Sierra Calhoun | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted before. If so, I'm sorry....I was outta touch for awhile. We will see Sierra when UCONN Plays Ohio State. Glad she ended up in a good D1 program. Wish her much success there...not against US, of course!

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted before. If so, I'm sorry....I was outta touch for awhile. We will see Sierra when UCONN Plays Ohio State. Glad she ended up in a good D1 program. Wish her much success there...not against US, of course!

You will see her, but on the bench in street clothes. Like Sadie Edwards, Sierra will not be eligible till after the 1st semester after transfering.

Reaction Score
You will see her, but on the bench in street clothes. Like Sadie Edwards, Sierra will not be eligible till after the 1st semester after transfering.

I didn't think Calhoun was eligible until the 2016-2017 season.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I didn't think Calhoun was eligible until the 2016-2017 season.

I wasn't sure if she was eligible to play or not. I thought not, but we WILL see her. She is on the roster & will at least be on the bench for our game with Ohio State. That will let Omar off the hook this season about who to root for.

Reaction Score
LOL. I thought she is the daughter of the greatest UConn Jim Calhoun.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We saw her 12/30/14 at the Duke game at XL Center. How can she be eligible to play 11/16/15???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We saw her 12/30/14 at the Duke game at XL Center. How can she be eligible to play 11/16/15???

Semesters, quarters, trimesters - slide rules, calculators, eligibility Apps. Picture Emoticon With Eyes Twirling In Sockets! :rolleyes:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Calhoun will redshirt this season at tOSU along with NC transfer Stephanie Mavunga, per NCAA Transfer Rules....

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Because she left at the end of her first semester at Duke (& therefore played very few games), I was unsure if she would be eligible to play. As per NCAA rules, she is NOT, but when we play the Buckeyes, she will be there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Because she left at the end of her first semester at Duke (& therefore played very few games), I was unsure if she would be eligible to play. As per NCAA rules, she is NOT, but when we play the Buckeyes, she will be there.
The rule is dependent on when you enroll at your new school - a year of being at the new school is required - and not on games played.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The rule is dependent on when you enroll at your new school - a year of being at the new school is required - and not on games played.

Mavunga is on the roster too.

Everyone except Calhoun and Mavunga played in their first exhibition.

By the way they won 113-61 over Ursuline (Div II).
I'm not sure if Sierra is eligible or not but there is a stark difference between her Bio and Mavunga and Holland bio from last year. Both Mavunga and Holland bios explicitly state Mavunga="Joined the Buckeye program in August and will redshirt the 2015-16 season". Holland="Holland will be eligible to compete for the Buckeyes at the end of the 2014 fall semester."
There is no such statement in Sierra's Bio leading to this speculation on my part- The NCAA has a provision to make a player immediately eligible (special circumstances) especially if the application is supported by the school from which the player is departing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Sierra is eligible or not but there is a stark difference between her Bio and Mavunga and Holland bio from last year. Both Mavunga and Holland bios explicitly state Mavunga="Joined the Buckeye program in August and will redshirt the 2015-16 season". Holland="Holland will be eligible to compete for the Buckeyes at the end of the 2014 fall semester."
There is no such statement in Sierra's Bio leading to this speculation on my part- The NCAA has a provision to make a player immediately eligible (special circumstances) especially if the application is supported by the school from which the player is departing.
Just saying she hasn't played yet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just saying she hasn't played yet.
Understand. There are others saying she is eligible and other saying opposite. I doing my usual speculating right down the middle.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Understand. There are others saying she is eligible and other saying opposite. I doing my usual speculating right down the middle.
My speculation is why didn't she play? hmmmm?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Calhoun didn't play yesterday because she is not eligible to play. NCAA transfer rules require that she spend a full year of academic residence before playing. Had Calhoun transferred to and enrolled at OSU in January she would be eligible to play in December, i.e., after completion of the first semester. She chose to wait and now must sit out the entire 2015-2016 season. This isn't complicated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This isn't complicated.
Of course it is complicated because it is the NCAA making the decision. Romero KSU to FSU was also suposed to be sitting out a full year, except when she wasn't and then she was suddenly playing. Special circumstances is what ever the NCAA decides.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Of course it is complicated because it is the NCAA making the decision. Romero KSU to FSU was also suposed to be sitting out a full year, except when she wasn't and then she was suddenly playing. Special circumstances is what ever the NCAA decides.

Actually, the situation with Romero was different and complicated and publicly messy and the NCAA responded.

In any event, there is no evidence suggesting Calhoun and/or OSU have applied for immediate eligibility and a minimal search would have answered this question.

When OSU announced that Calhoun would transfer and enroll in classes for the fall semester its statement said:

Ohio State women's basketball head coach Kevin McGuff has announced the signing of sophomore transfer guard Sierra Calhoun.

Calhoun, a 6-0 guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., played 13 games as a freshman at Duke last season before leaving the university. She started all 13 games and averaged 10.1 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game.

"I'm incredibly excited to add Sierra Calhoun to the Ohio State women's basketball family," said McGuff. "She is an outstanding person who will add a tremendous amount to our program both on and off the court. She should be a terrific fit as we continue our march toward national prominence in women's college basketball."

Calhoun will redshirt during the 2015-16 season while fulfilling transfer requirements and will be eligible at the beginning of the 2016-17 season. She will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.

If anyone is thinking circumstances have changed, here is a quote from yesterday's Columbus Dispatch story about the upcoming season:

The itch to do more than watch from the bench might tickle the ears of Stephanie Mavunga and Sierra Calhoun in the minutes before the Ohio State women’s basketball team plays host to Ursuline College in an exhibition game at 2 p.m. today at Value City Arena.

Scratching isn’t an option. NCAA transfer rules say that the two must sit out 2015-16 before becoming eligible to play for Ohio State.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/11/01/1101-osu-wom-bskll.html

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually, the situation with Romero was different and complicated and publicly messy and the NCAA responded.
In any event, there is no evidence suggesting Calhoun and/or OSU have applied for immediate eligibility and a minimal search would have answered this question.
You may be right, doesn't sound complicated at all. That's your idea of a minimal search- McGruff comment from June 6, 2015 combined with an article from yesterday? Of course circumstances didn't change-How could they possibly have?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You may be right, doesn't sound complicated at all. That's your idea of a minimal search- McGruff comment from June 6, 2015 combined with an article from yesterday? Of course circumstances didn't change-How could they possibly have?

Yes, minimal. Two clicks on my computer and I had Ohio State's official, June 6 announcement that Sierra Calhoun had signed. Who said anything about a comment by McGuff? This was the official announcement by the women's basketball program. Another click and I had the story from yesterday's Columbus Dispatch. Calhoun will not be playing during the upcoming season. If you require more evidence then I suggest you check the box score after every game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, minimal. Two clicks on my computer and I had Ohio State's official, June 6 announcement that Sierra Calhoun had signed. Who said anything about a comment by McGuff? This was the official announcement by the women's basketball program. Another click and I had the story from yesterday's Columbus Dispatch. Calhoun will not be playing during the upcoming season. If you require more evidence then I suggest you check the box score after every game.
Thnaks for the suggestion, I will check the box score after each game, this was the same way that I first learned that Romero had played. But I know, I know that was ... too complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom