Since the Huskies and Vols won't schedule each other ... | The Boneyard

Since the Huskies and Vols won't schedule each other ...

Will the Huskies and Lady Vols meet next spring?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think the NCAA will put them in brackets that make their meeting a near-certainty in 2014?

Reaction Score
UTENN is always on a path to play us. Just sometimes a little later in the tourney than some of us hope. The problem is they have been losing before we get our shot at them. Last year they almost got there but just couldn't get through Louisville. I also believe that for the next three years any team wanting a National Championship will need to go through UCONN. But deep down inside, I would love to see them as a two seed in our bracket.

Reaction Score
If the seeding is done intentionally, the NCAA wont match them up until the final 4. NCAA would like Tenn there for attendence purposes.

Reaction Score
They will put them in our bracket as long as the NCAA thinks TENN has a better chance at winning the game. I was surprised the NCAA didn't put TENN in our region this year, but they were willing to settle for the Elena Del Donne spectacle instead.
They didn't dare put TENN in our bracket last year knowing that it would more than likely be Pat's last game as a coach.
The NCAA wouldn't have thought twice of putting them in our bracket if CONN was the weaker team and certain to lose.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think they have already passed up chances to do this so I don't see any special effort being made.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tenn will not be in the same bracket as UConn. The committee will want Tenn & UConn to meet in Nashville and not before. Have to believe with the talent that Tenn has, that they will be at least a 2 seed, possibly a one seed if Russell is as good as advertised.

Reaction Score
There is no conspiracy theory. The committee will follow the bracketing principles and if the schools are to end up together, they will. But ever since the switch in 2006 to geographic-based bracketing, it is less likely that the two teams will be in the same region.

This coming year, UConn is all but certain to be placed in Kingston RI. Whereas Tenn is closer to Raleigh and Des Moines. To end up in Kingston, the Vols would have to be #7/8 or #11/12 in the overall NCAA rankings, AND not behind a team like Maryland or Penn St, which are relatively close to RI. Not a high probability event I'd say.

Reaction Score
IMO there is a good possibility that the 2 teams will meet in the Final in Nashville playing for championship number 9 and after that the schools will meet in the Maggie D. tournament and than will start to play regular out of conference games year in and year out.

Reaction Score
On the Tennessee attendance thing, I think the WCBB tournament Final 4 has come far enough that the arena will be full..... COuld be wrong about that .... but I would think it would be a sellout even without Vols.....

As for their chances of getting there..... I do not see it..... from what I saw of their games last yr, they do not have the "right stuff" .... including attitude.... to get there..... and I think that people ..... particularly the rose-colored-glasses folks at UT, are counting on Mercedes to be the elixir for them..... very seldom have I seen a freshman player at any position make that much of a difference.....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Penn State will not be that high this year as there is a great deal of rebuilding going on with 7 Freshman.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"particularly the rose-colored-glasses folks at UT, "

Just picking a nit here - I think UTenn fans look at the world of WCBB through tangerine colored glasses. Unfortunately, the glasses were left in the sun too long and their view of things is greatly distorted.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
"particularly the rose-colored-glasses folks at UT, "

Just picking a nit here - I think UTenn fans look at the world of WCBB through tangerine colored glasses. Unfortunately, the glasses were left in the sun too long and their view of things is greatly distorted.

U

UCONNfan1

UTENN is always on a path to play us. Just sometimes a little later in the tourney than some of us hope. The problem is they have been losing before we get our shot at them. Last year they almost got there but just couldn't get through Louisville. I also believe that for the next three years any team wanting a National Championship will need to go through UCONN. But deep down inside, I would love to see them as a two seed in our bracket.
That would be a great scenario. Prevent them from getting to the final 4 in their own state by beating them in the elite 8. It's just too delicious to even hope for...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That would be a great scenario. Prevent them from getting to the final 4 in their own state by beating them in the elite 8. It's just too delicious to even hope for...

Kinda like UVA did in 1990.... not only was the final 4 in Tennessee that year... but it was also in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
Kinda like UVA did in 1990.... not only was the final 4 in Tennessee that year... but it was also in Knoxville.
I watched a show about Pat Summit and she was talking about flying somewhere while she was pregnant. She started going into labor on the plane so the pilot told her that he was going to make an emergency landing. They were flying over Virginia at the time so she told him "Not until he gets outside Virginia air space." Sounded crazy to me at the time, but since I learned more about her, I wouldn't expect anything else from her.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Do you think the NCAA will put them in brackets that make their meeting a near-certainty in 2014?
I think UConn and Tenn will meet in the semis in Nashville Tenn in 2014. Already booking motels for my first final four after a lot of regionals! I can feel this happening in Tennessee!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
If the seeding is done intentionally, the NCAA wont match them up until the final 4. NCAA would like Tenn there for attendence purposes.
It will be the semis to ensure better chance that they meet- they will be on the same side of the bracket.

Reaction Score
Why would the NCAA go out of their way to arrange a "chance" meeting in the tourney this year? Why not the first season that St. Pat had cancelled the game in the regular season? There were plenty of chances...

Why are people so obsessed with Tennessee?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The NCAA is absolutely hoping for a matchup between Uconn and Tennesee in the tournament. There's so much history- 16 NCs out of 32 championships starting in 1982. A matchup between the two most storied programs has attraction, vilification of the Uconn program be damned. Geno is the most respected elder statesman for WCBB, and there is a good chance that both schools end up in the F4 in Nashville in 2014. It will be such a hyped game if it does indeed transpire.

Reaction Score
IMHO, the NCAA bracket will have Uconn and Tenn meeting in the FINAL>

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
IMHO, the NCAA bracket will have Uconn and Tenn meeting in the FINAL>

Maybe one of the stats guys here will post the odds of that happening. UTenn hasn't made a final four since Parker left.

Reaction Score
Maybe one of the stats guys here will post the odds of that happening. UTenn hasn't made a final four since Parker left.

Assuming both make the field, the probability of being bracketed for the finals is 32/63 (51%).
If, TN & CT are not in the same region, then the probability jumps to 67%.

The probabilty of teams actually making the final is subjective, depending on how good you think they are. The final has pitted two #1 seeds in 10/32 cases (31%).

So, if my memory is correct ... if both are #1 seeds ... then the probability of them being put on opposite sides of the bracket AND making it to the final is about .67 x .31 == 21%.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Why would the NCAA go out of their way to arrange a "chance" meeting in the tourney this year? Why not the first season that St. Pat had cancelled the game in the regular season? There were plenty of chances...

Why are people so obsessed with Tennessee?
I just think that next years brackets will be lined up for a potential meeting in the semis.i'm not obsessed with them, I just think it will happen in Tenn next year. Tenn will be very good and eager to play for Nat Championship in their home state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom