Signing day event attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Signing day event attendance

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Randy is keeping his options open until he sees what goes on after spring practice ends. More kids enter the portal after spring practice ends and then he can better assess where the needs are and who is available. His problem with the grad transfers is that there is no binding obligation, so a kid can commit and then pick up a better offer and go. (see David WIlliams running back who went to Arkansas instead of staying here in May 2017).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
His problem with the grad transfers is that there is no binding obligation, so a kid can commit and then pick up a better offer and go. (see David WIlliams running back who went to Arkansas instead of staying here in May 2017).

Now that’s a good nugget

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Couple of items from tonight

RE had Matt King and Marcus Wasilewski speak first. Kids have bought in and you can see the difference in 3 weeks.
Spring schedule altered away from Spring game mostly so the kids get through spring practice go out on spring break and then King and Wasilewski have them for 4 months straight.
Each coach got up and talked about kids they either recruited or will coach.
There is a large contingent of former Univ of Maine players/coaches on the staff.
Erik Watts, Ardell Brown and Dillon Harris stood out on film.
We are faster with these kids aboard.
The 4 grad transfers keeps scholarships open for next year when we have only 8 seniors.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Randy is keeping his options open until he sees what goes on after spring practice ends. More kids enter the portal after spring practice ends and then he can better assess where the needs are and who is available. His problem with the grad transfers is that there is no binding obligation, so a kid can commit and then pick up a better offer and go. (see David WIlliams running back who went to Arkansas instead of staying here in May 2017).

Thing is, if we go into fall again with more than a single open slot we are hurting our long run player development. Can’t have a senior laden class in 2022 and 2023 if we don’t fill all the slots today. We tried this game a bit last two cycles of open slots in the fall only to find nothing to do with them.

Fill all the slots Randy. With 8 seniors, 4 or 5 grad tranfers and what is sure to be some churn, we will have a class of 15 without a problem next year.

Reaction Score
Did you RSVP then bail? Poor form.
I did. I feel bad about doing that. I only realized yesterday that the games were on. I wouldn't have signed up for it if I had known that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
One more tidbit is that UConn would like to sign a tight end, defensive end and a defensive interior lineman.
The portal will have more names after spring practice and up till the summer.

The Portal needs to be fixed from what I heard tonight and no one is sure how 24/7 got the info that is supposed to be for schools and coaches only. The guess was someone gave them a password to get on daily.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
One more thing I forgot. He stated that every position will be where they want it too be very soon, more than likely by the next class.

C

Chief00

Thing is, if we go into fall again with more than a single open slot we are hurting our long run player development. Can’t have a senior laden class in 2022 and 2023 if we don’t fill all the slots today. We tried this game a bit last two cycles of open slots in the fall only to find nothing to do with them.

Fill all the slots Randy. With 8 seniors, 4 or 5 grad tranfers and what is sure to be some churn, we will have a class of 15 without a problem next year.

Let’s stop pretending this is some great strategic plan. We lost too many recruiting battles we thought we might win, so here we are.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Let’s stop pretending this is some great strategic plan. We lost too many recruiting battles we thought we might win, so here we are.
Exactly

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It's funny I actually record every game for UConn Husky Games. But can't stand watching games on delay unless I really have to
I'm the complete opposite. I watch none of the games live. I record them and give the games a head start so I can speed through commercials and halftimes/periods. In games like yesterday's it shortens the length of the torture. I give basketball a minimum 30 minute head start, hockey a little longer and Premier League 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

What jumps out at you as the biggest battles that were "lost"? Maybe Exit 4 or medic would have insight on this. This is a 1-11 team so recruiting will be an uphill battle. Obviously TE is a big need.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What jumps out at you as the biggest battles that were "lost"? Maybe Exit 4 or medic would have insight on this. This is a 1-11 team so recruiting will be an uphill battle. Obviously TE is a big need.

I would consider all these names below recruits we had a legit shot at. Many of these kids visited our campus as juniors or on OV this fall/winter. Some of the names I have included are guys like Bam Brima who was a teammate of our Hunter Webb and we could see that last spring the staff did make a real effort to pull in Brima. I've included a guy like Tyler Rudolph because I hear his family was legitimately interested in Tyler staying home with UConn. I have have the Murphy bros from TX because Edsall and Corey worked them pretty hard last winter/spring and they ended up staying home.

In the end the biggest swings and misses were with Adeyi, Anderson, DeWeaver, Mazotti, Logan and Overton.

1. Zach VanValkenburg (DL) - Hudsonville,Michigan attending/graduating from Hillsdale College, Hillsdale Michigan <--No known decision yet, so probably shouldn't include.
  2. Tyler Rudolph (DB/WR) - from Waterbury attending St Thomas More School, Oakdale CT (Penn State Commit 5/21/18)
  3. Chayce Chalmers (DB/WR) - Stonewall Jackson High School, Manassas Virginia (Virginia commit 6/19/18)
  4. Bam Brima (DE/OT/TE) - Loyalsock Township High School, Williamsport PA (Pitt Commit 6/19/18)
  5. CJ Hanson (OL/DL) - St. John Vianney High School, Holmdel New Jersey (Rutgers Commit 6/20/18 - waffling)
  6. Grayson Murphy(LB) - Bishop Lynch High School, Dallas Texas (North Texas State Commit 6/21/18)
  7. Gabriel Murphy (LB) - Bishop Lynch High School, Dallas Texas (North Texas State Commit 6/21/18)
  8. Aric Horne (LB) - Raines High School, Jacksonville Florida (Iowa State Commit 6/22/18)
  9. Trent Holler (OL/DL) - Greater Latrobe High School, Latrobe, PA (ECU Commit 9/22/18)
  10. Malachi Burby (DE) from Berlin CT attending Cheshire Academy, Cheshire CT (Wake Forest Commit 3/27/18>Decommit 8/23/18>Rutgers Commit 10/26/18)

11. Kaiden Bennett (QB) - Folsom HS, Folsom CA (Boise State Commit 11/3/18)
  12. Isaiah Bagnah (DE/TE) - Lethbridge Collegiate Institute, Lethbridge Alberta Canada (Boise State Commit 11/21/18)
  13. Logan Wilson (DB) - Bishop Dunne High School, Dallas Texas (Kansas State Commit 12/10/18)
  14. Niadre Zouzoua (DE/OLB) from Brockton MA attending Monroe CC, Rochester, NY (Baylor Commit 12/11/18)
  15. Nate White (DE/LB/TE) - Edgewater High School, Orlando Florida (FIU Commit 12/11/18)
  16. Jeremiah Fails (Athlete/SB/DB) - Ocoee High School, Ocoee Florida (WKU Commit 12/14/18)
  17. Kevin Hester (DE) - North Cobb High School, Kennesaw Georgia (UNC Commit 12/16/18)
  18. Stone Smartt (QB) - Del Oro High School in Loomis CA attending Riverside City College, Riverside CA (ODU Commit 12/17/18)
  19. Jaquan Allen (DB/WR) - East Hartford High School, East Hartford CT (Villanova Commit 12/19/18)
  20. Ailym Ford (RB/LB) - West Florence High School, Florence South Carolina (UT-Chattanooga Commit 12/19/18)
  21. Messiah deWeaver (QB) - Huber Heights Ohio attending East Mississippi CC, Scooba Mississippi (ODU Commit 1/14/19)
  22. Wyatt Hummel (OL) - Jesuit Dallas High School, Dallas Texas (Villanova Commit 1/22/19)
  23. David Clayton (WR) - Grapevine High School, Grapevine Texas (Arkansas State Commit 1/22/19)
  24. Jacob Busic (DL/TE) - Westminster High School, Westminster Maryland (Villanova Commit 1/31/19>Decommit>Navy Commit 2-/3/19)
  25. Raykwon Anderson (DB/Athlete) - Charlton County High School, Folkston Georgia (North Carolina Commit 7/13/18>Decommit 12/2/18>Appalachian State Commit 2/4/19)
  26. Zakhari Franklin (WR) - Cedar Hill High School, Cedar Hill Texas (UTSA Commit 2/5/19)
  27. Dominick Mazotti (QB/Athlete) - Amador Valley High School, Pleasanton CA (San Jose State 2/6/19)
  28. Micaiah Overton (TE/DE) - Bessemer Academy, Tuscaloosa Alabama (Liberty Commit 2/6/19)
  29. Kenny Logan (Athlete) - Pedro Menendez High School, St Augustine Florida (Kansas Commit 2/6/19)
  30. Ife Adeyi (WR/Ath) - Mansfield Legacy High School, Mansfield Texas (Houston Commit @ time of offer - Signed NLI 12/19/18>Decommit 1/28/19>Sam Houston State Commit 2/6/19)

Reaction Score
Which makes it that much easier for us to accept more Grad Transfers (guys that are stuck behind a starter, but have the opportunity to come here and showcase their talents for NFL scouts)... Its a perfect 1 (and done) marriage, short term, of course... Get us competitve NOW instead 5 years from now (we can't afford to do that any longer)...

Reaction Score
Quarterback

My argument. We can get Zac Frazier - the clear #3 on the Norte Dame depth chart. Notably we had a PA relationship before. But the point persists over the last decade: some kid at a major Power 5 can be moved to UConn if you have a virtually open slot at QB. That’s rare. There are probably 7-10 kids yearly that fits that profile. They aren’t going to win the Spring QB battle. And they are going into their 3rd year (or beyond). Then JuCo - like Messiah.

Beaudry ain’t a Flyer. I don’t think Edsall’s personality - then his derivative Dunn - behaves like that. There a extensive Data Base. And they went after Beaudry. We aren’t going to get Wimbush (like UCF) who was a #1 at ND. (This is where the 1-11 plays out). But there are lots of kids that fit my Frazier profile. If Beaudry doesn’t win the QB slot ... that means Washington or Krajewski stepped up big time. All good.

Reaction Score

You’re wrong

Bringing in 5 solid transfers - particularly Defense where they played 6-8 Freshmen regularly - is a Plan. QB & DL & LB & Brown & Thompkins are ... what Momma ordered.

They aren’t here because we missed on NE or NJ kids. We couldn’t plug their skill level - which btw you see on a level above HS - into what we had, from a HS level.

Reaction Score
You’re wrong

Bringing in 5 solid transfers - particularly Defense where they played 6-8 Freshmen regularly - is a Plan. QB & DL & LB & Brown & Thompkins are ... what Momma ordered.

They aren’t here because we missed on NE or NJ kids. We couldn’t plug their skill level - which btw you see on a level above HS - into what we had, from a HS level.
Exactly. We have got to win games now or the recruiting will never come along.

Reaction Score
I think it is smart to hold off on committing all of the scholarships. Look at the kids in the transfer portal. There are lots of kids that play every position that aren't committed anywhere and could be options. And, more kids will become available after spring practice.

One other point. Many kids transfer when they are in college, so it's good to build relationships during the recruiting process, especially with QBs. That is how UConn got Zach Fraser.

C

Chief00

Huskymedic’s offer list speaks volumes, as does certain schools we lost to and the number of ships we have open. True, an argument can be made to keeping 2-3 open but we have more and attrition may not be done yet.

C

Chief00

You’re wrong

And we demonstrated the ability to garner that number of late quality transfers when?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom