Sims squeezes off 28 shots against Texas | The Boneyard

Sims squeezes off 28 shots against Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nearly 50% of team's total

LINK
Actually, isn't that a little bit under her average. It seems she takes a massive amount of shots every game and in the times I've checked, she normally was shooting for a very poor percentage. She was also living at the foul line. Reminds me a lot of our girl at Stanford!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Poor shooting in the first half but she went 8-13 in the second half. She got to the FT line 13 times. I can live with that. If she didnt draw so many fouls it would bother me more but she puts the defense in a position of having to foul her by driving to the basket so much.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Poor shooting in the first half but she went 8-13 in the second half. She got to the FT line 13 times. I can live with that. If she didnt draw so many fouls it would bother me more but she puts the defense in a position of having to foul her by deiving to the basket so much.
Okay, maybe a little slip there, but "deiving" looks a lot like "diving," so just wondering if there was anything more you were saying about Sims' drives to the basket?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The extra points that Sims made on her two 3-pointers plus her 10 free throws are the eqivalent of 6 more made two point buckets. She may shoot a lot but she gets points on the scoreboard. There are a LOT of teams that do not have a player that can break down the defense enough to do that.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If you have a player that takes over 40% of the shots, and scores almost 50% of the points, and your next best scorer is in single digits with 9 pts, and 4 of 5 starters play 30 mins, what does that do to those that are out there for a lot of minutes and don't contribute as much? After a while, will the other players just stop doing the little things, knowing that they most likely won't be taking a shot?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She still needs to learn to trust her teammates. It was the second half of the UCONN game when she backed off that the other 4 could give UCONN the toughest time. She needs to recognize that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She still needs to learn to trust her teammates. It was the second half of the UCONN game when she backed off that the other 4 could give UCONN the toughest time. She needs to recognize that.

No, she doesn't. She about stats, not winning.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She does need to learn that for the team to be successful. I agree with the rest of your statement as to her current focus.

Reaction Score
I disagree. She is doing what her coach wants and expects her to do. If she isn't, it is up to Kim to change her game plan. She played 3 years where the sets were designed primarily to get the ball to Griner with Sims as the second option. This year she is Kim's featured player and the second best option is not an AA as in years past.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

I can see this, but at this point in the season, shouldn't that trust have been developed a bit more? Not sure you can go into league and NCAA tourney still learning how to trust teammates.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
At 4 apg in conference play and second best on the Bears, it's not like Sims isn't in the mix with passing the ball around. The big difference is simply that she takes an amount of shots usually given over to two to two-and-a-half players.

There are a lot of issues such as team psychology and development and more limited options in big games that are open to conjecture, but statistically a game like yesterday for Sims despite the sub 40% shooting is, when you factor in the FTs, pretty similar to a 50% shooter going 16-32 but with no FTs. Most coaches would take that, at least for isolated games, though if it is the norm it brings in all those team makeup questions.

Baylor has five conference games left before their tourney with the only real challenger being a home game against WVU. That should give them the room to develop other options far more fully for the tourneys if they want to, but being on an eight-game roll, they probably won't make major changes and hope that a one-star focused offense can carry them deep, just as with Louisville in 2009.

But as with UConn, the key for Baylor begins with its defense, which during the winning streak has held four of eight opponents under 60 points and has let only one team score more than 70 for an average of 59.6 during that span. That will keep you pretty safe when you have the 4th best scoring offense in the country. And in the NCAAs it will likely be the D that makes or breaks the Bears.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Those other options worked quite well in the second half against UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree. She is doing what her coach wants and expects her to do. If she isn't, it is up to Kim to change her game plan. She played 3 years where the sets were designed primarily to get the ball to Griner with Sims as the second option. This year she is Kim's featured player and the second best option is not an AA as in years past.

This is actially true. Kim has asked Sims to do exactly what she is doing. Kim knows how to get a player under control and if she wanted Sims to take fewer shots that is what would happen. Sims is shooting 46% from the field in conference play and 47% from three-point range. I didn't see a thread about her the two previous games when she went a combined 25 of 38 (65.6%), including 9-13 (69%) from three point range.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims went 9-13 tonight, including 6-8 from 3-point range. She also dished out 9 assists. Over the past 4 games she is 45-79 for 57% ftom the floor and has hit 17 of 29 three pointers for 58%. To score the same number of points on only 2 point shots she would have to shoot 67%.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sims went 9-13 tonight, including 6-8 from 3-point range. She also dished out 9 assists. Over the past 4 games she is 45-79 for 57% ftom the floor and has hit 17 of 29 three pointers for 58%. To score the same number of points on only 2 point shots she would have to shoot 67%.
is she your 2014 NPOY?

Reaction Score
I think it's important to remember that Sims played with one set of players the first three years at Baylor. Suddenly, they're all gone. The other top 5 players on the team, including one truly unique talent. Suddenly out of that team, Sims is on her own with unpolished, inexperienced players, after having spent the last 3 with just the opposite. I think that has major impact on the offensive role she has taken.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Those are great stats and the kind of games she is capable of when her shot selection is good and other players are involved. And at 20 shots per game on average it is not a bad percentage of Baylor's shots. The problem I have (and Kim obviously does not have) is when the shot numbers approach 30 or pass it. At that point the shot selection tends to go down, the percentages go down, and the other players on the floor become spectators and Baylor becomes too predictable. When Sims is taking that many shots Baylor becomes 'beatable' by other strong teams. Against most of the schedule it is not a problem, against the best teams it is. But the habits that you acquire in those games may be hard to break not just for Sims, but for the other players as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom