SI.com: Top 10 projected defenses in college hoops | The Boneyard

SI.com: Top 10 projected defenses in college hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn comes in at #9.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/11/05/best-defenses-san-diego-state-virginia-wichita-state

9. Connecticut (DE: 92.7)

UConn also projects to improve substantially from a No. 65 ranking in defensive efficiency in ‘14-15.
Shonn Miller, a 6'7" grad transfer from Cornell, should have a major impact: When he sat out all of ‘13-14 with a shoulder injury, Cornell ranked 350th on D; with Miller in the lineup last season, the Big Red ranked 78th. The return of 7-foot center Amida Brimah, meanwhile, means the Huskies have the nation’s best major-conference shot-blocker.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Wow thought I read this here already or I would have linked up. My bad.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

UConn also projects to improve substantially from a No. 65 ranking in defensive efficiency in ‘14-15.
Shonn Miller, a 6'7" grad transfer from Cornell, should have a major impact: When he sat out all of ‘13-14 with a shoulder injury, Cornell ranked 350th on D; with Miller in the lineup last season, the Big Red ranked 78th. The return of 7-foot center Amida Brimah, meanwhile, means the Huskies have the nation’s best major-conference shot-blocker

I just wanted to highlight one thing!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Shonn Miller, a 6'7" grad transfer from Cornell, should have a major impact: When he sat out all of ‘13-14 with a shoulder injury, Cornell ranked 350th on D; with Miller in the lineup last season, the Big Red ranked 78th. The return of 7-foot center Amida Brimah, meanwhile, means the Huskies have the nation’s best major-conference shot-blocker

LOL here we go...

Reaction Score
I'm excited, and the potential is there for the defense to be great. But this team had trouble with continuity & early recognition of rotations last year - which is why good passing teams (Duke & SMU) carved them up.

So we do have good individual defensive talents. But until we see how they all work together, I think ranking them No. 9 is really, really optimistic.

Reaction Score

Pudge here's the thing :D, ah forget it. LOL

Reaction Score
I'm excited, and the potential is there for the defense to be great. But this team had trouble with continuity & early recognition of rotations last year - which is why good passing teams (Duke & SMU) carved them up.

So we do have good individual defensive talents. But until we see how they all work together, I think ranking them No. 9 is really, really optimistic.

You make some good points but Miller is a transformative defensive player. When you have elite defensive talent at the four and the five, rotations become less important because you can simplify schemes (see last years UK team). UConn's fate defensively will be determined by Brimah's progression, or lack there of. I fully expect him to make the leap but he has to show it first.

As an aside, I find SI's college basketball coverage to be a lot better than ESPN's. There's some decent content there beyond the usual ESPN regurgitation of simple storylines. I did think Cincinnati was an omission, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom