Sid Wilson expectations | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson expectations

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
What are your thoughts on Sid’s game? I was so bummed when he chose SJU over us. I’ve been underwhelmed since. He’s had some time to work on things. The line drive shot probably hurts his accuracy and bothers me. He can be great in small spurts at both ends of the floor. What’s next for him stats wise?

Reaction Score
This is all on the player himself. Typical young guy coming in who already is gifted with above average potential and skills. What is Sid going to do to assure he is a flip of the hand from hitting the scorers table? Learn to understand the game, shoot it better, play defense and make sure those minutes you are given are 110% effort and then some.

Reaction Score
Eh. I don’t kno bout sid . I’m assuming he ll be more active and a little less turnover prone. That jump shot is still dead. I’m not counting on huge things from him this year. I was so excited when he came in for the first time against zona last year and had that great stretch. But since then, eh. Hope he kills it this year but not confident he does

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sid's situation is so interesting because of his crazy athleticism. I hope he figures out what he needs to in order to get the most out of it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I hope I’m wrong but not much. He’s technically an upperclassman he should “get it” by now. He should have stayed the summer with the rest of the guys to work with Sal given his lack of strength, he should have understood the defensive schemes better by the end of the season last year, still doesn’t seem engaged enough to me. Again, I’m praying I’m wrong because we can really use a solid contributor on the wing right now.

Reaction Score
I’m expecting 50 dunks. That should be a goal of his and a goal hurley has for him.

Reaction Score
I think we will see flashes of great athleticism and some real contributions on occasion, especially in an uptempo game. Consistent production would be great, but I am certainly not counting on it.

Reaction Score
The big thing is for him to not stop the ball movement. Last year he constantly would catch & stand there holding the ball, which would break the rhythm & obviously as all of you know make it super easy on the defense to defend the Huskies.

He just has to play loose, move it, use his athletic ability, get up & down, & the rest of the skills will come organically.

That where I see how he fits in a positive way his sophomore year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's got the natural ability to be a pain on D and the boards. Hope he can pick up the mental ability for that. If his shot doesn't show, c'est la vie. he can be a slasher/put back type of guy and lock down D.

Reaction Score
I hope he has improved, but I'm skeptical. In that exhibition he looked like I would expecr--a great athlete playing against lesser athletes. Hopefully he can shows some flashes of shooting, passing, or ballhandling ability... he hasn't shown any of it to date. Any ONE skill would make him serviceable with his athleticism

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Sophomore year Marcus Johnson, only better from the FT line and more blocked shots.

Reaction Score
I see Sid having a solid year. It's my understanding that Sid spent the summer working hard on his game and his S&C alongside the other players on the team. He's going to play solid minutes as Hurley will use the depth of his roster to facilitate the defense he wants to play. Sid can guard the perimeter as well as help inside with his athleticism, contesting shots and rebounding. Offensively I'm looking for Sid to be more aggressive, in transition, slashing to the hoop, and establishing a midrange game. Sid will be a big part of what we do on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He can’t shoot, dribble, pass, rebound, or defend. He was a liability on the court last season. Given the hype I was very disappointed, borderline shocked how bad he was.

Reaction Score
He has the potential to score 10-12 points per game, in close on put backs and dunks. Also impact as a shot blocker. The question is can he defend and handle the ball without turnovers? I’d like to see him play with emotion. Did he work hard? Seems he did and if true I hope he’s rewarded.

Reaction Score
I hope he has improved, but I'm skeptical. In that exhibition he looked like I would expecr--a great athlete playing against lesser athletes. Hopefully he can shows some flashes of shooting, passing, or ballhandling ability... he hasn't shown any of it to date. Any ONE skill would make him serviceable with his athleticism

I see this too. One skill or go to move in the half court could open up other opportunities and diversify our offense. Why he can't consistently put away open looks is a mystery.

Reaction Score
If you don't come in as an instant impact guy, you need to WORK to improve. If you don't WORK you will never become an impact player.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The BY is incredibly hard on a kid w/ a great deal of talent who has had one year of live competition. Sid should live in the high post and baseline offensively and use his athleticism to impact the game. Outside of Bouk, he's the only high level athlete we have. Let's develop him before we write him off. By the way, seems there is a steady undercurrent about Sid's work ethic. Anyone here w/ proof of Sid not putting in work with Sal and his teammates over the summer?

Reaction Score
Eh. I don’t kno bout sid . I’m assuming he ll be more active and a little less turnover prone. That jump shot is still dead. I’m not counting on huge things from him this year. I was so excited when he came in for the first time against zona last year and had that great stretch. But since then, eh. Hope he kills it this year but not confident he does
I’m so on the fence with this kid. DH gave him great praise in the beginning of the season last year, but he played nowhere near the hype. Those rushed 15 footers from the FT line has got to stop along with a lot of mental mistakes. I’m hoping he got rid of his freshman jitters and comes into his own this season because we sure can use him.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I think Sid's has to stop over thinking on offense which causes the hesitations & ensuing problems associated with it. Defensively he has fewer issues because he doesn't have the time to think about it. I believe he is fearful of making mistakes which causes the problems he's trying not to make. That's probably why Hurley had praise for him last year before the season but didn't show on the floor during games but did in practices. I'm hopeful that when he figures it out we will see a much better player.

Reaction Score
The BY is incredibly hard on a kid w/ a great deal of talent who has had one year of live competition. Sid should live in the high post and baseline offensively and use his athleticism to impact the game. Outside of Bouk, he's the only high level athlete we have. Let's develop him before we write him off. By the way, seems there is a steady undercurrent about Sid's work ethic. Anyone here w/ proof of Sid not putting in work with Sal and his teammates over the summer?
It has been discussed here several times. He has the ability. His work ethic and lack of dedication are holding him back.

Reaction Score
Sid had 16 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks against Memphis last season. I think he is a bit better than many of us give him credit for, me included.

Thanks for the reminder. Although a 78-71 road loss, the Memphis game was indeed memorable. The team played without J. Adams and Alterique, using just 7 men. Carlton, in early foul trouble, played just 14 minutes, scored one point. Should have been a 30-point loss. Sid played 36 minutes enroute to his 16-6-3. Polley had 20 points and 6 rebounds in 34 minutes. Shows the latent potential in these guys if the situation compels and the spirit calls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually thought he played fairly well in the exhibition other than his shooting. He looked like he had a better understanding of what to do. To be a tournament team we are going to need Sid to be a contributor. I expect ups and downs but hope more ups as the season progresses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom