SI / Why unproven coaches get hired | The Boneyard

SI / Why unproven coaches get hired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aw man - keep up. http://the-boneyard.com/threads/the-next-head-coach.44658/page-7#post-711097 ;)

But I also thought this was a great point:

MR: USA Today‘s Dan Wolken mentioned a quote from Coastal Carolina head coach Joe Moglia, a former CEO who was trying to break into head coaching. “The vast majority of athletic directors and presidents are good guys, they’re smart guys, they care,” Moglia said. “But do they truly understand risk-reward? No. The best decisions I made in my career were decisions on people — what are the skill sets required for success? I think what you’d find is I don’t just have the skill sets, I have tremendous competitive advantages.” I think you hit it right on the head. The people in charge of making the decisions are the ones at fault. The coaches ultimately have a job to do, but no one’s going to begrudge them for saying yes to a paycheck, the same way no one’s going to get mad at a kid for accepting a scholarship at Duke even if he’s maybe just a mid-major player. Talent evaluation is critical, as is knowing the risks when you’re hiring a person. So when a school like USC goes out and hires and Andy Enfield for its basketball program, you hope it did its homework. And whoever the Trojans go after post-Kiffin will raise the same questions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
ZE: I don’t see Kiffin landing another big-time head-coaching gig any time soon, at least until he’s proven himself. I’d be interested to see if a school along the lines of UConn, or some place like that, takes a shot on him. Despite his USC struggles, he would still provide an immediate spark from day one. Now, does Kiffin lower himself to the level of a smaller head-coaching gig? Or does he do what you suggest and go the offensive coordinator route, perhaps in the NFL? Either way, I don’t think he’s unemployed at the start of next season. What’s your guess?

God, I hope not.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Supposedly Moglia took the job for $1. He just wanted to get into coaching. Coastal Carolina took the chance and now are a top ten FCS team!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I've been waiting for someone to float his name to UConn. I'd certainly call him if I were part of the search.

Reaction Score
ZE: I don’t see Kiffin landing another big-time head-coaching gig any time soon, at least until he’s proven himself. I’d be interested to see if a school along the lines of UConn, or some place like that, takes a shot on him. Despite his USC struggles, he would still provide an immediate spark from day one. Now, does Kiffin lower himself to the level of a smaller head-coaching gig? Or does he do what you suggest and go the offensive coordinator route, perhaps in the NFL? Either way, I don’t think he’s unemployed at the start of next season. What’s your guess?

God, I hope not.

My thoughts are thanks for trying to set us back another 5 years and seal our fate forever. NO!

Reaction Score
We aren't taking a flyer on Kiflin, don't worry about that. Just like we aren't hiring Charlie Weis. I'm also skeptical that we'll hire a 1AA guy. If we do, it will be someone from the CAA, not the Patriot League. My guess is A coordinator at a Big Ten maybe an ACC program or a MAC/Sunbelt head coach. And UConn will spend pretty big money to land its man. Not Alabama big, but legitimate enough to get the guy they want. We're not paying MAC level contracts either.

Reaction Score
FSU took a flyer of a sort in hiring Jimbo...as did Clemson with Dabo...both with zero HC experience.

Having one of those cutesy southern nicknames like Jimbo and Dabo may be correlated to success on the field. Now Bo Pellini has a great first name but just can not be a southern coach with that eye talian last name.

How did we miss Erk Russel?

Reaction Score
We aren't taking a flyer on Kiflin, don't worry about that. Just like we aren't hiring Charlie Weis. I'm also skeptical that we'll hire a 1AA guy. If we do, it will be someone from the CAA, not the Patriot League. My guess is A coordinator at a Big Ten maybe an ACC program or a MAC/Sunbelt head coach. And UConn will spend pretty big money to land its man. Not Alabama big, but legitimate enough to get the guy they want. We're not paying MAC level contracts either.

You are inconsistent as hell.

You were Bigtime Anti-Kevin Ollie. I get that. But, I think there was plenty of anecdotal information to say ... this guy is special. (yes ... it was NBA not college) A Coordinator at an ACC or B1G school, imo, has no track record (excepting one that was a HC somewhere before). So ... given the theme of this article: You are far better with a Rob Ambrose (or a Joe Moorhead). But, more likely a Peter Lembo (Ball State) or a Dave Clawson (Bowling Green). I think Coordinators of NFL teams must be explored. Particularly (as with O'Brien of Penn State) if they have had recruiting chops. Sunbelt? You got to match our recruiting fields of PA, MD, GA, FL, OH ... we just need to do well in CT/NE and some NJ; but, you have to go deep in 2-4 of these others (particularly Florida for speed).

Reaction Score
It really is all about recruiting. A HC that can create some excitement, talk great athletes into being part of a program buildout, is the asset needed as much as an X's and O's guy.

I'd want...

1...a coach who can evaluate talent and spot kids who may not yet be five or four stars but will develop.
2...a coach who projects enthusiasm and excitement for the future.
3...a coach who can build a team of young energetic assistants who are recruiting demons.
4...a coach who can make kids believe in his dream.

Reaction Score
You are inconsistent as hell.

You were Bigtime Anti-Kevin Ollie. I get that. But, I think there was plenty of anecdotal information to say ... this guy is special. (yes ... it was NBA not college) A Coordinator at an ACC or B1G school, imo, has no track record (excepting one that was a HC somewhere before). So ... given the theme of this article: You are far better with a Rob Ambrose (or a Joe Moorhead). But, more likely a Peter Lembo (Ball State) or a Dave Clawson (Bowling Green). I think Coordinators of NFL teams must be explored. Particularly (as with O'Brien of Penn State) if they have had recruiting chops. Sunbelt? You got to match our recruiting fields of PA, MD, GA, FL, OH ... we just need to do well in CT/NE and some NJ; but, you have to go deep in 2-4 of these others (particularly Florida for speed).
A Rob Ambrose type has a shot, but I don't think so. Serioulsy doubt we'd look at Joe Moorhead, not because he might not be a good coach, just that it is too big a reach. He coaches in the Patriot League. That is a level too low. Add to that the fact that the P league just began awarding football scholarships this year, but Fordham has been giving them out since 2010 and he is really hard to evaluate. Is he successful because he is a great coach or is he successful because he has more depth and more talent than most Pat League teams by virtue of having multiple years of scholarship players than his compatriots. Again, I'm not arguing that Moorhead isn't a good coach, just that he isn't going to be considered for the UConn job. The jump from mid-level 1AA is just to big a one to make in most cases. Add the scholarship factor and it becomes impossible. Could he land in the MAC? Absolutely. But despite our performance against Buffalo (And Western Michigan the past 2 years) we're a step above those programs.

I agree with you on the Sunbelt not matching our recruiting base, too. I really was using the Sunbelt/MAC as a level, not the specific league. I said coordinators because that is by and large the source of most new head coaches, and one never should ignore the overall odds. And the Big and ACC mostly recruit where we do, Pennsylvania, NJ, Florida GA, VA etc. Finally, I love Lembo. I don't understand the love for Clawson. Seems to me to be the ultimate hype guy whose rep far out ways his actual accomplishments. And lost to Lembo head to head for what its worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom