Sir Paul McCartney at Carrier Dome | The Boneyard

Sir Paul McCartney at Carrier Dome

Reaction Score
Went to the show last night in Syracuse. First of all that damn Orange is revolting. Secondly, whatever they're calling the Carrier Dome it doesn't change the fact that the place is a dump. Concourses are far too narrow. Sight lines weren't bad but all that Orange. The nice thing is that their only NC trophy sits all by it's lonely self. As for the concert. It was basically going to a Beatles show with a few Wings songs mixed in.

SIR PAUL.jpg

Reaction Score
Saw his show in Fort Worth a couple weeks ago. It's hard for me to be critical; the guy is royalty & I felt blessed to knock off a bucket list goal.

Met a guy who brought his entire family plus his brother and his kids. Very humbly he said he spent $38,000 for tickets for the clan. Then he said, I hope my 8-year-old can appreciate him. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The only time I ever got to the Carrier Dome was for a concert, not a ball game! It was the Spin Doctors opening for the Rolling Stones in 1994. Got there late and missed the opening act. :oops:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Went to the show last night in Syracuse. First of all that damn Orange is revolting. Secondly, whatever they're calling the Carrier Dome it doesn't change the fact that the place is a dump. Concourses are far too narrow. Sight lines weren't bad but all that Orange. The nice thing is that their only NC trophy sits all by it's lonely self. As for the concert. It was basically going to a Beatles show with a few Wings songs mixed in.

View attachment 76745
Place sucks. Worst sounding venue (other than metrodome in minneapolis) Ive ever been (saw the Dead at carrier dome in 83 and 84 who are renown for always being at forefront of live concert sound even they couldnt make room sound good) Love Paul. fiancee tried to get us to go , and I said "no, anywhere but that snakepit" so we are going to fenway wednesday. She wanted syracuse because it was a saturday and thus not a school night, but I argued that shes done next week with school we will be ok, and thus a compromise was reached. :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The only time I ever got to the Carrier Dome was for a concert, not a ball game! It was the Spin Doctors opening for the Rolling Stones in 1994. Got there late and missed the opening act. :oops:
My son works in the literal shadow of the dome. Been inside twice. Once on a campus visit and again when another son went to an admitted applicant luncheon in the Dome floor (he didn’t wind up going to SU). Not a beautiful place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Place sucks. Worst sounding venue (other than metrodome in minneapolis) Ive ever been (saw the Dead at carrier dome in 83 and 84 who are renown for always being at forefront of live concert sound even they couldnt make room sound good) Love Paul. fiancee tried to get us to go , and I said "no, anywhere but that snakepit" so we are going to fenway wednesday. She wanted syracuse because it was a saturday and thus not a school night, but I argued that shes done next week with school we will be ok, and thus a compromise was reached. :)
Wait, your fiancé is still in school?

Reaction Score

I’m there Wednesday with my kid. Would love to meet up for a drink. Staying over too so no rush to head back home.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Even if the show featured all the original Beatles I wouldn't walk in that POS bubble

Reaction Score
We texted but didn't meet up. I was in LF, he was on the field and he got in a little late.

For a lifelong fan and having a lifelong connection to the Beatles with my daughter, it was a very special night. I don't know how to convey that other than 50,000 people on a beautiful summer night, in that venue, singing "Hey, Jude" and "Let it Be" was something I'll never forget.

Aside from the hyperbole? His voice isn't the Paul from Ed Sullivan. Ringo and George weren't next to him. It wasn't the Beatles. But dammit, it was as good as it can get and Paul is probably the coolest human on the planet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We texted but didn't meet up. I was in LF, he was on the field and he got in a little late.

For a lifelong fan and having a lifelong connection to the Beatles with my daughter, it was a very special night. I don't know how to convey that other than 50,000 people on a beautiful summer night, in that venue, singing "Hey, Jude" and "Let it Be" was something I'll never forget.

Aside from the hyperbole? His voice isn't the Paul from Ed Sullivan. Ringo and George weren't next to him. It wasn't the Beatles. But dammit, it was as good as it can get and Paul is probably the coolest human on the planet.
Yep, you will never forget that. And neither will she.

Glad it delivered.

Reaction Score
Yep, you will never forget that. And neither will she.

Glad it delivered.
I'm at a keyboard now....so....

• I thought Jet and Band on the Run were two of the better songs all night. Granted, I really like all the Wings stuff but I thought these two sounded really, really good.

• I've never seen a concert at Fenway. The view and look and vibe of it was incredible. You'd catch yourself just looking around you and the views, especially at twilight. Super cool. That said, and I'd be interested to hear A-Dub's thoughts. For me in LF? The sound reverberated off the facade behind home plate at times. I'm not sure the park is acoustically the best venue. Not all night for me, but definitely a handful of times.

• The ONE song I simply cannot stand in the entire Beatles/solo Beatles catalog is "Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite". It's a running joke between me and my daughter....and he played it...and she serenaded me the entire time and it was a funny moment. I said this morning that I didn't even know the words to the second half of the song because I skip it every time.

• Lastly, I was thinking about this all morning. Is there anyone cooler than Paul McCartney living on this planet right now? No one I can name in movies/tv. No one in sports. In the music business, I'm sure some generations would pop some stupid name in there like Taylor Swift or something....but really. Can you name anyone cooler, country to country, on this planet?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
  • Lastly, I was thinking about this all morning. Is there anyone cooler than Paul McCartney living on this planet right now? No one I can name in movies/tv. No one in sports. In the music business, I'm sure some generations would pop some stupid name in there like Taylor Swift or something....but really. Can you name anyone cooler, country to country, on this planet?
I've been saying this for years. He's the most popular human being on the planet, and has been for more than 50 years. It's really amazing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The ONE song I simply cannot stand in the entire Beatles/solo Beatles catalog is "Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite". It's a running joke between me and my daughter....and he played it...and she serenaded me the entire time and it was a funny moment. I said this morning that I didn't even know the words to the second half of the song because I skip it every time.
Probably not a popular opinion here, but I've opted to not pursue tix. His voice was so bad in some recent things I've seen, I don't think I could've enjoyed the show, even for just nostalgia But happy for you that you did enjoy it.

"BFTBOMK" is indeed a strange choice for a McCartney set in the twilight of his career. It's almost 100% a Lennon composition. And unless you have all the original instruments, to me it would be like a mediocre Beatles cover band using midi. The song I'm really enjoying these days is, "Back Seat of My Car", and there's simply no way he could deliver on that today. Always wished he'd toured "Ram" at some point. I would've gone anywhere to see that up to a few years ago.

Lastly, I was thinking about this all morning. Is there anyone cooler than Paul McCartney living on this planet right now? No one I can name in movies/tv. No one in sports. In the music business, I'm sure some generations would pop some stupid name in there like Taylor Swift or something....but really. Can you name anyone cooler, country to country, on this planet?
Not now. But IMHO, Bourdain could've been if he was still around. Keith comes to mind, but more as an artifact who survived despite everything that suggested he shouldn't. I do love that he's really into gardening these days though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably not a popular opinion here, but I've opted to not pursue tix. His voice was so bad in some recent things I've seen, I don't think I could've enjoyed the show, even for just nostalgia But happy for you that you did enjoy it.

"BFTBOMK" is indeed a strange choice for a McCartney set in the twilight of his career. It's almost 100% a Lennon composition. And unless you have all the original instruments, to me it would be like a mediocre Beatles cover band using midi. The song I'm really enjoying these days is, "Back Seat of My Car", and there's simply no way he could deliver on that today. Always wished he'd toured "Ram" at some point. I would've gone anywhere to see that up to a few years ago.

Not now. But IMHO, Bourdain could've been if he was still around. Keith comes to mind, but more as an artifact who survived despite everything that suggested he shouldn't. I do love that he's really into gardening these days though.
So, I'll say this and leave it there for you. I work with a kid who's obsessed with the Beatles to an unhealthy point. Bought a Rickenbacker and taught himself how to play leftie because that's how Paul played. He went Tuesday and said it was the best he's heard him sound in years. And he's almost 80, so not many more shots to see him again, I'd guess.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So, I'll say this and leave it there for you. I work with a kid who's obsessed with the Beatles to an unhealthy point. Bought a Rickenbacker and taught himself how to play leftie because that's how Paul played. He went Tuesday and said it was the best he's heard him sound in years. And he's almost 80, so not many more shots to see him again, I'd guess.
Fair enough. Again, glad you enjoyed it. I'll give him this - very ambitious set list, including Birthday and Helter Skelter in the encore. I'm surprised he'd even attempt either at this point.

When I saw the Analogues do their Abbey Road show in Antwerp, in the second half they did Ob-La-Di. It got one of the best reactions of any of the 30+ songs they did. That song used to be considered a bad joke. I guess it's finally caught on!

Do you really hate Mr. Kite more than than Fuh You?

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Again, glad you enjoyed it. I'll give him this - very ambitious set list, including Birthday and Helter Skelter in the encore. I'm surprised he'd even attempt either at this point.

When I saw the Analogues do their Abbey Road show in Antwerp, in the second half they did Ob-La-Di. It got one of the best reactions of any of the 30+ songs they did. That song used to be considered a bad joke. I guess it's finally caught on!

Do you really hate Mr. Kite more than than Fuh You?
LOL. I just think it's an odd creepy song. And of all the great music they probably left on the recording studio floor, how this one made it this far along.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Meg Griffin (Sirius DJ to whom I've been listening since before she was on Sirius) was there last night too and was just commenting on what a great night it was. And she has seen him a bunch over the years. Naturally, she mentioned how amazing the moment is when 50,000 people are singing along to "Hey, Jude."

As I've said here before, the fact that the daughter I took to MSG to see him described that as the happiest moment in her life, years after the fact, still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it now (and frequently makes me misty).

Did he have the pyrotechnics for "Live and Let Die"? I remember being more impressed by that song than I expected, and I can still recall feeling the heat from those flames every time they set that off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom