SI---Breaking down the top 10 point guards of the efficiency era | The Boneyard

SI---Breaking down the top 10 point guards of the efficiency era

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Before I read the article I felt a Dukie would be number one and an NC guy would be number two. I almost got it perfectly. His giving Kemba props in the number 2 spot would be like the pope acknowledging that atheism is ideal for some people. It must have killed him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Before I read the article I felt a Dukie would be number one and an NC guy would be number two. I almost got it perfectly.

How does the having a BCU guy first and a Wiscy guy 2nd equal almost getting it?

Reaction Score
Before I read the article I felt a Dukie would be number one and an NC guy would be number two. I almost got it perfectly. His giving Kemba props in the number 2 spot would be like the pope acknowledging that atheism is ideal for some people. It must have killed him.

Also, it's Luke Winn. The same guy who wrote this, when everyone was whining about last years game being the ugliest of all time. He ranks these guys with a mathmatical formula, and even acknowledges its limitations in the write up of Kemba's season saying, "Walker obviously had more value than this formula indicates--there's nothing built in to measure clutch shots, or ability to lead an inexperienced team through an NCAA tournament". He's about as fair as they come and far from a UConn hater.

Frankly, I think its pretty impressive that his value add stats are as good as they are given Kemba's mid-year "slump" and the fact that he had to be the only option on a young team for so much of the year. It just shows how amazing the beginning and ends of his season were and what a truly special player he was.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Also, it's Luke Winn. The same guy who wrote this, when everyone was whining about last years game being the ugliest of all time. He ranks these guys with a mathmatical formula, and even acknowledges its limitations in the write up of Kemba's season saying, "Walker obviously had more value than this formula indicates--there's nothing built in to measure clutch shots, or ability to lead an inexperienced team through an NCAA tournament". He's about as fair as they come and far from a UConn hater.

Frankly, I think its pretty impressive that his value add stats are as good as they are given Kemba's mid-year "slump" and the fact that he had to be the only option on a young team for so much of the year. It just shows how amazing the beginning and ends of his season were and what a truly special player he was.
Yeah I did get it wrong. I was realigning my brain and not thinking things straight. I never read that other article. That was great. I guess if I didn't put my foot in my mouth I would not have had the opportunity to read it. Sometimes good things happen out of bad. Thanks for the link and thanks for not giving me heck for being stupid.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
How does the having a BCU guy first and a Wiscy guy 2nd equal almost getting it?
His revised rating of players counting championships.

Reaction Score
The stats are heavily influenced by schedule and minutes played. It is a lump sum value added, so it helps that Kemba played so many minutes against such a tough schedule.

Reaction Score
Yeah I did get it wrong. I was realigning my brain and not thinking things straight. I never read that other article. That was great. I guess if I didn't put my foot in my mouth I would not have had the opportunity to read it. Sometimes good things happen out of bad. Thanks for the link and thanks for not giving me heck for being stupid.

Awesome, I'm glad you had a chance to read that defense article! It was just so great to read something where a writer actually investigated something rather than just blindly following the immediate made-to-fit-a-preconceived-story group think that so many of these other sheep go with.

Reaction Score
Love the rankings of national championship PG's with Taliek at the bottom. Another hater! Just win baby.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Love the rankings of national championship PG's with Taliek at the bottom. Another hater! Just win baby.
I have already made my amends regarding this article. It is not only thorough but well thought out.

Luke makes it clear he is using a Value ADD formula that John Pudner created in evaluating NBA pgs. I don't know what the value add formula includes in its criteria but I'm sure it excludes things like what are the values of surrounding players, i.e. their skill levels and their experience. And furthermore it probably does not consider teams with multiple pgs vs single pgs. The good thing about using criteria and statistics is it keeps things from including our biases and impressions. The bad thing is it is only as good as the criteria selected.

Reaction Score

It's a formula. Can a formula be a hater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom