Silly sayings ... | The Boneyard

Silly sayings ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's been a repeated theme lately that Bob Diaco says some outrageous stuff. And then contrast him with Kevin Ollie.

You do realize the contrast ... Don't you? Diaco (to my ear isn't as charismatic as Ollie - who I think is a true unique speaker) has a different platform. In a start-up (where he is & other UConn coaches have been) he doesn't have the same platform that Ollie has. He really isn't sitting in the upper strata neighborhood & having the 25 years of success/championships. He's got the rundown house bought after the short sale. The PP years left us below stabilization. We couldn't pay the mortgage. The talent level was depleted (even if we had guys with more stars & more Connecticut kids). We have some oddities in positional strength. And the culture thing. Ollie is the transitional bridge from a legend; he's extended superbly unique with his own personal touch.

Diaco has the basic outline right: that doesn't mean he hasn't coughed up some strange in-game moves & things have been rosy. I am encouraged by the hustle of his recruiting (I do know our relative history & think he's higher); the incremental advance of the OLine (he saw this Day One - that's why Foley was retained & Cummings is on the staff); and the youth rising on the field. If this makes me an Apologista again: so be it. I bought the investment again back when I saw Terry Caulley speed past Kent at Memorial. I'm a fan. I think Diaco has gotten beat up around here for things LIKE what Ollie says. You all jump on him because you can. I think you're missing the relative states of these Programs. Our Football was in a disheveled state. His task is different & hard.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but wasn't it you who said Ollie should be on the hot seat if he did not beat St. Joe's?

Reaction Score
There is NO flipping way I said that. Not even close.

Reaction Score
I said this before and I'll say it again. Ollie preaches love and brotherhood, and we love it, because we love winning. Diaco preaches love and brotherhood and we don't love it because we don't love losing. Diaco is going get to get ample time to get it done. I've seen some encouraging things and some head scratching things.

I am not fond of coaches who pat themselves on the back when things go right, and point to how terrible the players are when things go wrong. It is the one thing I've seen from Diaco that I hope changes real quick and that by next year after a loss it's "WE didn't execute" and not what we have seen from past regimes "we told the players and THEY didn't execute".

I really like Diaco's upbeat nature in selling UConn. I think its the sort of things that may pay dividends in recruiting LONG term. To compare Ollie in Diaco in terms of results would be silly. UConn BB has for a long time recruited 4-5 star instant impact type guys, while FB recruiting is a developmental thing at UConn. 6-6, and minor bowl next year would be huge progress from where we are today.

Reaction Score
I care about what he does, not what he says.

Diaco has done some pretty dumb stuff.
As much as it hurts I have to agree with this....Our last loss and no game time changes is still mind numbing! Kent State who has only one win this season that being over Army 39-17 figured it out.
Got film Bob?

Reaction Score
Sorry Pudge. I just remembered that it was a prominent poster whose name started with P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom