Similar players? | The Boneyard

Similar players?

Reaction Score
I was checking Katie Lou's exhibition box score and comparing her performance in the latest game to Mabry. It brought to mine two players who had similar careers in the WNBA and I wondered what the thoughts were on the board about these two. I'm speaking of KML and Shoni Schimmel. They seem to me to be similar players although Shoni has a broader skill set. Wonder why KML still has a place in the WNBA and Shoni Schimmel doesn't

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I was checking Katie Lou's exhibition box score and comparing her performance in the latest game to Mabry. It brought to mine two players who had similar careers in the WNBA and I wondered what the thoughts were on the board about these two. I'm speaking of KML and Shoni Schimmel. They seem to me to be similar players although Shoni has a broader skill set. Wonder why KML still has a place in the WNBA and Shoni Schimmel doesn't
With respect, I think I must be missing something, because I don't see the Mabrey::KLS comparison nor the Schimmel:KML comparisons.

The only thing Mabrey and KLS have in common is their reputation for taking pretty shots from outside - Mabrey often ran the point at ND, and I think KLS has a far more versatile skillset, including a much better game in the paint. (I doubt I have to persuade many people of that in these parts).

The only thing Schimmel and KML have had in common was that "fitness" dogged them as professionals and capped their WNBA ceilings. Schimmel ran the point and was a way more versatile all-court player, with high-volume and mid-percentage shooting. She was also a much better defender. IMHO, KML does one thing and one thing really well: she is a remarkably good shooter, especially from outside. I think KML has survived where Schimmel hasn't because fitness matters more when you're a point guard expected to contribute on defense.

Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

KML is a better shooter and a more efficient player than Shoni. Doesnt make a ton of mistakes, dead eye shooter, doesnt do a ton besides that. Schimmel was electric at times but also a wild child on the court and prone to poor decision making. That'll get you cut more than anything else, especially if you come into camp out of shape.

KLS/Mabrey are both great shooters but Mabrey has better PG skills and isnt at driving in for layups as KLS. KLS is a much better defender and all around scorer. Much longer player. Personality wise on the court they couldn't be more different. KLS reminds me more of a poor man's Dewanna Bonner. A little shorter and not quite as athletic but both rely heavily on 3pts and driving in for layups to score. Bonner can score at will in the W, I'm not sure KLS will be able to with the talent in the league. KLS is an exceptional passer and will likely be the more error free player but wont be as dynamic offensively as Bonner even if she's a better shooter. She could be very good though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
dead eye shooter

Is she though? In college for sure. Her WNBA stats are pretty modest though. She was #6 in the league in 3 point shooting in '18 but in 2 of the previous 3 years she was sub 30%, not good.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Is she though? In college for sure. Her WNBA stats are pretty modest though. She was #6 in the league in 3 point shooting in '18 but in 2 of the previous 3 years she was sub 30%, not good.

She's a great shooter when she gets a clean catch and shoot and is in rhythm. She also played on a better team last year so she got better looks than the previous couple of years. That's her game though...shooting 3s.

Schimmel can get really hot but can also stay cold and that doesn't deter her from jacking up shots. Schimmel can do more than KML will but sometimes it is to the detriment of her team.

Reaction Score
From her Wikipedia page

On April 14, 2014, Schimmel was selected in the first round of the 2014 WNBA draft (eighth pick overall) by the Atlanta Dream. Despite coming off the bench, Schimmel had an impressive rookie season, averaging 8.3 ppg and was voted a WNBA All-Star starter, become just the third reserve in league history to achieve that.[10] In her first career game, Schimmel scored 7 points to go with a franchise-record 11 assists against the San Antonio Stars.[10] In a regular season game win against the Phoenix Mercury, Schimmel scored a career-high 24 points, where she scored 20 of them in the second quarter, becoming one of six players in WNBA history to score 20 or more points in a quarter.[10] She also earned recognition as the 2014 WNBA All-Star Game Most Valuable Player on July 19, 2014 in Phoenix, Arizona as Schimmel out battled Skylar Diggins by scoring a then WNBA All-Star Game record, 29 points (which would be broken by Maya Moore the following year).[7] In 2014, her jersey was the league's best seller.

I continue to wonder about Shoni's status when comparing her to KML

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom