SI Article on Coach Openings - Painful to read - How far the UConn Brand has fallen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SI Article on Coach Openings - Painful to read - How far the UConn Brand has fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet that a power 5 head coach is not take a job at UConn. Regarding P-5 Coordinators: Gotta stand before you can walk. A $1.3 million first year salary becomes $1.6 in year 2, 1.9 in year 3. You want to throw $2+ million at a unproven commodity? That's almost as bad as paying $million to an "experienced" coach you're sure is more than likely not going to work out like the head of the most recent former regime.

Re-read the last line of the first paragraph again. I said, "We could very well see north of $2Mil if UConn has their heart set on a Narduzzi type (especially now that it is a floated rumor)."

Yes, if UCONN is not offering $2 mill+, they won't be going after any P5 head coaches.

There are precedents, though. Tubberville went from Texas Tech to Cinci, so it could happen. Tubberville was probably pushed, but the same thing could happen at another P5 school.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yes.

Is there a difference?
Yes. Feldman may be oblivious to all things UConn, but Thamel is a flat-out hater -- that !

Hater List (in no particular order):
Pete Thamel
Jeff Goodman
Gary Parish
Doug Gottleib
Dan Wetzel
Adrian Wojnarowski
Dana O'Neill
Joe Lunardi
Gregg Doyle
Seth Davis
...I know I'm missing some, but this my top ten list.

Good guys:
Andy Katz
Jay Bilas
Eammon Brennan
Rece Davis

And almost everyone else is just a bunch of clueless babbling ignorant morons... that includes Dennis Dodd and CT's own Matt Norlander.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes, if UCONN is not offering $2 mill+, they won't be going after any P5 head coaches.

There are precedents, though. Tubberville went from Texas Tech to Cinci, so it could happen. Tubberville was probably pushed, but the same thing could happen at another P5 school.
No Argument if that is the case, but I don't think a current P-5 HC is a target.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes. Feldman may be oblivious to all things UConn, but Thamel is a flat-out hater -- that !

Pete Thamel
Jeff Goodman
Gary Parish
Doug Gottleib
Dan Wetzel
Adrian Wojnarowski
Dana O'Neill
Joe Lunardi
Gregg Doyle
Seth Davis

Good guys:
Andy Katz
Jay Bilas
Eammon Brennan
Rece Davis

And almost everyone else is just a bunch of clueless babbling ignorant morons... that includes Dennis Dodd and CT's own Matt Norlander.
Gregg Doyle hates his own life, not just UConn. Wojnarowski hates Calhoun from his local days, so it is spill over.

Reaction Score

Pete Thamel
Jeff Goodman
Gary Parish
Doug Gottleib
Dan Wetzel
Adrian Wojnarowski
Dana O'Neill
Joe Lunardi
Gregg Doyle
Seth Davis

Good guys:
Andy Katz
Jay Bilas
Eammon Brennan
Rece Davis

Brennan is definitely not one of the good guys. In fact, I consider him to be among the biggest UConn haters out there. I also do not think Lunardi is one of the bad guys; he is harmless, He has a particular job and he usually seeds UConn appropriately in his predictions.

Reaction Score
I think, in many cases, some writers/analysts let their authority go to their heads with their comments or written opinions.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Brennan is definitely not one of the good guys. In fact, I consider him to be among the biggest UConn haters out there. I also do not think Lunardi is one of the bad guys; he is harmless, He has a particular job and he usually seeds UConn appropriately in his predictions.
Lunardi is notorious for underseeding UConn.... look back at the history.

I wasn't sure what to make of Eammon when he came on the scene, but last year, besides Katz, he was the only ESPN writer giving us props.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Brennan is useless, but harmless. He's a Ken Pomeroy disciple, but that's about it.

Reaction Score
This article lost credibility when it said FAU was a prime job and draw a ton of interest. Really?!? To assume a coach would take this job simply because it is South Florida is ridiculous. What about this job other than warm weather would be a "prime draw". The coaching pay is near the bottom of FBS, they recruit as the #6th/7th best FBS school in FL not to mention every FBS team tries to recruit in the state, average 15k fans, worse conference than AAC, will never be a South Florida fan draw much like Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers, etc (outside of championship seasons when FL bandwagon fans tend to climb out of the woodwork), mediocre school academically, no other top tier athletic programs, etc. This is what he says is a prime job over UConn. Selling UConn with the team we have this year and conference affiliation is not easy, but I find it hard to believe FAU is a prime job and the UConn job is not appealing.

Reaction Score
Wow, you're right. I totally missed the Florida Atlantic comment. to call it a prime job is pretty inane and raises questions about the credibility of the whole piece. Unless you have some love for South florida, the area not the school, that job is pretty low on the pecking order.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This article lost credibility when it said FAU was a prime job and draw a ton of interest. Really?!? To assume a coach would take this job simply because it is South Florida is ridiculous. What about this job other than warm weather would be a "prime draw". The coaching pay is near the bottom of FBS, they recruit as the #6th/7th best FBS school in FL not to mention every FBS team tries to recruit in the state, average 15k fans, worse conference than AAC, will never be a South Florida fan draw much like Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers, etc (outside of championship seasons when FL bandwagon fans tend to climb out of the woodwork), mediocre school academically, no other top tier athletic programs, etc. This is what he says is a prime job over UConn. Selling UConn with the team we have this year and conference affiliation is not easy, but I find it hard to believe FAU is a prime job and the UConn job is not appealing.
Saying the FAU is a prime FBS football coaching job is like saying the CCSU is a prime basketball job. FAU is about 30 miles from Downtown Miami. A certain past, and potentially future, national power resided literally right down the road.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What a horrendous article. Seriously, spend 5 minutes researching UCONN before writing about them. I love how he names Rob Ambrose/Joe Moorhead as potential coaches for us and Chad friggin' Morris to SMU. This guy clearly does not know what he's talking about. If we end up with Ambrose/Moorhead as a coach, there will be a fiery revolt here.

Reaction Score
This article lost credibility when it said FAU was a prime job and draw a ton of interest.

absolutely dead spot on observation and a great find. Compare the "I'll pass" list for the UConn job and the FAU job and it's not even a discussion. FAU about 15th on the totem pole in the Miami TV market with little room for growth. You could almost fit their stadium inside Burton/Shenkman. F Thamel.

Reaction Score
yes... the juggernauts of Syracuse, Rutgers and BC create a massive recruiting barrier for Uconn.
Aren't there some decent schools in florida for FAU to compete with outside of UCF and USF?

Reaction Score
What a horrendous article. Seriously, spend 5 minutes researching UCONN before writing about them. I love how he names Rob Ambrose/Joe Moorhead as potential coaches for us and Chad friggin' Morris to SMU. This guy clearly does not know what he's talking about. If we end up with Ambrose/Moorhead as a coach, there will be a fiery revolt here.
I know people like what ambrose and moorehead are doing. I just don't think they send any message about where Uconn is taking Uconn football.
PP was a supposedly safe, low risk, conservative move. It didn't work.
Uconn needs to get the right coach, and part of that equation is getting national relevance or 'sexiness' factor. Ambrose and Moorehead aren't sexy.

They are more like 'getting back together with your old girlfriend' after trading phone numbers with Blake Lively...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom