OT: - SI could be no more... | The Boneyard

OT: SI could be no more...

Reaction Score
High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Reaction Score
Unfortunately SI has been irrelevant for years. Used to look forward to the weekly issue arriving each Thursday.

A couple of years ago I received an offer and tries the monthly edition asa subscription. Near the end of the subscription period they called to see if I was going to renew. I said no and when they asked why I said it was boring and uninteresting.

The next question from them was Would you like to order a Gift Subscri[ption for someone? Did they not hear what I just said, LOL

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I used to get so excited when they mentioned UConn. Once they had a mini feature about Antric Klaiber missing like his first 20 shots as a freshman or something. Not as excited about that one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The private equity ghouls simply love ruining good things
In this case it was ruined long before that. That was just life support.

Do any of you subscribe to it? If not then maybe admit that magazines are dead and SI did a terrible job of remaining relevant. They even managed to screw up the swimsuit issue, which is probably what was keeping them afloat.

Reaction Score
I used to love getting SI for kids issues when I was a kid. I had honestly forgotten they exist.
There was an issue where the character Buzz something-or-other used the subscribers name as the 'greatest athlete ever'. That blew my mind. I loved those perforated cardboard cards as well.

Reaction Score
In this case it was ruined long before that. That was just life support.
True, but it’s been in the hands of PE for years. I don’t think there’s any question they’re the main cause of all this.

Reaction Score
I used to get so excited when they mentioned UConn. Once they had a mini feature about Antric Klaiber missing like his first 20 shots as a freshman or something. Not as excited about that one.
He made up for it by not missing a shot at Ted's and Huskies.

He was so hyped out of high school. I think he was a 4-star recruit and we stole him away from Georgetown (which actually meant something back then). I think he had more suspensions than starts at UConn.

Reaction Score
There was an issue where the character Buzz something-or-other used the subscribers name as the 'greatest athlete ever'. That blew my mind. I loved those perforated cardboard cards as well.
I used to hang the posters up in my bedroom.

Reaction Score
too bad. my dad used to bring them home from his office for me. always enjoyed reading them.

most likely a combination of private equity ghouls, the demise of attention spans to read an article more than 300 words, and dumb decisions to alienate readership (the swimsuit thing, duh).

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated was the varsity to the junior varsity of Sporting News and Inside Sports.
Treu, but I loved the writing in "Inside Sports". Pete Axthelm's gambling column was awesome.

Edit: found this.

Reaction Score
The swimsuit issue ain't what it used to be
Let's not even go there.
They took a perfect thing, thought about what kind of changes some people might like and screwed it all up.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He made up for it by not missing a shot at Ted's and Huskies.

He was so hyped out of high school. I think he was a 4-star recruit and we stole him away from Georgetown (which actually meant something back then). I think he had more suspensions than starts at UConn.
Got in for a minute against Duke in 99. Can't take that away from him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom