Sidney Wilson vs. Lafayette | The Boneyard

Sidney Wilson vs. Lafayette

Reaction Score
What do we think Sid's minutes should be at for this game? It looks like he logged 12 against Arizona. After an encouraging performance, i'd love to see what he could do with 20+ against lower competition, to continue gaining confidence heading into FSU. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I agree. I want to see him get more minutes. I think if we are going to make the tourney both him and Polley have to be legitimate scoring threats and respectable shot blockers

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
What do we think Sid's minutes should be at for this game? It looks like he logged 12 against Arizona. After an encouraging performance, i'd love to see what he could do with 20+ against lower competition, to continue gaining confidence heading into FSU. Thoughts?
As long as he shows Hurley in practice that he wants to work hard, I believe his minutes will gradually increase. Maybe 15 to 18 against Lafayette. Hurley wants to win. Sid looks like he can help the team.... but only if he demonstrates to Hurley in practice that he buys in to Hurley's work ethic and team concept.

Reaction Score
Come on, it is Dan, how could you not buy in?

he will see more and more playing time, in other words.

Reaction Score
As long as he shows Hurley in practice that he wants to work hard, I believe his minutes will gradually increase. Maybe 15 to 18 against Lafayette. Hurley wants to win. Sid looks like he can help the team.... but only if he demonstrates to Hurley in practice that he buys in to Hurley's work ethic and team concept.
Yeah that's what im thinking. Need's to be more consistent on the practice end from what ive heard.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It seems like most of our frontcourt is pretty one dimensional. Carlton can’t score and defend against big heavy forwards, Cobb can’t guard anyone outside the paint, Polley is slow and gets blown by, Whaley is MIA, Yakwe was at St. John’s too long...

If Sid can put SOME of all the needed skills together then we might have found something.

Reaction Score
It seems like most of our frontcourt is pretty one dimensional. Carlton can’t score and defend against big heavy forwards, Cobb can’t guard anyone outside the paint, Polley is slow and gets blown by, Whaley is MIA, Yakwe was at St. John’s too long...

If Sid can put SOME of all the needed skills together then we might have found something.

I have to disagree with you on Polley. Not sure what games you’ve been watching but he’s been one of our most solid defenders. What actually killed us in the AZ game was he had to sit most of the first half. Polley is very quickly becoming a key to this team’s success. If he stays in the game and chips in 12 points or so we generally come out with a W. Sid on the other hand was totally lost on defense multiple times to the extent I think he was probably a net negative being on the floor. He’s got a long way to go on defense if you guys think he’s going to displace Polley

Reaction Score
I’d personally love to see Kwintin Williams get the 20 minutes as his going away gift. Still curious about that whole situation. Seems like a great kid who works very hard.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you on Polley. Not sure what games you’ve been watching but he’s been one of our most solid defenders. What actually killed us in the AZ game was he had to sit most of the first half. Polley is very quickly becoming a key to this team’s success. If he stays in the game and chips in 12 points or so we generally come out with a W. Sid on the other hand was totally lost on defense multiple times to the extent I think he was probably a net negative being on the floor. He’s got a long way to go on defense if you guys think he’s going to displace Polley

Put him on a quick, athletic wing, and you'll change your tune. He's limited in who he can guard defensively, so presents a matchup problem when another team attacks that weakness. And a big dominant 4 can take him in the post (this may change in the future as Sal whips him into shape).

He's a classic tweener.

Reaction Score
Anyone notice how Sid has unusually short strides when he runs?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Sid has played like 20 minutes of college basketball. He has all the skills to be a high end defender, but that requires playing time and repetition. He needs to play ASAP, as much as possible even though there will be bumps in the road. This year is about improvement and building a monster starting next season.

Reaction Score
I’d personally love to see Kwintin Williams get the 20 minutes as his going away gift. Still curious about that whole situation. Seems like a great kid who works very hard.
I definitely want to see him get some minutes and see if he can do anything with it. Again, another weird situation with this years team. Just gotta wait and see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Not sure what games you've been watching.

pj

Reaction Score
Players with intrinsic talent have to get floor time to improve and that’s Sid.

Making mistakes in games motivates kids to practice well. It's not unusual for players to practice poorly while they are ineligible to play -- they need the game feedback.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Put him on a quick, athletic wing, and you'll change your tune. He's limited in who he can guard defensively, so presents a matchup problem when another team attacks that weakness. And a big dominant 4 can take him in the post (this may change in the future as Sal whips him into shape).

He's a classic tweener.
I think you are right about the muscle and looking where he came from last year it is starting to show. Looking at him when he steps to the free throw line his shoulders are pretty wide and muscular now. Just needs to fill out some of the rest of the frame and legs. Having Hurley as his coach will help him and these guys immensely to stay positive and fully committed. Sal could probably get you a little psyched up as well.

Reaction Score
Sid needs to learn how to play defense. He looked lost on Sunday on the defenses end of the floor.

Reaction Score

I’ve watched all of them, how about you? My seats are 7 rows from the court and I used to coach high school basketball, so i probably see some things that you don’t. Aren’t you the one saying Jalen Adams sucks in big games? I don’t think you’ve got a whole lot of credibility around here from what I can tell....

Reaction Score
I wish we didn’t play him at the 4 off the bench albeit he does help us spread the floor. I see more minutes for him against Laf. Solid warm up for FSU.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprising numbers... Polley does have a positive dWS and 2.0 DBPM (5th on the team). He’s also 2nd on UConn with a 5.1 BPM. It’s good to have efficient low volume types IMO.

He’s obviously going to get bullied at the 4 defensively, but he has been solid at getting some recovery blocks once in a while. Lineups with both he and Cobb would get smoked though.

I’d like to see more lineups with both he and Wilson personally (with our lack of depth at the 3 and 4 this isn’t easy). But they can switch seemlessly on defense, and the extra length will definitely help offset the obvious deficiencies in our defense. Wilson, Adams, and Gilbert will dominate the ball so Polley makes sense in that unit as a low volume floor stretcher.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched all of them, how about you? My seats are 7 rows from the court and I used to coach high school basketball, so i probably see some things that you don’t. Aren’t you the one saying Jalen Adams sucks in big games? I don’t think you’ve got a whole lot of credibility around here from what I can tell....
I've watched every game. You used to coach high school basketball, bully for you. Never said Jalen Adams sucks in big games. Great post other than that.

Were you at the Garden when Polley got destroyed by Cook?

Reaction Score
HARDOOOOOOOOOOO

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I've watched every game. You used to coach high school basketball, bully for you. Never said Jalen Adams sucks in big games. Great post other than that.

Were you at the Garden when Polley got destroyed by Cook?

If you’re expecting our skinny sophomores to lock down B1G upperclassmen averaging 15 and 8 and our lead guards to be Kemba/Shabazz level right now, this is gonna be a miserable season or two for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom