Since some want to chalk it all up to recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Since some want to chalk it all up to recruiting

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ollie and the guys handing out those rankings were both wrong.

Reaction Score
Yea I don't know what Borges is talking about. The idea of position less basketball is having a bunch of guys who can shoot and handle the ball on offense and who can switch on defense. The idea of long athletic guys who have no skill is not a strategy that would work on any level.

Just a guess, but I think he's of the opinion that Ollie recruited athletes and interchangeable guys with a certain body type because that's what he thought "positionless" basketball was all about. However, from watching teams like SMU and Villanova, it seems the idea of positionless basketball entails having versatile guys who can do a little of everything, but still have a primary skill such as rebounding, shooting, or ball handling. Take a guy like Williams, for instance. No doubt he is a terrific athlete, but what skill does he bring to a basketball team? Sure, he can jump out of the building (allegedly), but if that doesn't translate into rebounding, scoring, or defense, it's meaningless. I know everyone is really high on Whaley. He's certainly athletic, and he may be a great player someday - hopefully for UConn. What are the basketball strengths of either of those two guys? Assuming they have one, they're still not good positionless basketball players because they aren't versatile. Essentially, Ollie filled the team with a bunch of similar guys with no skill, as opposed to guys with multiple skills.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
When Vance Jackson, Enoch and Durham go on to become good players, then we can revisit. Until then. The problem is recruiting.

I wrote the problem was recruiting because the UConn team had 2 top 100s on the floor today, and a bunch of 2 and 3 stars. some of them are/will be good. Others? Not so much.

Villanova had 5 or 6 top players to UConn's 2. And a couple of those were ranked very high.
And if you want to win a NC at least 2 of them need to be NBA caliber players.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Who knows how long KO will last, but there is at least one big in the current group who doesn’t seem
like a bad recruit. Carlton, if coached well and progresses has a lot of potential. Needs some added muscle, but has an idea how to play the post.

Reaction Score
What a refreshing take. Between this and the 300 other threads and posts that say exactly the same thing 15 different ways I'm so glad I dropped in this morning.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The problem is also injuries and being able to Put a full team on the court. Last year we went into games with 6-7 players. This year we're down three players. It's a bad combination of a recruiting, injuries and players that just can't compensate. We are currently without TL and Gilbert and we get nothing (zero) out of Cobb and and DO.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think Carlton was a diamond in the rough, but his potential will be coupled will Ollie’s ability to coach bigs.

Whaley and Carlton aren’t bad, so you gotta give credit where it’s due. As much as I want him fired, gotta look at both sides. These two are nice pieces that can contribute.

Reaction Score
I think Carlton was a diamond in the rough, but his potential will be coupled will Ollie’s ability to coach bigs.

Whaley and Carlton aren’t bad, so you gotta give credit where it’s due. As much as I want him fired, gotta look at both sides. These two are nice pieces that can contribute.

Except Ollie already had a better Carlton in Steven Enoch. Enoch was more polished than Carlton and would have been huge for us this year. Boneyard hated on Enoch and some still do cause of his defense. Ollie never played him in a losing season cause he wanted to play Brimah and not develop Enoch. Then acts shocked when Enoch transfers. Also, Durham was coming off two knee surgeries and needed time on the court. There is a reason that big time programs wanted both of them.

Ollie is to blame for losing those two. Also, who is our shooter next season? He still didn't recruit a shooter. Akinjo is streaky three point shooter and who knows about Mathews but he isn't known as a deep threat. So we are stuck with streaky three point shooters and two guard's Gilbert and Akinjo who will absolutely go one on one in Ollies hero ball offense.

Reaction Score
Except Ollie already had a better Carlton in Steven Enoch. Enoch was more polished than Carlton and would have been huge for us this year. Boneyard hated on Enoch and some still do cause of his defense. Ollie never played him in a losing season cause he wanted to play Brimah and not develop Enoch. Then acts shocked when Enoch transfers. Also, Durham was coming off two knee surgeries and needed time on the court. There is a reason that big time programs wanted both of them.

Ollie is to blame for losing those two. Also, who is our shooter next season? He still didn't recruit a shooter. Akinjo is streaky three point shooter and who knows about Mathews but he isn't known as a deep threat. So we are stuck with streaky three point shooters and two guard's Gilbert and Akinjo who will absolutely go one on one in Ollies hero ball offense.

I would take Carlton over Enoch 99.9% of the time. The kid has great feel around the hoop, and actually scores.

Reaction Score
I would take Carlton over Enoch 99.9% of the time. The kid has great feel around the hoop, and actually scores.

You made my point which is why this team is where it is.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I made your point that Enoch is better than Carlton by saying Carlton is better than Enoch?

I think he is saying that since we have Carlton and not Enoch and our team is playing poorly that Enoch is actually better.

Reaction Score
Carlton is developing cause no one else is on the team who can play the position. Enoch had Brimah who he just loved to play or Ollie would go small with Facey. Carlton would be transferring at end of season also if he had those two in front of him. Enoch is a talented post player who wasn't given a chance to develop. A few games ago Carlton traveled twice had his shot blocked and shot an airball baby hook. Ollie still playing him. Enoch would never see the court again if he did that. So your seeing Carlton get better while you seen Enoch's mistakes and that was it.

Anyway thats my opinion and as I said Enoch was not not liked on the BY as most say he sucked which and I couldn't disagree more.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
the NC showed he can coach.
I've started to wonder if that's true. Much like the Kemba NC, we were lead by a player that had tremendous will and ice in his veins. Not sure the offensive scheme was any better in 2014, we just had a better player with the ball in his hands as the clock wound down and a better supporting cast. I could be way off on this as the memory slips with age.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Enoch has the physical tools and better size than Carlton, but Carlton is way ahead of him offensively and as far as defensive positioning etc. Calling Enoch more polished than Carlton is a stretch. It remains to be seen who will be the better college player of course but given what we saw last year I politely disagree with your post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carlton is developing cause no one else is on the team who can play the position. Enoch had Brimah who he just loved to play or Ollie would go small with Facey. Carlton would be transferring at end of season also if he had those two in front of him. Enoch is a talented post player who wasn't given a chance to develop. A few games ago Carlton traveled twice had his shot blocked and shot an airball baby hook. Ollie still playing him. Enoch would never see the court again if he did that. So your seeing Carlton get better while you seen Enoch's mistakes and that was it.

Anyway thats my opinion and as I said Enoch was not not liked on the BY as most say he sucked which and I couldn't disagree more.
Enoch for all of his D lapses was handled poorly by KO who was married to Brimah from day 1. Brimah, a great intimidator and shot blocker couldn’t rebound or score unless it was a throwdown. Even though our season was toasted last year, he didn’t let Enoch get the floor time. Brimah would put up lines of 3 points and 2 rebounds so sure Enoch was pissed. Now KO owns the roster he recruited and disinherited. He owns the roster that can’t shoot. But he’s staying on the ship.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino saw enough in Enoch to offer him a scholarship. Pitino knows talent when he sees it.

Reaction Score

Enoch may well turn out to be a good player but so will/did Drummond but at UConn for his one year Drummond did not know how to play basketball. Individual skills development are on the players. You telling me Calhoun was the big factor between Kemba as a sophomore and a junior? Facey got plenty of playing time, he's the one who wouldn't/couldn't shoot.

Basketball is not that hard, the way Enoch played when he was in showed disinterest at best. How many good players get a chance to play and don't earn more playing time? Why was Hilton not the senior Hilton when he was a freshman or sophomore?
I looked at Enoch and Brimah stats last year and Carlton this year. Brimah played 24 minutes a game and Enoch 12 MAG and Carlton 13 MAG. Shooting %,rebounds per game, scoring average and turnovers in total:
Enoch - 41%, 2.3, 3.4, 32
Brimah - 57%, 6.1, 7.6, 50
So Enoch got half the playing time vs. Brimah (arguably against other teams lesser players) and shot 16% points worse, less rebounds per minute vs. a guy who couldn't rebound and more turnovers per minute than a guy who was a turnover machine? And that's the guy you wanted to play more? 12 MAG is enough to show if you've got it and Enoch didn't.
Carlton - 52%, 3.6, 4.3, 20
So Carlton is shooting better, rebounding better, scoring better and has less turnovers than Enoch in about the same playing time per game.
Recruiting better talent is on Ollie, Enoch playing as he played in 12 minutes per game was on him.
Since I was wasting my time anyway on this, thought would look up Hilton. His MAG per his career were 11, 9, 12, 28; so for 3 years he got Enoch type minutes. Compared Hilton senior year to Brimah for categories listed above:
Hilton - 61%, 6.6, 9.7, 77
So in Hilton's break out year in a few more minutes a game and with better players (Rudy, Marcus, etc.) he shot little better, scored a basket a game more, rebounded about the same (vs, guy who couldn't rebound) and had more turnovers (vs. guy who was a turnover machine). To show how poorly I remember things (so I checked it twice) Hilton actually had more blocks than Brimah 107 to 87.
I expect Ollie to try and win every game, that's what coaches do (even when they are bad at it). Playing Enoch more was not what a good coach should do given above stats. Could Enoch become a senior like Hilton, sure, but it won't be because Loserville did it for him it will be on Enoch.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Enoch was a clueless defender and couldn't finish inside if anyone was within five feet of him. He had an impressive physical profile, that's it.

In his first 9 minutes combined in the opening 2 losses to Wagner and Northeastern last year he was 1 for 9 in those 9 minutes. The dude was missing a shot a minute! Yeah let's give him floor time when on the other end he was guarding people with his ass with his back turned to them.

Reactions: pj

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
In his first 9 minutes combined in the opening 2 losses to Wagner and Northeastern last year he was 1 for 9 in those 9 minutes. The dude was missing a shot a minute! Yeah let's give him floor time when on the other end he was guarding people with his ass with his back turned to them.

But he was part of the Ollie Exodus. That means he was a beast.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

I loved Enoch down low, but he’s moved on and so should we. He’ll be a baller at UL.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
KO's got our guys playing position-less basketball. They can't play point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward or center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom