SI: Maya "Greatest Winner in History of Women's Basketball" | The Boneyard

SI: Maya "Greatest Winner in History of Women's Basketball"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fantastic article about a fantastic player and person. I imagine this will reignite the GOAT debate again. (Maya by a hair over Diana :D )

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We can debate GOAT and there is never an outright winner, just opinions. And of course it is a constantly changing landscape. But ... how lucky are we as Uconn fans to have so many former players in the discussion. And to my mind, all very articulate and inspiring away from the court, too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder. If Maya did not make that fantastic shot at the end (or only had an ordinary game) but the Lynx still won, would she have gotten this award? If not, who?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fantastic article about a fantastic player and person. I imagine this will reignite the GOAT debate again. (Maya by a hair over Diana :D )
In fairness, Dee's career is in the twilight, and Maya's is at the apex. Maya is something like 8 years younger than Dee and still has many years to amass records, etc. Honestly, I think Stewie will eclipse them both. But she's just a baby! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds like GOAT hair to me--Mohair! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In fairness, Dee's career is in the twilight, and Maya's is at the apex. Maya is something like 8 years younger than Dee and still has many years to amass records, etc. Honestly, I think Stewie will eclipse them both. But she's just a baby! ;)
I believe the age difference in 7 years--to the day. June 11, 1982, for Dee, and June 11, 1989, for Maya.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“I think a winner has to be a master of preparation, they have to be a master of connection, extremely competitive and have really high standards for themselves and the people around them. They have to be willing to put in that emotional energy to hold each other accountable. They have to have a lot of passion—sustained excellence takes conviction and passion and focus. When you are dealing with a team sport, you also have to be willing to adapt and be flexible."

This sounds exactly like UConn, Geno, and the players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach Reeve's comment is what I think separates Maya from others:

"She just has a great belief in herself that she can do anything. That is the greatness of Maya.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coach Reeve's comment is what I think separates Maya from others:

"She just has a great belief in herself that she can do anything. That is the greatness of Maya.”
Lots of people have that belief, unfortunately very few actually have the ability! For most of them in the athletic realm it is just a fantasy dream of greatness.

Used to call it 'playground' mentality, and you can see it in almost every pick-up game around the country - the guy or gal who believes every shot they take is a great one and will be a swish, while his teammates are desperate to find a different player for their next game.

I preferred a different quote from Reeve's: “The thing that was obvious to me the first day she stepped into our training camp is she has very contagious winning behavior.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of people have that belief, unfortunately very few actually have the ability! For most of them in the athletic realm it is just a fantasy dream of greatness.

Used to call it 'playground' mentality, and you can see it in almost every pick-up game around the country - the guy or gal who believes every shot they take is a great one and will be a swish, while his teammates are desperate to find a different player for their next game.

I preferred a different quote from Reeve's: “The thing that was obvious to me the first day she stepped into our training camp is she has very contagious winning behavior.”
Well, there is a difference between fantasy and reality. Maya has confidence based on her past performance. Others have confidence based on delusion.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
DT3's resume is superior to Maya's at every level so I don't know which hair's you're counting. DT3 is the greatest Woman's Basketball player ever. Maya may yet get there, but as Djimon Honshu told Russell Crowe's ghost at the end of "Gladiator" "not yet."

Reaction Score
Geno has always said, " Diana is the GREATEST WINNER in the history of WBB!"
At this point in their careers the edge most likely is in DT's side of the ledger, but give Maya 5 to 8 comparable years as she's had and she just might take that mantle off Diana's shoulders!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DT is the greatest... but her character throws a monkey wrench into the debate

Reaction Score
Maya has always been my favorite of the two but it was DT who got me watching UCONN WBB to begin with. No doubt DT is (was) a great player, and perhaps the greatest of all time, at least for now. I think the fact that DT won three championships at UCONN to Maya's two will always put DT above Maya for many on this board no matter what accomplishments Maya might achieve. I will say this though. When there is an important game to be played you'll usually find Maya and Sue in the stands rooting the team on. I can't recall the last time DT made such an appearance but it's also possible I've overlooked one. Just an observation. I'll welcome a correction.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The debate will continue. Five or so years after they both (i.e., Maya) has retired we'll be able to make an apples to apples comparison. Until then, it's good that we have so many options to talk about.

(Of course, by then Stewie will have moved up higher in the conversation. ;))

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maya has always been my favorite of the two but it was DT who got me watching UCONN WBB to begin with. No doubt DT is (was) a great player, and perhaps the greatest of all time, at least for now. I think the fact that DT won three championships at UCONN to Maya's two will always put DT above Maya for many on this board no matter what accomplishments Maya might achieve. I will say this though. When there is an important game to be played you'll usually find Maya and Sue in the stands rooting the team on. I can't recall the last time DT made such an appearance but it's also possible I've overlooked one. Just an observation. I'll welcome a correction.
Highlighted part was true until a few years ago for many - then Stewart had to screw things up and win 4, and the 3 is greater than 2 argument lost a little steam with those in the DT camp - hard to argue that 3 is greater than both 2 and 4!!!:eek::cool: And then of course Moore screwed things up last year with her 4th WNBA crown - now she has 2 plus 4 vs. DTs 3 plus 3.

Part of the attendance issue is schedule - Sue has spent many more years rehabbing injuries than DT, and Moore with her shift to the Asian circuit has a much shorter overseas season. Add to that family - DT is a California girl so off time with family is in LA while Sue and Maya are NE girls and family brings them closer to Storrs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Highlighted part was true until a few years ago for many - then Stewart had to screw things up and win 4, and the 3 is greater than 2 argument lost a little steam with those in the DT camp - hard to argue that 3 is greater than both 2 and 4!!!:eek::cool: And then of course Moore screwed things up last year with her 4th WNBA crown - now she has 2 plus 4 vs. DTs 3 plus 3.

Part of the attendance issue is schedule - Sue has spent many more years rehabbing injuries than DT, and Moore with her shift to the Asian circuit has a much shorter overseas season. Add to that family - DT is a California girl so off time with family is in LA while Sue and Maya are NE girls and family brings them closer to Storrs.
Maya has 4 WNBA titles to Diana's 3. She's also 7 years younger. The final tally could be 6 or more to 3. Brunson has the record, at 5. For Maya to pass Rebekkah, she needs Brunson to retire (or change teams).

Geno used to needle Diana about the fact that Sue had won more Big East tourney championships than Diana could (following the Villanova upset in 2003). Then, Diana's team lost to B.C. the following year. I believe that Dee won only 2 conference championships and Stewie won only 3. Maya (and some others) won 4.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Maya has 4 WNBA titles to Diana's 3. She's also 7 years younger. The final tally could be 6 or more to 3. Brunson has the record, at 5. For Maya to pass Rebekkah, she needs Brunson to retire (or change teams).

Geno used to needle Diana about the fact that Sue had won more Big East tourney championships than Diana could (following the Villanova upset in 2003). Then, Diana's team lost to B.C. the following year. I believe that Dee won only 2 conference championships and Stewie won only 3. Maya (and some others) won 4.
Stewie didnt win 4 conference titles in the AAC... or was her 1st yr with the Old Big East?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie didnt win 4 conference titles in the AAC... or was her 1st yr with the Old Big East?

N.D. 61 v. UConn 59 on Achonwa's basket with 2 seconds remaining. Stef had 18 and 14, but it wasn't enough. Kaleena was held to 8, and Bria was held to 9. We trailed by 9 at the half, but came up short for the 7th time in 8 games against the Irish. Stewie had 16 points, but only 2 boards. It was after that game that Geno said he would show his team how to win a national championship. And he did. Two weeks later, Stewie began her reign of terror.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
N.D. 61 v. UConn 59 on Achonwa's basket with 2 seconds remaining. Stef had 18 and 14, but it wasn't enough. Kaleena was held to 8, and Bria was held to 9. We trailed by 9 at the half, but came up short for the 7th time in 8 games against the Irish. Stewie had 16 points, but only 2 boards. It was after that game that Geno said he would show his team how to win a national championship. And he did. Two weeks later, Stewie began her reign of terror.
this was the last season of the Big East?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom