SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing | The Boneyard

SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing

Reaction Score
How Kevin Ollie could challenge UConn firing
Given that this dispute could turn rather ugly and public for all involved, it’s plausible, if not likely, that they will reach a financial settlement. Such a settlement would involve UConn paying Ollie a percentage of money that he would be owed if had been fired without cause. In exchange, Ollie would contractually relinquish any potential legal claims he might have against the school or its officials. In other words, while Ollie’s employment contract doesn’t have a buyout, the parties could essentially negotiate one ex post.

Reaction Score
Cooler heads usually prevail in the end. I’m optimistic this will settle and all will be good in the world. Although I would be lying if I said I’m not sweating out the Hurley to Uconn or not rumors. We need clarity soon, and the players even more. The only saving grace is our plan B at least involves a Hall of Fame coach.

Reaction Score
Yeah my guess is that the sum gets negotiated. Id be surprised if we pay more than half.
I agree 100%...I also think he will not want any of the stuff he is gonna he accused of as the “for cause” reason he is being fired to get out through FOI. He will take a sum like @JMick just brought up and walk away.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He's an idiot if he doesn't accept a settlement. His future career options will be limited

I think he knows that will be true regardless, which may be why he’s trying to go down in a blaze of glory.

Reaction Score
He's an idiot if he doesn't accept a settlement. His future career options will be limited

I'm just surprised they haven't reached a settlement already. The article it says that is likely as does everyone here, but the fact that one wasn't reached at this point must mean there is a dispute on the dollar amount UConn is willing to pay or a dispute on the severity of the NCAA charges.

Reaction Score
I assumed from the jump that this move was negotiating tactic but the university. I doubt they ever expected to get off scot-free.

Exactly.

The university is playing hardball, like they should. KO is playing hardball, like he should.

At the end of the day, neither side wants a protracted legal proceeding. They're going to haggle and will probably end up somewhere in the 3-5MM range.

Reaction Score
UConn took care of that when they claimed he violated rules. UConn needed to give Ollie a way out, but they didn't. ollie has nothing to lose.
His entire reputation as an upstanding human being? He still has that to lose. He can go to the NBA even with college recruiting violations

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
His entire reputation as an upstanding human being? He still has that to lose. He can go to the NBA even with college recruiting violations

NBA coaches are probably aware of the character stuff and are wary of it getting in the way of the work.

Reaction Score
I'm just surprised they haven't reached a settlement already. The article it says that is likely as does everyone here, but the fact that one wasn't reached at this point must mean there is a dispute on the dollar amount UConn is willing to pay or a dispute on the severity of the NCAA charges.
From my understanding talking to some people with more knowledge than me, we haven't even reached the negotiation stage yet

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Both sides better settle this thing real quick or it's gonna turn very ugly and nasty for all parties concerned.

Reaction Score
UConn took care of that when they claimed he violated rules. UConn needed to give Ollie a way out, but they didn't. ollie has nothing to lose.

That is really off base. Ollie risks further damage to his reputation and the risk of receiving nothing if the University is able to demonstrate that it had just cause. A compromise settlement is the most likely result.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's been reported that the union has turned down dates to meet. They may be the monkey wrench in the works. A quick settlement is in both KO's and the schools best interest but it may not be in the union's SOP playbook.

Reaction Score
It's been reported that the union has turned down dates to meet. They may be the monkey wrench in the works. A quick settlement is in both KO's and the schools best interest but it may not be in the union's SOP playbook.
They have set a date, but it is being kept private. I'll try and find the tweet I saw about it.

Edit: Here it is.

Attachments

• 64B48C47-E3C6-4EB8-89D4-CEE91E8520C8.jpeg
    64B48C47-E3C6-4EB8-89D4-CEE91E8520C8.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 219
Reaction Score
They have set a date, but it is being kept private. I'll try and find the tweet I saw about it.

Edit: Here it is.

Someone ELI5 why they would not even reveal the date this is occurring

Reaction Score
There was a line in an article (most likely posted here because IDK where else I might have seen it at this point) that said a meeting was scheduled for this week. (Overture to Hurley expected: near the bottom of the article)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
From my understanding talking to some people with more knowledge than me, we haven't even reached the negotiation stage yet

That doesn't surprise me in the least. It's the smart move on Ollie's part. He's got the time advantage. He's still getting paid while this is all going on. The time pressure is all on the school. Ollie can drag this out as long as he wants.

His legal position may not be strong when and if it ever becomes necessary for him to file a federal lawsuit, but we're a long way from there yet. Out here in the non- legal world, Ollie has the school over a barrel, and he knows it.

UCONN needs it resolved so they can hire a new coach. With the finances impossible to accurately quantify, that becomes very difficult. How do you determine what you can afford to pay the new coach with the buyout issue unresolved? It drives up the buyout price in negotiations. Ollie has UCONN exactly where he wants.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That is really off base. Ollie risks further damage to his reputation and the risk of receiving nothing if the University is able to demonstrate that it had just cause. A compromise settlement is the most likely result.

What further damage? UConn trashed his reputation when they fired him for cause.

I know there is a lot of Ollie hate on this board and posters think that because they don't like Ollie that UConn doesn't have to pay him, but that is not how contracts or negotiations work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom