OT: - Simone Biles makes history (again) | The Boneyard

OT: Simone Biles makes history (again)

Reaction Score
I taught all of Ally Raisman’s relatives (siblings and first cousins). Crazy flipping leaps will never cease to scare me. I still think my students who got Ally’s old math textbooks were on to something by keeping them and paying the lost book fee to have a gold medal olympian’s Math books lol

Reaction Score
When I was in college, I was drunk and did a summersault for the first time in aaaaaages. My neck hurt for days afterwards — like the kept me up at night kind of hurt.

Gymnasts amaze me.
My daughter was a level 10 gymnast so I realize the effort it takes to compete at a high level in gymnastics. Without a doubt, Simone Biles is the greatest gymnast I ever watched compete in this sport, one of a kind!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is interesting that her routine until the dismount was very shaky (for her standards at least). To have the confidence to go for it and to pull that off when you are not at your best is just as impressive to me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
By anyone's standards that routine was shaky, but I still cannot believe she pullled the dismount off w/o a hitch and pretty much stuck the landing. She is one cool customer and a generational athlete.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US Gymnastic Championships (Night 2) on NBC 8PM

Biles was pissed at herself by subpar performances in all her disciplines :D

I expect greatness

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US Gymnastic Championships (Night 2) on NBC 8PM

Biles was pissed at herself by subpar performances in all her disciplines :D

I expect greatness

I was not disappointed.

Simone was fantastic tonight on all 4 skills including the never been done tumbling move (triple double). She got so high the the coach had to add extra cushions during the tumbling run. I don't think I ever saw that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Missed the US Championships this year. I still remember how juiced I was in 1984 when Mary Lou Retton was competing. I saw her older sister, Sheri when she was competing at WVU. She was good, but no Mary Lou. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The first time this dismount has been completed cleanly. Incredible!

Simone Biles is simply amazing!! :)

Biles is tiny!! She stands a whopping 4'8". She’s 22 years old (b. 3/14/1997), so she's done growing..........in height, but not in popularity. She's still the darling of USA gymnastics. ;)

How tall is the average female gymnast? - Aly Raisman, at 5'2", is one of the tallest female gymnasts on Team - U.S.A., a height that leaves her practically towering over teammates like Simone Biles, who according to NBC is 4'8" — which makes her the shortest U.S. athlete, but still gives her a few inches over 16-year-old, 4'4" Brazilian gymnast Flavia Lopes

According to reports from USA Today, Biles' net worth is in excess of 2 million dollars. Good for her.

You go girl!!! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing athlete! My dumb question: HOW does she get so much altitude in the tumbling run posted above? Is it all great tumbling ability + mechanics, or is it helped by some springiness in the floor?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Amazing athlete! My dumb question: HOW does she get so much altitude in the tumbling run posted above? Is it all great tumbling ability + mechanics, or is it helped by some springiness in the floor?

Although the floor exercise 'floor' definitely has evolved with more spring over the years, Biles power (see her legs) and speed manifests in better height, tumbling (you name it), She is unique and without peer.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I am awestruck at Biles' accomplishment--and at the judges' expertise. Even when I know that dismount's coming, I can't separate out all the flips and twists.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
GOAT

Not the only one who thinks that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members