Sidney Cooks to Miss St | The Boneyard

Sidney Cooks to Miss St

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wish she had considered UConn. She's a talented player who will help Miss St keep pace with South Carolina and the rising Lady Vols. As the old saying goes, prefer the Bird in Hand vs Two in the Bush. Prefer Sidney over the possibility of signing post/forwards recruits that have talent.

The picture is from Sidney Cooks twitter account that someone else retweeted.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Joy....

We're almost there. Almost. Certainly very sturdy depth wise.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Potentially big pickup for Mississippi State. Wonder if she'll apply for immediate eligibility. She was a top 5 recruit but didn't pan out her first two years at Michigan State. If she develops Mississippi State could have a heck of a roster in a couple years with her, Jackson, AEH, Bibby and Taylor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cooks praised everything about Michigan State - coaches, teammates, academics. She just wants to play more up-tempo. Sounds like a winning waiver petition to me.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Or Morehead State.

I'm slipping in my old age :oops: Also how can I forget that across the state from Morehead is Murray State...... The Racers... home of Popeye Jones.

Reaction Score
Potentially big pickup for Mississippi State. Wonder if she'll apply for immediate eligibility. She was a top 5 recruit but didn't pan out her first two years at Michigan State. If she develops Mississippi State could have a heck of a roster in a couple years with her, Jackson, AEH, Bibby and Taylor.
Everything I’ve seen points to her having to sit this coming season. She even referenced it in her interview about the transfer. I didn’t follow her at Michigan State. Is she exclusively a 4 or can she play the post or wing?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Everything I’ve seen points to her having to sit this coming season. She even referenced it in her interview about the transfer. I didn’t follow her at Michigan State. Is she exclusively a 4 or can she play the post or wing?

Havent seen enough of her. HS footage says wing ability (as it did for A'ja Wilson/Brianna Turner) but the limited college footage says frontcourt only. I dont see her playing the 5 for Vic with Taylor there. Wing also doesn't seem like a good fit with Bibby, Scott, AEH and Rickea Jackson all there too. Agree about her sitting this season.

Reaction Score
What do you mean "didn't pan out"?? Stats look reasonable to me. She played well as a stretch 4 and a small bit as a 5, behind Jenna Allen. Allen is graduating and so Cooks would have seen her minutes and importance to Michigan State increase substantially as a junior there. Now she would rather sit out a year at Mississippi State than be a key player on a team that is due to be on the rise. Very strange. Something else must have been going on. At Mich. State, I could've seen her minutes rising to 27-34 per game, points increasing to 15-18 per game, and rebounds to 7+ per game.

freshman - averaged 9.5 ppg, FG% 48.5, 4.6 rpg, 20 minutes per game
sophomore - averaged 9.2 ppg, FG% 46.3, 4.3 rpg, 19 minutes per game

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What do you mean "didn't pan out"?? Stats look reasonable to me. She played well as a stretch 4 and a small bit as a 5, behind Jenna Allen. Allen is graduating and so Cooks would have seen her minutes and importance to Michigan State increase substantially as a junior there. Now she would rather sit out a year at Mississippi State than be a key player on a team that is due to be on the rise. Very strange. Something else must have been going on. At Mich. State, I could've seen her minutes rising to 27-34 per game, points increasing to 15-18 per game, and rebounds to 7+ per game.

freshman - averaged 9.5 ppg, FG% 48.5, 4.6 rpg, 20 minutes per game
sophomore - averaged 9.2 ppg, FG% 46.3, 4.3 rpg, 19 minutes per game

Those numbers are weak for a top 5 recruit as a sophomore playing on a mediocre team, that's what I'm referring to as not panning out. Maybe she wasnt happy at the school or recognized shed never compete for a title at Mich State and wanted that opportunity.

Reaction Score
Those numbers are weak for a top 5 recruit as a sophomore playing on a mediocre team, that's what I'm referring to as not panning out. Maybe she wasnt happy at the school or recognized shed never compete for a title at Mich State and wanted that opportunity.

First, I like her game and skill set, but ProspectsNation had her ranked in the top 50, not top 5, if I recall correctly, so her stats may not be that far off from other top 50 players in their freshman and sophomore years.

Second, Michigan State is a team on the rise and is (or at least was before Cooks decided to leave) expected to challenge Maryland for the Big 10 title in 2019-20. As per ESPN: "Michigan State should be in position to challenge Maryland for Big Ten supremacy."

Recruiting is getting much better. Their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 7th, right behind Mississippi State (6th).

2019 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

For 2019-2020, ESPN projects (or projected, now that Cooks is leaving) Michigan State as the 13th ranked team in the nation. Mississippi State is ranked 8th.

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon lead Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20

Also, Michigan State showed they can compete with top programs, at least at home with wins over Iowa, Maryland, and OREGON. (yes, except for a good win at Michigan, their road record sucked and they got demolished by Notre Dame in the Tourney)

If some experts think MSU can compete (or could have competed) with the top team in Big 10 next year, then maybe they could compete at a high level in the 2020 Tourney as well. So yes, as a person on the outside looking in, I think she is making a big mistake.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
First, I like her game and skill set, but ProspectsNation had in ranked between only in the top 50, if I recall correctly, so her stats may not be that far off from other top 50 players in their freshman and sophomore years.

Second, Michigan State is a team on the rise and is (or at least was before Cooks decided to leave) expected to challenge Maryland for the Big 10 title in 2019-20. As per ESPN: "Michigan State should be in position to challenge Maryland for Big Ten supremacy."

Recruiting is getting much better. Their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 7th, right behind Mississippi State (6th).

2019 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

For 2019-2020, ESPN projects (or projected, now that Cooks is leaving) Michigan State as the 13th ranked team in the nation. Mississippi is ranked 8th.

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon lead Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20

Also, Michigan State showed they can compete with top programs, at least at home with wins over Iowa, Maryland, and OREGON. (yes, except for a good win at Michigan, their road record sucked and they got demolished by Notre Dame in the Tourney)

If some experts think MSU can compete (or could have competed) with the top team in Big 10 next year, then maybe they could compete at a high level in the 2020 Tourney as well. So yes, as a person on the outside looking in, I think she is making a big mistake.

I think those are fair arguments...just checked and she was ranked 69 by ProspectsNation and I believe 22 by AGSR. Very big difference from #5 by HG.

Michigan State had some nice wins and returns a lot of talent, but they just weren't a very good team last year. 21-12 overall, 9-9 in a weak B1G, 3-9 on the road. I'm not sure who actually believes they'd contend with Maryland for the Big Ten title...seems like a nice thought but isn't realistic. Michigan State has made just one Sweet 16 in 12 years under Merchant. Realistically, Michigan State appeared at best to be a Sweet 16 team with Cooks, and that may be a stretch based on coaching results. She also came off the bench this year which may not have sat well with her or made her believe she wasn't going to take a prominent role her last two years like she was hoping.

Mississippi State on the other hand has done as well as anybody the last few years and is a leader in developing talent and winning games. If she wants to compete for a title and have a good shot to play the 4, Mississippi State is a great fit. She has a better shot to get to a Final Four under Vic than she would've at Mich St...I don't think a strong argument exists to prove otherwise.

Other potentials..maybe Cooks saw what Vic did with Anriel Howard this past season and she thinks he can develop her the same way. Maybe Cooks loves Starkville and disliked East Lansing. Maybe she didn't like her teammates or coaches at Michigan State. Maybe there was a different issue we don't know about. I don't think it is fair to conclude she's making a mistake (even if you're acknowledging you're on the outside) because we have no idea what's going on in her personal life or what motivated this decision. Wish her the best and hope she finds what she's looking for at Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
I think those are fair arguments...just checked and she was ranked 69 by ProspectsNation and I believe 22 by AGSR. Very big difference from #5 by HG.

Michigan State had some nice wins and returns a lot of talent, but they just weren't a very good team last year. 21-12 overall, 9-9 in a weak B1G, 3-9 on the road. I'm not sure who actually believes they'd contend with Maryland for the Big Ten title...seems like a nice thought but isn't realistic. Michigan State has made just one Sweet 16 in 12 years under Merchant. Realistically, Michigan State appeared at best to be a Sweet 16 team with Cooks, and that may be a stretch based on coaching results. She also came off the bench this year which may not have sat well with her or made her believe she wasn't going to take a prominent role her last two years like she was hoping.

Mississippi State on the other hand has done as well as anybody the last few years and is a leader in developing talent and winning games. If she wants to compete for a title and have a good shot to play the 4, Mississippi State is a great fit. She has a better shot to get to a Final Four under Vic than she would've at Mich St...I don't think a strong argument exists to prove otherwise.

Other potentials..maybe Cooks saw what Vic did with Anriel Howard this past season and she thinks he can develop her the same way. Maybe Cooks loves Starkville and disliked East Lansing. Maybe she didn't like her teammates or coaches at Michigan State. Maybe there was a different issue we don't know about. I don't think it is fair to conclude she's making a mistake (even if you're acknowledging you're on the outside) because we have no idea what's going on in her personal life or what motivated this decision. Wish her the best and hope she finds what she's looking for at Mississippi State.

Would Cooks have had a better chance of making the final 4 with Michigan State in the next 2 years compared to Mississippi State? Not very likely unless she stayed and their current #7 recruiting class turns out to match or exceed expectations as sophomores and leads the team to a significantly higher level of performance.

As for my comment above about her "making a big mistake", I was/am speaking mostly out of frustration as a Michigan State Fan and alum. Frustration, as in "just when things are starting to look up, with great guards returning, and a highly ranked recruiting class coming in, one of 'our' best players (and easily the best returning big player) decides to leave and play elsewhere." (yes, deep down i realize it could be the right thing for her to transfer, depending on her personal situation and reasoning).

Merchant has definitely been a disappointment, especially since McCallie took MSU to the finals in 2006 and Merchant has not come anywhere close.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cooks on her decision to transfer.

“I felt like I needed to be pushed to another limit and get out of my comfort zone and get back to what motivates me. Coming out of high school as a highly recruited player, I felt I got relaxed with myself at Michigan State. I think I could put myself in a better position to go to the next level and I wanted to go to a program where everyone wants to win."

Hmmm.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As for my comment above about her "making a big mistake", I was/am speaking mostly out of frustration as a Michigan State Fan and alum. Frustration, as in "just when things are starting to look up, with great guards returning, and a highly ranked recruiting class coming in, one of 'our' best players (and easily the best returning big player) decides to leave and play elsewhere." (yes, deep down i realize it could be the right thing for her to transfer, depending on her personal situation and reasoning).

Merchant has definitely been a disappointment, especially since McCallie took MSU to the finals in 2006 and Merchant has not come anywhere close.

Do you want her back? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cooks on her decision to transfer.

“I felt like I needed to be pushed to another limit and get out of my comfort zone and get back to what motivates me. Coming out of high school as a highly recruited player, I felt I got relaxed with myself at Michigan State. I think I could put myself in a better position to go to the next level and I wanted to go to a program where everyone wants to win."

Hmmm.

I guess she is not majoring in Political Science. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom