Sid Wilson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson

Reaction Score
I've seen VItal for 3 years to know what he is & isn't. He is a 7th man on a good team. His turnovers are absolute killers and his horrible shots at times are the same as turnovers. I'm not saying bench Vital but his minutes can come down a little & hopefully Cobb will be leading us in rebounds soon.

I completely agree. Vital is a limited player who has a lot of grit and experience. However Sid is a very talented player with much more upside. If Sid were to get Vital level minutes I have no doubt Sid would average more rebounds than CV.

For UConn to be at its best by March, Sid needs to get more minutes. I believe our best lineup, aka the lineup with the most talent and potential is:

1) Alterique
2) Jalen
3) Sid
4) Polley
5) Cobb

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He's only going to get better with time. It's obvious he has skills and athleticism, and time will hone that potential

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why people still don't get this. For where we want to be, back to being a really good team/program Vital and Carlton come off the bench. They are starting because of the situation we are in but with Sid now I would imagine Vital and Polley to lose some minutes.

But we're not a good team yet.

Carlton and Vital are good enough to start--though I would put Cobb over Carlton at this point, probably. Vital was playing much better the last 5 games in terms of decision-making. All of our guards were overwhelmed and made bad decisions yesterday. Honestly, I'll take him getting to the rim, rather than jacking 3s, when he doesn't know what to do. Charges are dumb, but shows Hurley is helping to change his instincts as a player.

'Rique was a complete no-show for most of the game. Jalen destroyed our momentum with turnovers, missed FTs, and had 2 open shots to bring us back and missed. If you want to talk about momentum killers, our leader failing has to be first and foremost. Vital was the worse player on the floor, but the standard for Jalen needs to be much, much higher, because he's shown he is capable.

After all that, I'm still impressed we were able to keep it close. Like I've said before, we're a couple of those dumb decisions away from winning this game. Not bad against a solid P5 team.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. Vital is a limited player who has a lot of grit and experience. However Sid is a very talented player with much more upside. If Sid were to get Vital level minutes I have no doubt Sid would average more rebounds than CV.

For UConn to be at its best by March, Sid needs to get more minutes. I believe our best lineup, aka the lineup with the most talent and potential is:

1) Alterique
2) Jalen
3) Sid
4) Polley
5) Cobb

You should have doubt. Sid is not a good rebounder. He's athletic but frail.

I think he COULD, but "no doubt" is a ridiculous thing to say.

Reaction Score
You should have doubt. Sid is not a good rebounder. He's athletic but frail.

I think he COULD, but "no doubt" is a ridiculous thing to say.

Sid has grabbed 5 rebounds in 17 minutes thus far after two games. At 6-7 with a lot of bounce, and with Hurley's coaching I am very confident in my belief that if Sid were to average 27 minutes a game like CV, Sid would be averaging more rebounds per game than CV.

CV is a good rebounding guard, but he is a limited player, even when it comes to rebounding. In the three games against Syracuse, Iowa, and AZ he has grabbed a total of 4 rebounds. CV's limitations are more clear against hi-major programs who have tall and athletic players.

Reaction Score
Bigger lineups coming we're gonna need more El-Sid. Hurley will figure out who loses the minutes but skinny as he is Sid has ability. Let's not demand too much too soon from him. Do we get him for 4 years?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bigger lineups coming we're gonna need more El-Sid. Hurley will figure out who loses the minutes but skinny as he is Sid has ability. Let's not demand too much too soon from him. Do we get him for 4 years?

I think there is very little chance he stays more than three seasons.

Reaction Score
Sid has grabbed 5 rebounds in 17 minutes thus far after two games. At 6-7 with a lot of bounce, and with Hurley's coaching I am very confident in my belief that if Sid were to average 27 minutes a game like CV, Sid would be averaging more rebounds per game than CV.

CV is a good rebounding guard, but he is a limited player, even when it comes to rebounding. In the three games against Syracuse, Iowa, and AZ he has grabbed a total of 4 rebounds. CV's limitations are more clear against hi-major programs who have tall and athletic players.

Not saying you're wrong. I agree Sid SHOULD be a better rebounder. But suggesting it's inevitable doesn't give credit to Vital's ability. He is a pretty darn good rebounder for his size and hustles as hard as anyone. He's still a bonehead, don't get me wrong.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I think there is very little chance he stays more than three seasons.
Even if he leaves, that means we are getting a damn good third year out of him.

Reaction Score
I’d be quite happy with 3 years and if he wants the NBA he needs it.

Reaction Score
You can't just extrapolate; it doesn't work like that.

Christian Vital is a good rebounding guard because he wants to be good at that. He eagerly goes in and grabs them. A 6-7 guy doesn't just become better on the boards. A 17 minute history cannot be just pushed by math. Wilson should develop and get minutes. That doesn't diminish tangible and intangible qualities of CV.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Like the time he sealed the game with free throws against Syracuse at the Garden?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sid has a lot of potential, and hitting from outside increases that potential. I'm still waiting to see if he can really put the ball on the floor and go by people.

Everybody seems to have their favorites around here, but every decent college basketball team has good players who don't play very much. That's how it works. Aside from Jalen, and maybe Gilbert, there is nobody on this team that is clearly better than whoever is behind them in the rotation.

PG: Al, Smith, (Jalen at times)
SG: Jalen, CV, Smith B. Adams.
SF: Sid, CV, Smith, B. Adams (potentially Polley)
PF: Polley, (eventually Diarra), Sid (against small teams), Whaley, Yawke, Williams
C: Carlton/Cobb, Yawke

That's the team. I don't see room for anybody to be claiming that they should be getting a ton of minutes at the expense of their backup. Even Jalen is playing 5 minutes less than last year. Just wait until next year.

For now, I expect Hurley to adjust to match up to the opponent, and to the foul situation. Polley fouls bought Sid extra minutes and he did a good job with them. CV didn't play well yesterday, but neither did Smith, leading to even more minutes for Sid. CV comes out and plays a great game, or Smith does (and they both have this year) and Sid will play less.

Reaction Score
Yesterday Sid grabbed a rebound, outlet passed while still in the air and had his legs taken out as he wiped out on the floor. He was fine. he's athletic and can rebound.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson is good. We saw quite a bit in a few sequences of play. He can now focus on getting better every day ... and on the big stage. He can shoot; and he can create to the rim. Let's be excited about that piece.

Reaction Score
Once Diarra comes back we might see some more traditional lineups with Sid at the 3 but until then I think he will spending most of his time at the 4. Unfortunately our 4 and 5 position is pretty weak right now besides Cobb on offense. Our guards and Swings are the strongest positions.

Reaction Score

1) Alterique
2) Jalen
3) Sid
4) Polley
5) Cobb
I agree. That's the winning lineup once Sid and Cobb get better on defense

Reaction Score
Gilbert and Wilson are essentially first year players. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. They're clearly talented - but there's nothing shocking about what either one of them do well or poorly or what needs to be worked on. I expect both to be really good players here, eventually.

Vital is what he is. Energetic player who can shoot and rebound, but isn't a very good defender and if you can get him to put the ball on the deck, he's turnover central. That's him in a nutshell.

The most interesting guy to me on this team is going to be Diarra. If he can give this team a defensive dimension up front, I think it can change some things for them.

Reaction Score
Sid's athleticism, even on routine plays, really provides a contrast for just how unathletic our program has become. I love our kids but we are still way behind top schools in terms of raw athleticism. It's nice to have someone like Sid again.
Good point, it's shocking really. In the first few minutes of game play you can see he's more athletic than anyone we've had in the past few years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Once Diarra comes back we might see some more traditional lineups with Sid at the 3 but until then I think he will spending most of his time at the 4. Unfortunately our 4 and 5 position is pretty weak right now besides Cobb on offense. Our guards and Swings are the strongest positions.

Think we gotta accept the fact that Diarra's not going to just slot in and hit the ground running. Coming off surgery, it's gonna take time. Shooting for late Feb.

Reaction Score

1) Alterique
2) Jalen
3) Sid
4) Polley
5) Cobb

love that lineup. I think Sid has the potential to be a big time player. I know Hurley wants to develop Carlton. But he needs to give Cobb more minutes. Cobb is producing on the court but seems like he has a really short leash. Let the big fella play.

Reaction Score
While Sid did not put on a ton of weight the last year plus, he really worked on his jumper. Ollie really wanted him to focus on that last year while he sat out. He was known as more of a slasher in HS. If he can be a 40% 3 point shooter with his ability to get to the hole he is gonna be a stud. This summer he needs to live in the weight room. Sal is on him probably more than anyone at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom