Side effect of Boise & SDSU to the Big East... | The Boneyard

Side effect of Boise & SDSU to the Big East...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Just shoot me now. Aside from playing Gonzaga, & maybe a trip to Hawaii, how is a Big East-Big West scheduling agreement in the best interests of UConn basketball? Other opportunities? Are we sending the baseball & soccer teams to the Left Coast?http://presidiosports.com/2012/08/ucsb-thrilled-with-addition-of-boise-state-to-big-west/

They mention a scheduling partnership with the Big East, but they don't spell out the details. I'm imagining that we are only sending our men's basketball over there, and I am also imagining that most schools are only agreeing to perhaps one game each at most, if not one game for only half of our teams. This seems like it was the price of admission to obtain a key ingredient for the conference in Boise football, so it is certainly worth the cost.

Also, it seems to me that we could probably turn this batch of lemons into lemonade, by increasing our west coast exposure slightly and capturing more west coast recruits. We are almost certainly going to win all of the games in a Big East - Big West challenge, and perhaps we steal a recruit or two that would normally have stayed in Pac12 country. UConn has always shown that it could go west and get a kid, ever since Kevin Ollie I think, but it always helps to get that extra exposure...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
JC has got la kids before. i'm not a fan of swending our bball team to SDSU and BSU but we are. so is memphis btw. i think its stupid. send lville or something. we should stop acting weak and start putting the tough guy face on. ahhhh this noise

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
JC has got la kids before. i'm not a fan of swending our bball team to SDSU and BSU but we are. so is memphis btw. i think its stupid. send Fecunditying lville or something. we should stop acting weak and start putting the tough guy face on. ahhhh Fecundity this noise

It's hard to say fecundity that noise when you realize that the difference between a conference with Boise and without Boise is easily 3 - 4 million dollars per team. Simple as that. Think of us playing against a team like Hawai'i or UCDavis as a 3 million dollar game. That's not bad at all!!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It's hard to say fecundity that noise when you realize that the difference between a conference with Boise and without Boise is easily 3 - 4 million dollars per team. Simple as that. Think of us playing against a team like Hawai'i or UCDavis as a 3 million dollar game. That's not bad at all!!!

i want bsu and sdsu for all sports in our league. i think this was poorly done and once again the big east did stuff to survive and not think ahead. know how u could have sold byu and types? by splitting the conf east and west with agreements. both sides can add bball onlys so every one is happy. biggest tv contract possible with time zones and endless amounts of games to watch. big cities, huge potential etc we dropped the ball once again by bending over and letting the big west who the are they these days stick a fork up our asses.
some one trying to keep his job does what happened. some one with vision does this.

east-uconn/ruty/temple/cincy/lville/usf/ucf/navy/ecu/mem
smiss/tul/army on deck

west-smu/uh/sdsu/fresno/bsu//byu if not than ust/hawaii/unr/unlv
wy/nm or nmst on deck

east-sju/prov/shu/nova/dep/gt/marq
west-zaga/stmary/lbst/pep........

in fball play your division and the winner of each plays in a ship game at the higher ranked teams place for a bcs playoff chance
in all other sports you play just your division. the big east and the great west or something. fball is just a ship game agreement. this protects bball teams in the east and travel all together. if uconn wants to play @ sdsu, then fine we can call them and since were friends its easy to set up. but none of this bs going on now. this little agreement gets us a huge freaking tv deal. like 15 mil for fball and 5 mil for bball. uconn would make like 20 off this plus out tier 3.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
i want bsu and sdsu for all sports in our league. i think this was poorly done and once again the big east did stuff to survive and not think ahead. know how u could have sold byu and types? by splitting the conf east and west with agreements. both sides can add bball onlys so every one is happy. biggest tv contract possible with time zones and endless amounts of games to watch. big cities, huge potential etc we dropped the ball once again by bending over and letting the Fecunditying big west who the Fecundity are they these days stick a fork up our asses.
some one trying to keep his job does what happened. some one with vision does this.

east-uconn/ruty/temple/cincy/lville/usf/ucf/navy/ecu/mem
smiss/tul/army on deck

west-smu/uh/sdsu/fresno/bsu//byu if not than ust/hawaii/unr/unlv
wy/nm or nmst on deck

east-sju/prov/shu/nova/dep/gt/marq
west-zaga/stmary/lbst/pep........

in fball play your division and the winner of each plays in a ship game at the higher ranked teams place for a bcs playoff chance
in all other sports you play just your division. the big east and the great west or something. fball is just a ship game agreement. this protects bball teams in the east and travel all together. if uconn wants to play @ sdsu, then fine we can call them and since were friends its easy to set up. but none of this bs going on now. this little agreement gets us a huge freaking tv deal. like 15 mil for fball and 5 mil for bball. uconn would make like 20 off this plus out tier 3.

Dan, we don't need to split football. Give this conference one year (and a new tv contract). Once we secure a double-digit million dollar contract (hopefully one that is higher teens rather than lower), and you can expect that we will expand two or three more schools. Aresco has already stated as much. And we certainly know who those two teams would be (BYU / ). Once that happens, we can seriously think about creating a western division for olympic sports, whereby Boise doesn't need to compete with the UCDavis's of the world.

But also keep in mind that I think the olympic sports divisions need to be separate entities!! Anything else is, in my humble opinion, really stupid. Nobody wants to charter cross-country flights for their swimming teams! They will be separate entities, but they will find some sort of common ground in terms of money splits. Then, you will never again have to worry about UConn having to play against the Big West schools again...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I can think of several home and away scenarios in both revenue sports that beat MAC matchups like Akron or Directional Michigan. Yes Nevada teams are one that deliver a state. Hawaii. Wyoming. New Mexico. They beat Quinnipiac on the schedule and /or the bottom 150 in basketball. Football makes for some coastal exposure and late games in the non-PAC-12 states.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you don't want to play a Big West team in maybe one game - but you are willing to have Tulane or Southern Miss in the league. Lay off the rum for a while.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think about the idea these are supposed to be college sports - UC Davis should be much more offended to play Boise State than the other way around. They are a top 10 public university in US News. Boise graduates 6% of incoming freshman in 4 years - about one third of CCSU's number.

Reaction Score
This is all good. The Big West is on its way to becoming a very good conference. Having an agreement with them increases the exposure of the Big East on the west coast (we are a national conference now). Eventually the Big West conference probably ends up on the same TV network as the Big East.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If you think about the idea these are supposed to be college sports - UC Davis should be much more offended to play Boise State than the other way around. They are a top 10 public university in US News. Boise graduates 6% of incoming freshman in 4 years - about one third of CCSU's number.

Why should a school be offended by playing a school in a sport merely because the latter school does not have its academic reputation or admissions standards? What am I missing?

Should Yale have been offended all those years it played us in football where it was a big game for UConn and not so much for Yale?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why should a school be offended by playing a school in a sport merely because the latter school does not have its academic reputation or admissions standards? What am I missing?

Should Yale have been offended all those years it played us in football where it was a big game for UConn and not so much for Yale?

I don't think they should be. I was merely commenting about Boise State being too good for UC Davis. Boise isn't good at anything but football, and it's not like Davis or the other Big West schools give a damn about playing Boise in general.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You should know that by now...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think they should be. I was merely commenting about Boise State being too good for UC Davis. Boise isn't good at anything but football, and it's not like Davis or the other Big West schools give a damn about playing Boise in general.

In football, BOISE IS TOO GOOD for Davis. If they have a debate team or chess team battle, then Davis might get to spin that the other way around.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In football, BOISE IS TOO GOOD for Davis. If they have a debate team or chess team battle, then Davis might get to spin that the other way around.

Yes but they aren't joining the BW for football. It's not like Boise can look down their noses in other sports - they barely field teams.

I was responding to this - create a western division so that Boise doesn't have to compete with the Davises of the world. What has Boise done that puts them ahead of the Big West in anything but football? The BW at least has good baseball programs. Their geography is a bigger pain in the a** than they are worth, it's not like the BW wanted them anyway - SDSU had the juice to get it done.

Reaction Score
actually, doesn't Boise have a decent wrestling team that competes in the Pac-12? And I read somewhere they won a couple tennis titles a few years back as well.

Reaction Score
Just shoot me now. Aside from playing Gonzaga, & maybe a trip to Hawaii, how is a Big East-Big West scheduling agreement in the best interests of UConn basketball? Other opportunities? Are we sending the baseball & soccer teams to the Left Coast?http://presidiosports.com/2012/08/ucsb-thrilled-with-addition-of-boise-state-to-big-west/

Yeah, I'm sure all the basketball players would absolutely HATE a road trip to UCSB or Long Beach St. Especially in late December. Poor them.

Reaction Score

Guess I would have fit in at Boise as it took me 8 years to graduate (although Uncle Sam did take his 2). My daughter took 5 years to graduate from Virginia and my son 6 years from Uconn; lots of reasons to take more than 4 years. Nothing wrong with students having "life" type things to take care of like working and such while going to school. Everybody can't have a daddy to pay their way to Fredoville so all they have to do is pass the J and show up for tests.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes but they aren't joining the BW for football. It's not like Boise can look down their noses in other sports - they barely field teams.

I was responding to this - create a western division so that Boise doesn't have to compete with the Davises of the world. What has Boise done that puts them ahead of the Big West in anything but football? The BW at least has good baseball programs. Their geography is a bigger pain in the a** than they are worth, it's not like the BW wanted them anyway - SDSU had the juice to get it done.

I hear what you're saying, but what you have to understand is that in short order, their double-digit million dollar Big East contract (if the estimates are true about the 10million for the football-onlies) will quickly transform them into something that doesn't belong in the Big West. The same will be said about SDSU, although one could argue that they are already too good for the Big West olympics. That's the difference...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guess I would have fit in at Boise as it took me 8 years to graduate (although Uncle Sam did take his 2). My daughter took 5 years to graduate from Virginia and my son 6 years from Uconn; lots of reasons to take more than 4 years. Nothing wrong with students having "life" type things to take care of like working and such while going to school. Everybody can't have a daddy to pay their way to Fredoville so all they have to do is pass the J and show up for tests.

I took 5 years to graduate that has nothing to do with my point. The Big West gets little athletically from admitting Boise in Olympics sports. Boise isn't doing UC Davis a favor by joining, the Big West is doing Boise a favor by allowing them to join. A school like UC Davis doesn't care about playing Boise State in basketball or soccer or track and field. All they get is a pain in the a** roadtrip to Idaho.

The Big West didn't exactly fall all over themselves to include Boise - SDSU had to make it happen or they would be playing Weber and company in the Big Sky.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, but what you have to understand is that in short order, their double-digit million dollar Big East contract (if the estimates are true about the 10million for the football-onlies) will quickly transform them into something that doesn't belong in the Big West. The same will be said about SDSU, although one could argue that they are already too good for the Big West olympics. That's the difference...

They can cross that bridge if they get to it - it's far from a given that more football money will improve their basketball and other programs.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
...it's far from a given that more football money will improve their basketball and other programs.

Why? It wasn't far from a given that our basketball money helped propel our football. Most (if not all) BCS-level football programs have been able to also install strong olympic sports. It may not be a given, but it almost is...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Bsu bball the past 4 years has greatly improved. They are trying hard to one day get into the pac. Sports rise. Students #s rise. Academics rise. Invest $. Then go to pac is there dream. Bsu bball right now wouldnt finish last in the big east. Dont sleep.

Reaction Score
Why? It wasn't far from a given that our basketball money helped propel our football. Most (if not all) BCS-level football programs have been able to also install strong olympic sports. It may not be a given, but it almost is...

Depends on what the school uses the money for. They may plow it all back into FB, wanting to maintain their golden goose. Or they could use it for academics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom