Sims Wins Naismith for Players Under 5'8" | The Boneyard

Sims Wins Naismith for Players Under 5'8"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually the award is for those 5'8" and under, a little different than under 5'8".

But this should really be investigated because her wikipedia bio has her listed at 5'9", and the official Baylor and the USA Basketball listings at 5'8" have not been proven to my satisfaction. I believe the BY should demand to review a few pictures of OS standing next to MoJeff and Bria, whose heights are kind of well known, and let us definitively determine whether she makes the cut for the Pomeroy.

HGN

Reaction Score
Most players heights are in error , most are listed taller than they are measured. Everywhere I have seen her height stated it said 5'8. If Sims is listed at 5'8 more than likely she is about 5'7. A stocky and strong 5'7.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So I guess Hartley was most likely the runner-up ? :rolleyes:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Never heard of this award before, but I see Renee won it in 2009, and Jen Rizotti won it in 1996.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
So who gets the over 5' 8" award or is it 5' 8" and over or 5' 8" less 2 inches?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The cutoff was changed from 5' 6" to 5' 8" presumably in 2001, which helped Neile Ivey.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sims is listed as 5' 8" on the Baylor roster, which is where you might expect some inflation to occur.
Same height on the USA basketball roster, (pdf link) where I would expect more accuracy.
Wait a minute Phil. You of all people have more faith in the Baylor athletic department than wikipedia? And as you can clearly see in the pic below, OS has to be at least 5'8.132".

512x.jpg

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think you were trying to make a joke, but I can imagine a random athletic department either being casual about recording heights, or maybe even interested in stretching, so to speak (not intending to cast apersions on Baylor, I would say the same about UConn)
In contrast, it was my understanding that the USA staff actually did measurements. I don't have solid evidence to back this up, and will check.
As for Wikipedia, my trust is highly variable, and depends on the type of article, and who edited it. For example, I have edited the Naismith article, so it is highly suspect.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I got a very prompt response from USA basketball. In short,they generally accept the information in the bios for the girls. On the boys side, because they run some developmental leagues, they are more apt to make the measurements themselves.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The other issue here is that maybe Baylor waited to measure her in the evening after she had shrunk down an inch. If they had measured her as soon as she awoke, would she have been 5'9"?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The other issue here is that maybe Baylor waited to measure her in the evening after she had shrunk down an inch. If they had measured her as soon as she awoke, would she have been 5'9"?

They decided she plays most games in the evening so it is OK.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
the USA staff actually did measurements.

Well, I'm not so sure about that. The WUG roster has Hartley at 5'7" and the 3-3 roster had her at 5'10".

Based on this picture, if Hartley is listed at 5'7", Massengale is listed at 5'6" and Sims is listed at 5'8", what do you think their relative heights are?

071513_0179.JPG

Ellenberg is listed at 5'7" and Schimmel is listed at 5'9".

071513_0180.JPG

Reaction Score
Well, I'm not so sure about that. The WUG roster has Hartley at 5'7" and the 3-3 roster had her at 5'10".

Based on this picture, if Hartley is listed at 5'7", Massengale is listed at 5'6" and Sims is listed at 5'8", what do you think their relative heights are?

071513_0179.JPG

071513_0180.JPG

Based on these pics, Bria is 6'4', with a 7'2" wingspan...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually the award is for those 5'8" and under, a little different than under 5'8".

But this should really be investigated because her wikipedia bio has her listed at 5'9", and the official Baylor and the USA Basketball listings at 5'8" have not been proven to my satisfaction. I believe the BY should demand to review a few pictures of OS standing next to MoJeff and Bria, whose heights are kind of well known, and let us definitively determine whether she makes the cut for the Pomeroy.

You believe MoJets listed height?
Ha, Ha, and the tooth fairy too?

Reaction Score

It's funny but when I saw the headline post, I was thinking exactly as you. Has somebody measured her and Bria and the others whose size is in that general area? I'm inclined to think she's probably 5'9" because she doesn't look small in comparison to the other guards on the floor and there really aren't too many girls playing today that are under 5'10" or bigger. She may get away with some of it because she's really burly and that might give the impression of being shorter than she actually is. She is an outstanding player but if in fact the award is for 5'8" or under, I hope they went through the formality of being absolutely sure that she is.

Reaction Score
Maybe the inclination was to "short change her" so as to be sure she's eligible for at least one award during her Baylor career. It was apparent coming out of high school that she was a big talent and that unless something strange happened she would have the potential to win some awards which in turn would be advantageous for Baylor insofar as recruiting is concerned. Why not fudge a little bit and drop her height an inch or two, thus making her available for this award. Theoretically she's also eligible for the regular Naismith too, isn't she???? I would assume so, anyway!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

071513_0179.JPG

071513_0180.JPG
Woah, clearly if Bria is 5'7" than OS really is a munchkin and probably hangs with huskybill. I have noticed though that Huskies tend to grow in stature when they join the team, so Bria could be pushing 6' at this point.

In any case, these types of awards should probably have a height-in measurement like the weigh-ins they have before boxing matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom