined.

Surprised they don't count their Premo-Porretta Championships too.

Funny thing about those Helms Championships is those were voted on, not decided on the court.

Reaction Score
This. They have a solid program and I'm a little surprised that they have only now been invited to one of the 2nd (3rd?) tier conferences like CUSA.

On the list itself: much as I dislike Syracuse and others, there's not way BYU should be ahead of any team that has won a title. I mean, they've never been to a Final Four, so their accomplishments really don't matter.

I was a little disappointed that the AAC decided to bring in ECU and Tulane rather than WKU. WKU's basketball program is worlds better than either of the other two, and their football program is credible; they've had a winning record three years running, though because of their Sun Belt affiliation, they've only made one bowl game.

Reaction Score
winning the Ivy counts as much as winning the BE, ACC, Big...

"Daniel D. Zillmer is a sports enthusiast who studied poetry for years. He's from the Midwest and developed an appreciation and understanding of sports from years spent watching and discussing games with his father. Columnist and Staff Writer for multiple sites. His work has been featured on BleacherReport.com, SportsIllustrated.com, Yardbarker.com, FoxSports.com, FanSided.com and CollegeSpun.com. He can be reached at dannyzillmerandwords@gmail.com." from FanSided

Its similar to expansion in professional sports, There just isn't enough quality pitching to go around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul