SI: Breaking Down Kevin Ollie's Case Against UConn and the University's Likely Defenses | The Boneyard

SI: Breaking Down Kevin Ollie's Case Against UConn and the University's Likely Defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is everyone in the media so focused on the Ray Allen phone call?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Interesting article showing many of the possibilities. My guess (pure speculation) is that Ollie and the university will settle since both sides have a lot to lose as the back-and-forth between them gets nastier.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought that was very well done.

This part made me laugh...

“If other universities now believe that Ollie bribes recruits, it would be much more difficult for those universities to hire Ollie—even if those schools regard him as an adroit recruiter of talent and as a skilled strategist during games.“

Reaction Score
This should be pretty cut and dried. Either he paid this MOAR (mother of a recruit) 30 grand or he didn't. KO seems to be insisting he didn't and that's why it's slander, right? Should be easy to find out either way.

Reaction Score
This should be pretty cut and dried. Either he paid this MOAR (mother of a recruit) 30 grand or he didn't. KO seems to be insisting he didn't and that's why it's slander, right? Should be easy to find out either way.
No. Read the article and it gives an explanation for both sides

Reaction Score
Since we have a new coach and so the potential repercussions of negative PR on the administration (not team or new coach) is diminished, I'm firmly in the "glad to be in the national conversation" camp.

Reaction Score
Since we have a new coach and so the potential repercussions of negative PR on the administration (not team or new coach) is diminished, I'm firmly in the "glad to be in the national conversation" camp.
Not sure about that, too much of this can make us look more like a disorganized mess. The "there's no such thing as bad PR" adage isn't necessarily true here. Especially since a couple of these allegations (shoot around with recruit, phone call to Ray) are patently ridiculous justifications for the firing. If the reports were instead focusing on the all expenses paid trips to Atlanta for workouts, a much more significant violation, that'd be better.

Reaction Score
The lastest I heard is that the university made what they feel was a very fair settlement offer to KO in the last 2 weeks. He believes he can do better in court. The university is not willing to go above the number. So that is where we are at.

FWIW, the attorneys on the university side don't think they can lose in court. Not with the contract language and Ollie lieing to university officials about possible violations.

Reaction Score
At only 45 years of age, and with a championship on his resume, Ollie should be able to land another head coaching position at a top program.

The SI Legal Expert should stay in his lane

I hear you. Ollie can land another head coaching position but it wouldn't be at a top program. Coaches have fallen and gotten back to the top level before but he would definitely need a stop or 2 as an assistant or head coach of a lesser program.

But overall, I think the article is very good and clears up a lot of things.

Reaction Score
The lastest I heard is that the university made what they feel was a very fair settlement offer to KO in the last 2 weeks. He believes he can do better in court. The university is not willing to go above the number. So that is where we are at.

FWIW, the attorneys on the university side don't think they can lose in court. Not with the contract language and Ollie lieing to university officials about possible violations.
Appreciate the intel. Shame on the university if they brought things this far and felt they would lose in court. They better win.....all I'm sayin!

Reaction Score
Question for the Litigators out there....

The notion that KO's attorneys had to file a FOIA request to get info from the school seems odd...Isn't there some type of discovery in these proceedings? Seems like his lawyers were the cause of most of this info coming out

Reaction Score

This is why they build steps leading up to courthouses - a place where many matters are settled. Seriously, in my many decades of practicing law, when parties are heading in the door and (usually) foolishly ready to let a stranger (Judge) or strangers (jury) decide the outcome of the dispute, a settlement is the best option, each party knows what they are getting and what they are giving, known as common sense. Emotions and principles are (legally) very expensive.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
SI article is pretty solid, fair and balanced. I think it's an easy sell that Ollie is a public figure, so the absence of malice standard will likely apply. I don't seem him actually bringing any tort claims like that. His position is not strong at all. As I mentioned the other day, that threat is likely designed to drive up UConn's settlement number.

Reaction Score
Question for the Litigators out there....

The notion that KO's attorneys had to file a FOIA request to get info from the school seems odd...Isn't there some type of discovery in these proceedings? Seems like his lawyers were the cause of most of this info coming out
From the article:

"Further, subpoenas and pretrial discovery requests were not realistic options because Ollie can’t file a lawsuit until after he exhausts his internal appeals and arbitration."

Reaction Score
From the article:

"Further, subpoenas and pretrial discovery requests were not realistic options because Ollie can’t file a lawsuit until after he exhausts his internal appeals and arbitration."

Thx for the info, but that's why I asked the question...that doesn't make sense to me...wanted to get a practicing litigator's view. I know zero about employment law & these types of contracts, but it just seems weird that you go into a hearing without any info..and even if that was the case would probably have been better off than a FOIA request

Reaction Score
I thought that was very well done.

This part made me laugh...

“If other universities now believe that Ollie bribes recruits, it would be much more difficult for those universities to hire Ollie—even if those schools regard him as an adroit recruiter of talent and as a skilled strategist during games.“

#nottheonion

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure that under Coonecticut FOI law once you make something public it’s public. So if Ollie’s side asked for info under FOI they can’t then turn around and say “oh we wanted it for us but you it is protected information for anyone else.” I’ve been told by city attorneys that the reason you FOI information rather than go through discover/subpoenas is 1. You might get something you didn’t know was there; 2. You can use info to embarrass your opponent since there is really no rules on its use. The downside is once it is out there if you find embarrassing information about yourself (hi Kevin) you can’t claim it should not have been released. YOU effectively waived any privacy rights for example.

Reaction Score
Ollie’s contract, which is set to expire in 2021, delineates a number of circumstances that empower UConn to claim just cause. Among those circumstances: Ollie’s neglect of his assigned responsibilities.......

If you can believe what you read on the Boneyard then it seems this is an easy case to prove firing for just cause.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Thx for the info, but that's why I asked the question...that doesn't make sense to me...wanted to get a practicing litigator's view. I know zero about employment law & these types of contracts, but it just seems weird that you go into a hearing without any info..and even if that was the case would probably have been better off than a FOIA request
My guess is they made a formal request for all documents that UConn was relying on to reach their decision to fire for-cause, and did the FOIA request in hopes of getting additional discovery they didn't trust might be forthcoming. I don't know what, if anything, UConn would be required to disclose until at least a hearing was pending.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The article helpfully answers a number of postural and procedural questions.

It also reveals that the author understands what goes into the profile of a typical National Championship coach but not that Ollie's recent performance & corresponding attractiveness to prospective employers is decidedly atypical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom